Phantis Forums

Greek Super League Game Topic

Guest PastMember

The empty stands at kairaskaki to see the team clinch the title speaks volumes and shows where the league sits in the pecking order, the season will be remembered for 2 home defeats, the 1st against Arsenal where we could have even advanced with a narrow loss, and the debacle against anderlecht, the clubs entire season rested on those 2 matches and we blew it, not even doing the double with the cup can salvage it.

Olympiakos winning the league title is the equivalent of a big English club winning the carling cup these days.

Firstly, congratulation on winning the title.

As to the stands being empty, I suppose it gets boring for all involved when there is a proper lack of competition.  I'm afraid that until (if ever) some of the other teams get their act together, I don't see the situation changing.  This is also in my opinion the biggest reason for Olympiakos struggling in Europe post Christmas.  When nearly every game is like a training session, your players just won't be match fit ... enough.  In the same way that Greek football has slowly but incrementally fallen behind, the opposite needs to occur, but it will take time.

I posted this in the other thread about the matches being like training sessions and why the best results the club gets are in the early stages of the champions league as the team is in the process of establishing a big points lead in the league, once that lead is established to the point where it's all but mathematically over ( December) that's when the team also starts becoming useless in Europe. Moving forward this will be a serious issue for the club, when the inevitable occurs next year perhaps for certain league games they would be better off just playing the fringe players who will at least be hungry, a formula needs to be established to keep the entire playing roster on their toes.

I'm feeling optimistic that we might begin to see some modest improvement starting as early as next year. Aek and Paok should be stronger, maybe Asteras and Atromito too, Pao I think can only improve I don't think there is anywhere to go but up for them.

So now you say free transfers yet while AEKs been doing that all season you laugh and bag our owner and call him a tightass?

As for investment, no one will invest in a league where the champions are known before a ball is kicked, CL is also settled due to the Champions been known already.

So let me ask you would you invest your money/millions in a corrupt league where the Champions are already known before August?

Your owner is a tightass. If I had money football clubs are not what I would consider for investing. However if I was looking for an expensive hobby or plaything then yes, I would buy Kalamata and try to bring them to the superliga.

• Like it 1

Guys even if Oly had the budgets our clubs do and AEK for example had theirs, they would still win the league, they get pushed over the line by many.... Look no further than 2008 with AEK and 2011 with PAO, our teams were way better than their teams and yet both our teams didn't win the league.....

Spending money is not the only thing that will make a team good. It's spending the money wisely on good staff, players and scouts, coaches etc. look at savvidis, spends like no tommorow but Paok looks worse and worse every year.

Most of the money Savvidis spent has been to acquire the shares of the club ~20 million (not sure on the exact amount) followed by paying off the debt of ~11 million to the government.  Having said that, the paying off of the debt was a monumental thing.  I was truly impressed and amazed.  Savvidis has also spent a few million I believe renovating Toumba but again not sure on the exact amount.  None of these things change in any way the quality of the team on the park

As to the funds spent on the team they fall into two categories, transfer fees and player wages.  The player wages budget has definitely increased (and the players are paid on time) and this can only help in building a stronger squad and attracting decent players into the future.  Fairly large sums have been spent on "super" signings like Stoch, Natkho and Berbatov but these players were only there for a half season or one season.  Not exactly the wisest use of funds considering their high wages.  The only time I would consider such signings a wise investment is when you have a side that is almost at the point of winning the title, and frankly, that's never been the case except to delusional fans.

As for transfer fees, not a great deal has been spent.  Keep in mind though that pre Savvidis the vast majority of our transfers were free agents because the club just didn't have money to pay a transfer fee.  Also, the club would promise certain wages but fairly often couldn't pay and the club/player would split acrimoniously.  This was par for the course for PAOK for years.  We'd also get fire sales every few years ... that was always a fun time.  PAO didn't have a problem picking up Lazaro and Salpi in this manner.

As far as transfer fees go we have (according to wikipedia which could be wrong) :-

For season 2013/2014

- Lucas 700K, but sold for 1.5M with 25% rights.

- Maartens 700K

- Skondras 300K

Not exactly millions.  You can't and shouldn't expect to challenge Olympiakos just because you spent a little under ~2M.

For season 2014/2015

- Golasa 450K

- Mak 400K

Same again as 2013/2014.

For season 2015/2016

- Leovac 1.3M

- Cimirot 1.3M

- Vellidis 750K

- Sabo 700K

- Olsen 650K, yes we can all stop laughing now.

- Chatzisaias 550K

- Charisis 450K

- Jairo 400K

- Korovesis 400K

- Antonis 300K

- Malezas 100K

All right, so spent a bit more this season but you need to offset the sale of Noboa and Lucas which was 3M.  So overall the club spent ~4M on transfers.  Again, spending 4M to try and challenge Olympiakos is not going to really cut it.

As to the team getting worse each year, that's subjective.  I think PAOK has been ... decent this season.  Other than Olympiakos and in the EL we haven't been played off the park.  The team is youthful and nearly all of the old players are gone from the club.  Not including Berbatov, Tziolis and Malezas the oldest out field player is Tzavellas at 28.  So in my mind this year is (or rather should have been before the fans went crazy yet again) a clean out year and let's see which youngsters have potential.  So we have ... Charisis, Cimirot, Mystakidis and Pelkas.  Not bad I say.  Also Rodrigues has done well.  Others not so much but as we all very well know, not all transfers work out.

Now if the club has any brains next season they will spend again and strengthen.  The team being so youthful maybe a little experience and "toughness" won't go astray.  Their goal should not be to win the title, it should simply be to be better than the previous season.  Who knows, maybe next season we'll break our record of spending 4 million in transfers ...

Edited by Bananas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Tzatziki changed the title to Greek Super League Game Topic
  • Tzatziki pinned this topic
  • Tzatziki unpinned this topic