Phantis Forums

Predictions for the 2015 SL

Lamiara ole

The problem we have on our team is we have no BALLERS (except Berg)

They are extremely fit athletes that beat teams by grinding them out.... high pressure.. nonstop running and tiring out opponents.. There's a reason why our team always seems to come to life at the 2nd half of the season

This is fine for the super league but doesn't really cut it for Europe (should have worked agianst Qabala but it wasn't written in the stars)

Our team does not have a great football IQ... we have no player to thread that pass and unlock defenses... Ninis is waaayy too unreliable and is either injured or off his game... when he does have moments of brillinace.. they are too few and far in between

We don't have complete players... the moment we start actually upgrading our midfield is the moment that we will start performing in Europe

Players like Lagos, Ajagun, Koutroubis, Pranjic (in the latter stages of his career) are extremely limited and will need to be upgraded in order for us to move forward

I agree with this. The lack of offensive talent is an issue with this team. They have holding midfielders and defensive minded players galore but lack offensive minded players. They should really consider a 10ari type player in the January transfer period because we all know we can't really on Ninis. Unless Lod plays well but he's out for the month and hasn't really played much or shown his ability yet.

Lod is not a playmaker... he exceled as a winger and would venture fwd occasionally as an offensive threat and score a few goals

He did well in the Finnish league but lets face it that league is not very competitive

We can bash the greek league we all want...   but its a very defensive league and is difficult to score in.... Lod may have difficulty adjusting to tight defenses and it's going to be a big test to see if he adjusts well 

I'm glad we picked him up.... he's a low risk- high reward kind of player.. but we CANNOT depend on him

There's no point in bringing Equi or Gilberto in the scouting team if no one is going to listen to them....

Anastasiou has built this team mainly out of European based players (exceptions are Ajagun and Essien)...  The scandanavians and northern European/Balkan players he brought in are EXTREMELY easy to work with 

In order to continue team chemistry, I believe he has opted to leave out South Americans who can be moody, emotional and disrupt team chemistry

Not only that, but South Americans DO NOT fit into Anastasiou's style... refer to my previous post about how the team is built and what the mentality is...  South Americans are not about grit, determination and wilting their opponents...

Its more about flare and wit....  A south American player will not fit well in this side..

I mean come on... the closest we have is "Ninis" and even he had to succumb to Anastasiou's tactics...  Ninis is GASSED by 60 minutes b/c he is forced to run up and down the pitch to accomodate Anastasiou's system

^^So what you're are saying is that anastasiou can't manage them?

Because both leto and equi were both hot heads and yet via good management, any emotion was channeled in a positive result.

Also when you talk about flair and wit, i think you are referring to the players from the past. You find that even the southamerican these days are swaying away from their traditional style and producing guys that are all about grit and determination. Why they do they do this? To sell to their european clients. Mind you their national sides suffer as a result.

This by no means should discourage any potential recruitment from this region. There must be still some old coaches over there preaching the importance of football fundamentals.

Correct.... they wouldn't fit in..

Thats why leto didn't come... he was vetoed by gianni

Under ferrirra they would flourish

I don't buy your reasoning. Gianni may have vetoed him but probably because of his bum knee. Not because he wouldn't fit his system. Leto in 2010-2012 ran up and down the field..

^^So what you're are saying is that anastasiou can't manage them?

Because both leto and equi were both hot heads and yet via good management, any emotion was channeled in a positive result.

Also when you talk about flair and wit, i think you are referring to the players from the past. You find that even the southamerican these days are swaying away from their traditional style and producing guys that are all about grit and determination. Why they do they do this? To sell to their european clients. Mind you their national sides suffer as a result.

This by no means should discourage any potential recruitment from this region. There must be still some old coaches over there preaching the importance of football fundamentals.

Not necessarily saying hey can't manage a team with emotional/hot headed players... but if he can avoid it then why not...

Not only that, but his system is based on a team based approach... not an individual or central player......

Everyone runs for everyone else type of mentality....  Players who can't sacrifice for themselves are not meant for this system.... 

Players like Leto or Equi are not players that track back and forth consistently.. and require much more posession in order to be effective... they would be phenomenal players for certain system.. just not this one

As for the south americans who have become "workhorses" those players are few and far in between... they definatley aren't the norm.. and those particular players that you may be mentioning.. are waaaayyy out of our reach b/c by the time they get to that level they are already at massive clubs

Vokolos went down to Brazil for a week and didn't find anything that would suit the team and he left empty handed

We have players who have:

no flair

no fantasia

no determination

no innovation

no instinct

no ambition

no motivation

no skills

no willingness!

Should I go on?

We need players whop possess all the above!

We can easily find them in South America.

Rocha has the eye for those players.

Now! If Dutch knocklehead yiannis cannot fit them in there?he should part ways!

We cannot afford to have one sided players with only one skill?running! Basically like chicken with their heads cut off most of the times! Mindless!

The Dutch model got a HUGE SLAP today in Turkey by the neighbours! They simply F@ck them BAAAAAAAD!

Let Rocha do his work! He has accomplished much more that yiannakis has all those years with the team!

