Phantis Forums

Greek Leftism and Bureaucracy

The hotly anticipated Jason Bourne 5 is now in filming and they selected Greece to play a major part in the film. Original director and team are back so this will be the smash of 2016.

Sadly the Greek Government did not want the film shot in Greece, so they instead will shoot the Athens/Greece scenes in Tenerife..  :tdown:

abc.jpg

04_2.jpg

http://www.gazzetta.gr/plus/article/802525/dioxame-ton-mat-nteimon-kai-i-tenerifi-egine-ellada-pics

Game of Thrones found similar problems.. and they also decided to go elsewhere.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course you would. It's these companies (multinationals and otherwise) that are putting money in your pockets by creating jobs where you live. Otherwise you would be like West Virginia or Detroit wh

Get your words and political hues in order. Communist and anarchist are contradictory terms. Just because you don't like either doesn't mean you should string the words together.

Speaking of rizikes allages, getting rid of nepotism in Greek politics would be an excellent beginning, but alas, in Greece it's seen as normal to try and get members of your family into positions of

F*** Jason Bourne and USA and Hollywood.

So the current government is now left again? Because they forbid some stupid hollywood movie? I thought after striking a deal with the Germans they were accused of not being left?

I thought the whole purpose of the new elections was to get rid of the lefties ;)

Make up your mind ;)

Axxx... the biggest moneymaking kapitalist in the world, our ally and friend Vladimir, is also being accused all the time on this forum of being a communist... so spare me your answers.

Left again? There has not been a right wing Government in Greece since the fall of the Junta. ND would be a centre left Government in the UK/ Switzerland/ France. Greece has one of the largest public sectors per head globally. ND and PASOK have made sure of it. You don't get votes in Greece by privatising and opening up closed professions.. you get voyes by creating public sector jobs and protecting the closed professions such as truckers and pharmacies. 

This production is generating millions for Tenerife. 

feat.jpg

Tenerife Becomes Athens in Latest Bourne Film Installment as Greece Turns Away Massive Hollywood Production  
BY GREGORY PAPPAS ON SEPTEMBER 17, 2015 CULTURE, ENTERTAINMENT, FILM

bourne1.jpg

While neighboring countries are looking to cash in on lucrative Hollywood film budgets and lure international productions, Greece continues to push them away.

The producers of the yet-unnamed fifth installment of the Bourne spy series starring Matt Damon decided to abandon Greece and instead transform Tenerife (Spain?s Canary Islands) into Athens.

bourne5.jpg

Film crews cover Spanish store signs in Tenerife and replace them with Greek storefronts
Complete with anti-austerity demonstrations, Greek yogurt billboards, fake Greek police busses and numerous other touch ups, sections of the Spanish city were transformed into central Athens. Even fake Greek graffiti was spray-painted on fake Greek phone booths.

rzsyy2M.jpg

Fake Greek anarchist graffiti on a fake Greek telephone booth
Unlike many other EU countries and Mediterranean nations, Greece does not extend tax breaks for locally-filmed productions.

Greece?s former culture minister Nikos Xydakis confirmed that the production had been turned away from filming in Greece because a tax-break structure for films doesn?t exist. He mad the comments on Skai TV and confirmed that what exists (tax breaks for film productions) in other countries, doesn?t exist in Greece.

bourne4.jpg

Even a fake Greek demonstration, complete with anti-austerity banners and over 1,000 extras that could have been Greeks hired to play the roles
Xydakis claimed that he had begun drafting legislation for film production tax breaks but was cut short when the government of Alexis Tsipras resigned. Previous governments have all made such claims, including the creation of a ?film commission? to lure international productions. But these claims by Greek bureaucrats have never materialized.

Matt Damon is reprising his role as the CIA operative, along with Julia Stiles. The city is doubling as Athens for the film, with Greek posters, signs and cars being placed in and around the filming area.

bourne2.jpg

Spanish-language street signs in the city were covered temporarily with Greek ones
Over a 1000 locals have been cast as extras in the movie, which is generating nearly ?250,000 a day to the city in direct and indirect cash benefits, including restaurants, hotels and various services required by the massive film crew.

Even a Greek yogurt billboard as a set back drop!
Filming is expected to last 6 weeks in the ?Spanish Athens? and will generate millions for the local economy.

