Phantis Forums

Greece-Finland(4 September 2015, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

Didn't see that one coming.

Wacky starting lineup. Despite the injuries I'd started Manolas still as CB kpaps as cdm

Playing feftfa would've been good too.

It's hard to pinpoint this campaigns failure on a major thing - it's many little things that accumulate to make our squad rubbish.

2 things that come to mind is we need to enhance team chemistry.

2nd we need to try to play ballsy attacking football. MAX 1 DM the rest forwards.

We might as well start doing this now that we're out as an experiment.

• Like it 1

Reaper, I think you are being harsh on both Kareli and Christodoulopoulo. The former having a tragic performance today but he is without a doubt one of the better offensive Greeks today. The latter hasn't been ground breaking but in most of his appearances he has added quality and a small creative spark the team has lacked. 

What makes me angry about this team is that when players like Mitroglou were on fire and carrying the squad along with Nini (Isreal match being the last big example of this) the team didn't use them. Now that he's in essence a former soccer player they've let him keep the starting jersey. Its as if this team waits for a player's fire to go out only to force feed them to us. 

I think Mitroglou as well as an overall lack of offensive options have been the main issue on this team and its been long overdue for Mitroglou's ass to get some splinters. At times he's good with the ball at his feet, he can still hold the ball, but the guy doesn't have the hunger and tenacity he once did. Arividi was hungry today but when you combine the fouls he was getting, the confusion in attack, and the fact that left winger is not his position, the guy was a non factor. For me its simple, throw fetfa on the left, bench Mitroglou, let Aravidi get a shot at CM. In addition take out Tzioli (permanently), put in Kone to the right, pull back Samari, and we would of seen a different match out there today. 

4-1-3-2 and you would of been able to properly attack them, not half ass an effort and cause massive ###### confusion. We were playing BOTH WINGS with players who weren't playing their natural positions. No wonder we got zero out of our wings and anything that came to the center of the final third turned into one big cluster F***. 

----------------Aravidis---------------------------

-------------------------Karelis-------------------

Fetfa------------Fortounis----------------Kone

----------------Samaris-----------------------------------

Cholebas-----------------------Anyone but Vyntra

-------Pap-----------------Pap-------------------

----------------Karnezi-----------------------

^^this makes much more sense to me. 

Who to take out and who to sub in? One worse than the other. Worst of all, this lot have imprinted a losing mentality and they are content with that.

Going to need someone that can shake things up and alter the mindset because i think that is where we have to start.

All bias aside i am not liking the Karellis bashing, he is a good forward that actually scored against Finland in his last outing. How is it fair to write him off after a bad game today but have Mitroglou constantly in the starting 11? It seems that Mitroglou can fail time and time again and most people dont bat and eye but when Karellis has an off game it is the work of EPO that he is gonna play again? Not that it has to do with him actually being a decent forward and scoring goals for his club side or anything..... Fortounis was crap in the second half should I request that he never play again?

I mean, I didn't say I want to never see him again. He was a black hole in our offense today. Ruining good possession by taking stupid shots. Shot selection is the key to being a good striker. 

We need a manager that can work with the players he has.  It's not like club football where you can buy the players you need.  Trying to force them team to play the gritty style of the last 10 years won't work with the players we have.  It's time to think outside the box.

What's more astonishing about this campaign is that when you feel like it's hit bottom they just keep going.  

Losing is one thing, but to not score, again, and at home popo.  My god.  

This team needs to find quality attacking players and a goalscorer fast and sort itself out in a big way before WC qualifying or this could be only the beginning of a very long period absent from tournament football.  

• Like it 1

Its painfully obvious these guys will not get a win this campaign.    I said it before we are done for a long long time.

Our midfielders warm the  benches for Italian minnow clubs and our messiah who was supposed to be the next Messi is playing in Saudi Arabia.    Yeah i understand we cant score but how they let these guys get a goal on home soil is inexplicable.

I used to get some joy at bashing the Otto/Katsourani/Karagouni/Santos haters but at this point its not even fun anymore.

This is beyond beyond embarrasing

Edited by Polikastano
  • Like it 1

Who saw this coming 12 months ago as we were about to begin this campaign? Feels like a bad dream that I need to be awoken from, 2 points out of this group doesn't feel real, from being a kick away from the last 8 in last years World Cup to this, incredible fall from grace.

Vyntra was shocking today his crosses were bad and we missed Torosidis badly in my opinion the other selections were not that bad i also believe Karnezis was at fault for the goal aswell as Vyntra. Our attack is very fustrating there is no end product. I really cant believe what has been happening to our Ethniki. Best players today were Holebas and Fortounis. I dont understand what is so hard to score seriously this cant be happening nothing else in my opinion can be done to fix this MItroglou can only do so much, Sokratis was doing his job, Aravidis should have not started really, Samaris cant really say its just fustrating that we were a team in the Round of 16 at the World Cup to a team that cant win a match against teams that werent even in the World Cup. I hear people say here that it is the players fault mostly and i agree, we cant be this bad was. Ever since Karagounis retired we have looked lost and confused when we attack with the ball was Karagounis that much of a superstar. I believe Samaris, Kone, Tachtsidis and Fortounis are better than him in terms of ability and age. Now to come and think of it I want Karagounis back and playing or i wish he was 5 years younger so he could be still playing this is so frustrating.

Edited by Dean97

Hate to say it but we were all wrong about Santos, he had us over achieving no doubt now. Would kill to have him back as well as a fit katsou and kara. These guys played with passion. I mean FFS Tziolis? The guy has been proven to not be good enough many a time. We need to bite the bullet and build for the future.

Tsanas was a EPO approved coach. I said from day one he will do the EPO's bidding/

The NT is just another Panathinaikos structurally. Lost.

Really? Funny, I saw plenty of Oly guys this campaign, very few PAO guys... And last I saw, EPO does Oly's bidding (showcase Oly players so proedrara can make $$$ of sales). Fancy that! Edited by Giourkas
  • Like it 1

Nothing against sokratis, but I'm with the commentator on this one. You can see that he's frustrated, just like we all are and have been since the start of this campaign. 

We didn't have a single CLEAR chance in this match.

The team played better today, but unfortunately the results speak for themselves. No excuses...............

• Like it 1

Unless EPO is cleaned up from the top to the bottom and drastic changes are made in the structure of the national teams, we will unfortunately have to accept the fact that we will have a pre-Euro 2004 mediocre team.

And once in for all make the national team the team for all Greeks. Not a team run by and for managers and agents.

that mappa commentator asked for it vlakies elege

I thought the commentator was bang on. Bravo tou, showed balls.

Sokratis was talking s%$#!. I like him, but the atmosphere has long been poisoned now and sokratis himself is part of the 'klika'.

• Like it 1

Why do you think Santos left when he did? Once he saw that Kara and co. were finished, he knew it was time to call it quits. He took a look at the mykonos generation coming through and ran the opposite direction.

Kats was still available. So was Tziolis and Maniatis. I was very disappointed when Santos left.