Phantis Forums

PAOK Fans Gyradiko

Blackhawk

Definitely depends on your circumstances and location.  If you're single with no kids, you can live like a rock star on $60K a year.  If you're married with kids, you need a combined family income of at least $120K to be comfortable, and even then you can't really live in or near Boston.  My health insurance and tuition for 3 kids is about $40K/year.  Where I live, a decent single family home with 3 or 4 bedrooms costs about $750K.  If you move 20 minutes North, you can get a mansion for$600K.....so I think the main things to consider are: Location of residence, Location of work, level of debt, Marital status, kids and level of education.  If you have a high school diploma, and no trade school or college, then you really can't be mad if you're making over $50K/year.   If you have a Masters degree and are carrying like $180K in debt and you make less than $100K year, you're in rough shape.

Wow, that was a thorough analysis guys, thanks!

In classical music things are quite bad, unless you are an amazing performer. If you are just OK things are not good unless you get lucky. So, as advice, talk you children out of majoring in music if that's what they wanted. Hahaha.

Now that you mentioned some numbers, I was thinking how much money Greeks had in the 90s and 00s. My father was earning between 3,000-4,000 euros per month. And he wasn't someone educated or special with a high-paid job. A typical middle-class couple would easily earn 6,000 euros per month. Back in the day, that would be almost $8,000 per month. Which makes it an annual of $96,000. When adding the considerably-low cost of living, that can blow off your mind. At that time you could rent a very nice place in Thessaloniki for $600 per month. Today in a normal US city (Boston, Los Angeles, Miami) you will need around $2,500 for a similar place. Damn, Greeks had good money for a while!!!

As an aside, about five years ago I visited a cousin who was living in Larissa (he was attending university), and he insisted I stay at his apartment. It was roughly the size of an office cubical, but only cost 200 euros a month. I told him that is what I was paying for a parking space at the time. Different worlds, man.

I just got back from Serbia where a friend of mine will be working until next September. He is paying €1,500 a month for a three bedroom apartment in a nice area of Belgrade. It also has a fairly spacious balcony as well as undergound parking. He doesn't even need the third bedroom so he converted it into a walk-in wardrobe. I will be moving to London in a couple of weeks and will be paying £1,700 for a 1 bedroom flat without balcony.

I think the moral of the story is to leave behind the world of materialism and capitalism, find a remote place in the Greek countryside or on one of the islands and become self-sufficient.

• Like it 1

Ρε παιδιά Amber Alert!!! Που έχουν χαθεί τα σκουλήκια;;; Αυτοκτονούνε μαζικά;

Ukworm, emperor, που είστε ρε συμπολίτες; Γιατί κρυφτήκατε; Ελάτε να μας πείτε για την προεδράρα σας τον Θόδωρα τον Καρύπα. Ελάτε να μας πείτε για τα Η.Μ.Ν.Σ.Γ. Ελάτε να μας πείτε για τον Λάσκαρη, την άλλη προεδράρα σας. Ελάτε να μας πείτε κοιτάξτε το ταβάνι και τα ρέστα.

Ο Σαββίδης είναι χαλίφης. Είναι κακός. Πολεμάει τον μεγάλο "Ο Α.Ρ.Η.Σ."!!!

Τι έγινε στο μπασκετάκι; Ήττα και από την Κύμη με -18;;; Στη ζώνη του υποβιβασμού ο "Ο Α.Ρ.Η.Σ.";;; Μα πώς γίνεται αυτό; Μα αφού ο Γκάλης ο καλύτερος μπασκετμπολίστας. Αυτοκράτορας. Nick Galis Hall ονομάστηκε 20 χρόνια αφού τον διώξατε τον Νικ. Ο Λάσκαρης έβαλε 1 δις και χτίζει το μεγαλύτερο μπασκετικό οικοδόμημα στην Ευρώπη ρε παιδιά. Μπα, ο Σαββίδης θα φταίει. Ο ΠΑΟΚ είναι κακός. Βρώμικη ομάδα.

ΠΟΥ ΕΙΣΤΕ ΡΕ ΠΑΙΔΙΑ;;; ΜΟΥ ΛΕΙΨΑΤΕ ΡΕ ΓΑΜΩΤΟ!!!

• Like it 1
  • Haha 1