The key here is the tax breaks.  Hollywood producers won't film anywhere where they don't get one.  Having said that, does Greece want jobs or not.  The Greek Parliamentarians are a bunch of dizzy idiots.

Edited by Bananas

ND would be a centre left Government in the UK/ Switzerland/ France.

I can't speak for Swiss or France, but I think I should clear it up for posters from outside the UK that ND are not "centre left" here. Not that they are anything to go by, but the media here usually refer to ND as "centre right".  ND are probably about as right wing as new Labour who were centre-right, not as right wing as Tories though, but its hard to be more right-wing than the Tories. As far as I can see ND are probably the most right-wing party in Greece at the moment.

Edited by Koro
  • Like it 1

I have deliberately steered clear from Greek politics for a few months....  I have just checked back in again over the last few days...seriously these guys have no idea.....They are all living in some 1970s University class theoretical debate....

No policies on how to create ONE JOB...

The 'respect' shown to KKE is comical.....I used to get berated on these forums over the years for bringing up left v right...

however 10 minutes listening to these clowns (all the politicians and journalists) it is evident they have not moved on from 1947 or 1974.....

The key here is the tax breaks.  Hollywood producers won't film anywhere where they don't get one.  Having said that, does Greece want jobs or not.  The Greek Parliamentarians are a bunch of dizzy idiots.

So let's give these big american hollywood companies a tax break while normal Greek companies have to pay double tax because of the mess that Nea Demokratia created the last decades and that Syriza gets the blame for.. sure....

We all want Greeks to pay taxes like other countries but when American movie company comes they dont have to pay because 'they dont have to pay in other countries'

ND being centre left is the biggest joke i've heard in my life.

• Like it 1

the article says they are leaving 250,000 euro a day to the local community.....

how much would does Greece need this sort of cash??

but we get stuck on the 'detail'......when was the last time a Communist created a job and paid tax?

Greece needs a Thatcher type figure.....I was very depressed listening to the politics this afternoon....they do not have a hope in hell with this mentality...all the energies are in the wrong area.

• Like it 1

Yeah the Greek children need someone like Margret Thatcher to snatch away their goats milk...

Anyway I like it how in Greece the extremist parties like KKE and Golden Dawn actually get representation in politics. Here in the UK all the parties are so similar, especially on issues like the the economy and foreign policy. And it is almost impossible for a radical party to win seats in parliament, even parties like UKIP or Greens (neither of who are radical) can't win a decent number of seats.

• Like it 1

I can't speak for Swiss or France, but I think I should clear it up for posters from outside the UK that ND are not "centre left" here. Not that they are anything to go by, but the media here usually refer to ND as "centre right".  ND are probably about as right wing as new Labour who were centre-right, not as right wing as Tories though, but its hard to be more right-wing than the Tories. As far as I can see ND are probably the most right-wing party in Greece at the moment.

ND by most European standards are centre left. Centre right parties don't win votes for the last 30 years in the UK, Switzerland or france by creating more public sector jobs. ND won millions of votes by promising more public sector jobs and delivering them - even though Greece didn't need them. As the recession and crisis kicked in - they made some half-hearted attempts at privatisation (Piraeus) and cleaning up ERT. Neither stuck. 

The reason ND are a centre left party despite Greeks saying they are right is because since 1974 Greece begins from a far left standpoint. On Wednesday I had to sit through 3 hours of Ert 1 coverage of a KKE event and conference. The fact these guys who got so few votes are getting so much exposure is the same reason ND are not a credible right wing party. The middle or centre in Greece is left. So for a party in Greece to approach what we call the centre in the UK or Switzerland, that would make them right wing in Greece. Countless Greek politicians switch between ND Syrzia and PASOK - because when it comes down to it, they have no ideology. In the UK someone switching from Tories to UKIP is headline news.

Yeah the Greek children need someone like Margret Thatcher to snatch away their goats milk...

Anyway I like it how in Greece the extremist parties like KKE and Golden Dawn actually get representation in politics. Here in the UK all the parties are so similar, especially on issues like the the economy and foreign policy. And it is almost impossible for a radical party to win seats in parliament, even parties like UKIP or Greens (neither of who are radical) can't win a decent number of seats.

