Phantis Forums

Greek Cup 2015-2016

Dutch Eagle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Amorgo (cool avatar btw),

Did you have your coffee?

I just had a pita gyro. We have more and more Greek take-aways, restaurants en bougatsidika here in Rotterdam.

The last groupgame could give some fratricide. Now that's impossible.

And it is against all logics of odds that all SL sides play on MD 1 against each other. So the matches are scheduled.

Therefore the format sucks.

• 1 month later...

Sharing Blackhawk's post with matchups

Kalloni it is.

The Round of 16 matchups:

Ergotelis - Panionios

Veroia - Iraklis

Chania - Olympiakos

Larisa - Asteras Tripolis

PAS Giannina - Panathinaikos

Levadeiakos - AEK

Kalloni - PAOK

First leg on January 5-7, 2016 Second leg January 12-14, 2016

Apparently there were some questionable events taking place during the draw in the EPO offices.

Of the big teams, I'd say Panathinaikos has the trickiest draw.

• 3 weeks later...

Atromitos is the first team to qualify to the quarterfinal stage of the competition eliminating Platanias. The seven remaining teams will be know on Thursday, but following the results in the first leg we have a clear idea which teams they might be:

Atromitos - Platanias                2:1, 0:0

AEP Iraklis - Veroia                   ----, 1:0

Asteras Tripoli - AE Larisa         ----, 3:0 

AEK - Levadeiakos                    ----, 1:0

Olympiakos - Chania                 ----, 4:1

Panionios - Ergotelis                  ----, 1:0

PAOK - AEL Kalloni                   ----, 1:2

Panathinaikos - PAS Giannina   ----, 2:1

AEP Iraklis - Veroia                  1:0, 1:0

Asteras Tripoli - AE Larisa       3:0, 3:0 

AEK - Levadeiakos                    2:0, 1:0

Olympiakos - Chania                6:0, 4:1

Panionios - Ergotelis                   ----, 1:0

PAOK - AEL Kalloni                    ----, 1:2

Panathinaikos - PAS Giannina    ----, 2:1

AEP Iraklis - Veroia                  1:0, 1:0

Asteras Tripoli - AE Larisa       3:0, 3:0 

AEK - Levadeiakos                    2:0, 1:0

Olympiakos - Chania                6:0, 4:1

Panionios - Ergotelis                  1:0, 1:0

PAOK - AEL Kalloni                    3:0, 1:2

Panathinaikos - PAS Giannina  0:1, 2:1

I think PAOK had a good transfer window though, they brought in Charisis (my favourite), Cirimot (who's an excellent young prospect who can play first team), promoted Mystakidis who has been great and very versatile, and Jairo who is finally looking great.

Berbatov has not been super effective, but I think that was for the fans (big name player). Sabo... Hasn't been great from what I've seen. Had a good game in the kypello when he got a hat trick against Xania but I haven't seen much else.

PAOK also got rid of dead weight like Salpi (still love the guy, no disrespect but he had no place at PAOK anymore)

I feel like PAOK could use a quality CB and a quality ST

Panathinaikos hopefully cleaned s%$#! out this Winter when bringing in Vlachodimos (who showed crazy skill in training videos today and yesterday), Mamuote, Boumale, and Mesto. Giving away Risvanis is really starting to hurt thought, considering we kept Triantafillopoulos over him :( Mind blowing decision by management...

Edited by Ethnikos

• 1 month later...

I think PAOK had a good transfer window though, they brought in Charisis (my favourite), Cirimot (who's an excellent young prospect who can play first team), promoted Mystakidis who has been great and very versatile, and Jairo who is finally looking great.

Berbatov has not been super effective, but I think that was for the fans (big name player). Sabo... Hasn't been great from what I've seen. Had a good game in the kypello when he got a hat trick against Xania but I haven't seen much else.

PAOK also got rid of dead weight like Salpi (still love the guy, no disrespect but he had no place at PAOK anymore)

I feel like PAOK could use a quality CB and a quality ST

I think only Olsen, Sabo, and Berbatov were garbage transfers. The others all have potential. Charisis looks especially good, if he can just stay healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard that there won't be a winner of the Greek Cup this year.

The government has decided.

The cup was the only hope for Atromitos to play EL.

If there will be any Greek competitors next year. Normally UEFA and FIFA do not allow interference of governments. Suspension of Greece and Greek clubs must be the obvious punishment.

Kontonis did  not go far enough. He needs to do a Thatcher and ban Greek teams from Europe for some time. Then you will see the miracle of all teams coming together and fixing the problems in Greek soccer.

• Like it 1

Kontonis did  not go far enough. He needs to do a Thatcher and ban Greek teams from Europe for some time. Then you will see the miracle of all teams coming together and fixing the problems in Greek soccer.

would not help Greece....

just look at the politics and economy...people do what suits....and they get by....

Yes Greece e needs a Thatcher to clean up Unions, Rd tape, education, law and order///

no point trying to clean up football if you don't clean up law and order....who will police things....?

Just got interesting. Gkirtzikis just reported Kontonis to UEFA for illegally shutting down the cup. Now Kontonis' fetish for zero legislation and closed games as a remedy comes into the spot light. I truly dislike Gkirtzikis - but well done for reporting Kontonis early and getting the ball rolling with UEFA. Gkirtzikis has specifically asked for 'help' fro UEFA.

Illegally is an interesting choice of words. What law is the government breaking? Sounds like something Sepp would say ;)

I have no faith that UEFA will help clean anything up. More likely that they'd try to enforce the status quo. To me, UEFA is even less likely to make a positive change than the government you love so very much.

The world governing body of football is a self-appointed entity that only has as much power as the fans of the game allow it to have. Unfortunately, the peoples of the world have about as much balls as Greek fans of the game - in other words, none at all.

With that said, I offer my services to help clean up at least the hooliganism. We've all been over this many times - metal detectors, assigned seating, security that does its job, stadium cameras, actual arrests, serious sentences. I went to watch a basketball game here in Boston a little while ago, and there's absolutely no comparison with how it's done in Greece. Corruption CAN be cleaned up if there's a political will to do so - believe it or not, worse crimes have been handled in other countries. I'm lookin' at you, Capone.

Also - think MLS is going to see some repercussions from Uncle Sam's tear-down of FIFA last year? FIFA and UEFA need to tread carefully; they're not the ones who have access to prisons.

• 1 month later...