Edited by Lamiara ole

@freezer

Question is whether anastasiou has adopted such a strategy because this is what he truly believes in or has resulted to this approach because he doesn't have players of this quality.

The other thing worth noting, is that gianni was the type of player that lacked technique. Now i'm not saying that he doesn't appreciate natural ability when he sees it, but many former players that go on to manage adopt a style that resembled them as players. We have seen this with guardiola who was a passing CM and simeoni who played with mental toughness and contributed to multiple phases of the game.

Regardless of any system, i truly believe you need balance. You need guys like zeca with preferably a little more technique on the ball, just as much as you need difference makers like equi and leto.

Say we had chori on this side, you wouldn't ask him to waste energy chasing the ball but rather conserve his energy to go to work with the ball.

Not everyone has to run. It's this idea which has killed the game today and victimized the more creative guys, the same guys which bail you out against resilient opposition.

I don't see why a side can't defend with say seven players back, after all keeping a few players up front, in turn makes the opposition think twice about committing more players forward.

As for vokolo going to brazil, i can't remember us ever having great players from brazil. Our love affair has always been with Argentina.

Edited by val

@freezer

Question is whether anastasiou has adopted such a strategy because this is what he truly believes in or has resulted to this approach because he doesn't have players of this quality.

The other thing worth noting, is that gianni was the type of player that lacked technique. Now i'm not saying that he doesn't appreciate natural ability when he sees it, but many former players that go on to manage adopt a style that resembled them as players. We have seen this with guardiola who was a passing CM and simeoni who played with mental toughness and contributed to multiple phases of the game.

Regardless of any system, i truly believe you need balance. You need guys like zeca with preferably a little more technique on the ball, just as much as you need difference makers like equi and leto.

Say we had chori on this side, you wouldn't ask him to waste energy chasing the ball but rather conserve his energy to go to work with the ball.

Not everyone has to run. It's this idea which has killed the game today and victimized the more creative guys, the same guys which bail you out against resilient opposition.

I don't see why a side can't defend with say seven players back, after all keeping a few players up front, in turn makes the opposition think twice about committing more players forward.

As for vokolo going to brazil, i can't remember us ever having great players from brazil. Our love affair has always been with Argentina.

I truly think Anastasiou believes in the "TOTAL FOOTBALL" mentality which is based off an entire team moving up and down the pitch as one... this system requires EXTREMELY fit athletes that can run all day/night....

Now ideally, in this system, you would have very well skilled/technical players as well that could equally contribute to the attack and defense... however in circumstances where technical ability is lacking, you can make up for it with aggression and possession

That's what Anastasiou has done... only 10-15 teams in the world can player "TOTAL FOOTBALL" as it was originally developed...  what Anastasiou has done is tweeked it to his own liking and to accomodate our squad...  

Basically, what we see, is what we get from the team

Regardless, I truly do think this team will put up a massive fight for the title this year... even more so now that Qabala has knocked us out

You can't eiminate Qabala and you have aspirations of winning the title?

Who are we kidding?

This team has limited ability to accomplish such thing!

We no longer have the stars of the past who won the last title!

Gone are the likes of

Cisse

Katsouranis

Leto

Gilbero Silva

Karagounis!

Now you rely on some trianatafillopoulo,bourbo or marinaki to deliver you a title!

Are you guys nuts?

We are a decade away of winning a title!

STOP DAYDREAMING AND COME DOWN TO EARTH!

• Like it 2

^Tell that to the boys in here who think "total Football" is the answer and praise anastasiou for it!

Total Football was played by Ajax during Cruff's days back in the '70s!

In case you haven't noticed...things have changed during the last 4 decades in the football world!

If anastasiou is a product of total dutch footall, he can go back to holland and apply that as long as he wants it!

HE HAS FAILED MISERABLY AT THE PANATHINAIKOS HELM!

Asteras I am convinced that Rocha would have done much better that anastasiou!

He would have never lost to Qabala! That's for sure!

• Like it 1

That team that Rocha coached in the mid 90s had such stability and cohesiveness with mostly Greek players loaded with pride and passion and accompanied by only a few real quality game changing foreigners on it.

The landscape of a Greek football has changed so much in The last 5 to 6 years that now every club including Olympiakos changes squads on the fly like a revolving door every Summer . Now we have foreign useless nobodies or ex has beens who join all the top teams that are out of contract and come to the SL already knowing that their tenure there will be short lived regardless of performances.

No coach could do much under those type of circumstances. Anastasiou has lived a charmed life being kept as PAO coach for this long. That's unprecedented territory on Greece. OLY changed their coaches every six months it appears.

Rocha with this same team right now ? Good question. I'd say yes just for the fact that these players now might need to hear a different voice and perspective on how to to do things in games. Sound fresh ideas are for sure necessary on this team today.

• Like it 2

with rocha in charge for the time anastsiou has had,our roster would of looked a lot different.,

instead of andoniou if rocha was the technical director we wouldn't of wasted all that money on mellisiis and souza etc etc etc.

they trust every tom dick and harry to be the TD but never rocha.

the team rocha coached had a Argentinian called Borelli.

but it is against some unwritten law at pao that we will not buy Argentinians and we will not listen to rocha.

Edited by Asteras
  • Like it 1