Again not true. UKIP is a big party in the UK. Their foreign policy is to leave the Middle East alone. Corbyn also now has the same policy. So no, they are not the same. UKIP got 10% of the general election vote and won the European elections. If the voting system mirrored most the EU in the UK, UKIP would have got many seats with those 4 million votes. They are growing every day. The reason UKIP didn't win more seats is many voted Tory to keep out Red Ed.

We call that a strawman argument in the UK. Clearly you are a leftist. How do you feel about Corbyn. Better or worse than Red Ed? 

Also may I ask about your family in the civil war? Did they take part on either side? Mine were Royalists from Arcadia.

The UK is the most unfair country i've ever heard regarding voting. You dont win by the general votes, but only if you win in each seperate city. How unfair is that. Look at this Farage guy...

Got millions of votes, only got 2 seats or something cause he didnt came out on top in any city.

People saying this UK is more advanced then Greece? I would say not even in the middle ages they had such an unfair voting system...

More advanced then Greece... sure... and Putin is a communist... I hear better jokes on this forum every day.

Single-member districts and winner-takes-all system favors big parties. If you have proportional representation (%) then smaller parties appear in parliament.

Each country has its own political cultures that mirror society at large. Same for traditions.

In order to understand where Greece is today you have to go back to the revolution days and follow politics since. Culturally Greece (and some parts of Eastern Europe) have not been truly westernized, in political and cultural terms.  With the exception of the very extreme parties, are the rest "anti-system"? Do they differ in applied policy (not what they say) when it comes to the role of the state? Or, the role of the Church? The differences seem to me to be minor, like teams in the same league that differ in quality of players and coaches, etc. but all play by same rules.

• Like it 1

More advanced then Greece... sure... and Putin is a communist... I hear better jokes on this forum every day.

Putin is considered right wing except by badly educated individuals like Tsipras and Dilma who can't think past the fact he was born in the former USSR.

So let's give these big american hollywood companies a tax break while normal Greek companies have to pay double tax because of the mess that Nea Demokratia created the last decades and that Syriza gets the blame for.. sure....

We all want Greeks to pay taxes like other countries but when American movie company comes they dont have to pay because 'they dont have to pay in other countries'

ND being centre left is the biggest joke i've heard in my life.

You're missing my point, which I probably should have clarified better. My point being that if even one, yes one, job was created by giving them a tax break, then it's worth it. Sometimes, you just have to be practical. Ethically, I agree with you, they shouldn't get a tax break. By that reasoning any company that generates jobs shouldn't be taxed. But, sometimes we should put ethics and ideals aside. The equation here was simple and the Greek Parliament should have fast tracked laws to allow the production to proceed.

What I truly don't get is all this left right bull s%$#!. It's all crap. It's meaningless. All people want is jobs. I would vote ND if I thought they could provide more jobs. I would vote PASOK if I thought they could provide more jobs. I'd vote for any stooge party that I felt could provide more jobs. I can't understand the reasoning of someone that "wants" a left leaning or right leaning party. Seriously, in this day and age.

Instead of trying to improve the country, these parties bicker endlessly about philosophical issues. It's shameful. And now that we are shackled by Germany, I see no light at the end of the tunnel. But when faced with the simple decision of granting a tax break, just grant it.

Putin is considered right wing except by badly educated individuals like Tsipras and Dilma who can't think past the fact he was born in the former USSR.

Putin is THE Grand Oligarch. Nothing more, nothing less.

You'd think that if a party came out and said their number one priority was job creation, that they'd smash the election. You'd think ...

But I've always felt (could be wrong, just my perception) that the majority of the Parliamentarians are "entitled". A class above, so to speak ...

What Greece needs is some sort of party that just takes the piss like that one in Iceland just after they had their financial problems. It was only at the council/district level though. I think it was called the "Best" party, because as their leader said, "we are the best". Their main policy was to bring a polar bear to the zoo. Something like that, I'd need to check. The point being, they won. That would send a nice message to the elites and the entitled of what the people think of them.

What I truly don't get is all this left right bull s%$#!. It's all crap. It's meaningless. All people want is jobs.

110% I agree with you. This is how I look at it also.

The only thing people on this forum do is accusing Tsipras of being a left politician, Putin being a communist.

People are totally brainwashed because of their education and have no clue what is really going on.