Phantis Forums

Greece country coefficient

Next stage of what? Olympiakos and PAOK will continue in Europa League even if they lose.

I think Olympiakos and Panathinaikos will advance. PAOK has a chance as well. I don't see AEK and Giannina advancing. 

• Like it 1

People are that pessimistic about PAO's chances vs AIK?

Well I guess based on history, they should be. But if they really want to make a name for themselves, this is the kind of team they should be beating handily.

Its been made very tough for Greek teams to qualify with 2 rounds of qualifying. Atm I think Oly will be there, PAOK too but maybe in Europa. PAO and AEK may go past this round but the playoff round wont get any easier so I wont say they wont qualify for Europa but it wont be easy. PAS I think will find it very hard against AZ.

Reality is though I think until 2018 we are in this position of qualifying and no direct entry for Greek teams.

What makes it tougher is teams poor performance or lack of appearence in Europe. your ranking goes down and then you end up unseeded (as AEK is) and its tough. 
It's what has held PAOK in good stead, a few solid runs in the Europa league over the last 5-6 years and we are seeded when it comes to the qualifiers. Doesn't guarantee you'll make the group stage but its a big help. 

I don't think PAO will have many problems with AIK. While its a tricky tie for AEK and Pas are going to need a miracle. 

We scored 0.700 points so far this season. Not bad in general. But as Croatia scored 2.500 points they are threatening us, being just 0.175 behind us now. And they just have to devide their points by four this year.

At least 2 clubs will survive as PAOK and Olympiakos will progress in CL (hopefully because that means they will play in Europe till Christmas) or EL (and than PAOK will be seeded, what makes it easier to qualify for GS).

For now only Rijeka is seeded in P/O. But a lot can change in both ways (Rijeka not seeded if bigger CL-clubs fall to EL or Hajduk Split seeded if a lot bigger EL-clubs get eliminated).

Edited by Dutch Eagle
  • Like it 1

They might be eliminated if Basaksehir wins in Croatia or get a draw with goals. Do not know what is better for our coefficient as both teams are in our neighbourhood.

But if they qualify they can be unseeded after all if two seeded teams from the Championsroute are to be eliminated (5 of those teams are in real danger right now) and must continue in the EL. Or Rostov eliminates Anderlecht in the runners-up-route. The draw in P/O is with the real coefficient and not the borrowed one from the team they conquered in Q2.

Draw is next Friday, by the way.

I don't see Croatia as a long term threat...by that I mean....that if we do ok..we will be higher than them over most 5 year cycles..

so it's up to us to accumulate points.....I see Czechs in similar light...

no point expecting...weak leagues to drop points so they don't over take us...that is somewhat nonsense.

I don't see Croatia as a long term threat...by that I mean....that if we do ok..we will be higher than them over most 5 year cycles..

so it's up to us to accumulate points.....I see Czechs in similar light...

no point expecting...weak leagues to drop points so they don't over take us...that is somewhat nonsense.

I agree...The Croatians won't be a long term threat. The only reason they are doing good right now is because their teams started early in qualifying and are playing teams from Moldova, Albania etc...By the Playoff round or Group Stage i think they will only be left with one team, and maybe 2 (max). The only thing that sucks with Croatia is that they started off with 4 teams in europe so their points are divided by 4 while Greece's is divided by 5, started with 5 teams.

Qualifying in this year's Europa and Champions League is EXTREMELY important for the Greek teams not only for this year but also for the upcoming years. I think OSFP, PAOK, and PAO will each qualify for the Group Stages of either Europa or Champions League. I think that it a MUST...From their it is very important for AEK to qualify as well. I think AEK is the key player for this season. Whatever PAS can get for Greece is a bonus.

The positive thing is that OSFP and PAOK can't be eliminated this round and PAO has the clear advantage over AIK to advance. AEK has the home field advantage against Saint Etienne but one away goal from the French can change everything in that game. PAS will have a hard task but again they are still not out. So we are still sitting ok for now. 

Like you all said the Czechs are going to be hard to pass this season, but it is important for their teams to do bad for the upcoming season. Not only them, but also Swiss and Turkish teams. I think its quite ridiculous that the Czechs and Swiss are surpassing us. Our league is better than theirs and our "Better" teams are better than their "better teams." 

Lets hope for good results this week. The future of Greek soccer in Europe really does depend on it...Before the next important week haha

• Like it 1

Its important to have as many Greek teams in Europe as we can because this qualifying system is what we face again next season from what I saw. (is that correct?) We need to make ground on the rest and by 2018 have automatic entry again, I find it embarrassing that the champs of Greece and kypello winners don't get auto entry into Europa, that's how low Greek Football has dropped.

Typaras10, I agree with everything you said except the part of our league being better than the other 2 (Turkey and Swiss) the Turks have somewhat tried to stamp out corruption unlike us who allow it to get worse and worse each season. The Swiss league while weak I think Basel would probably beat all the better/bigger teams of Greece, they do well in Europe also.

Lets just hope by end of the week we can have 5 teams in Europe, or at very least 4 teams. Big week ahead!!

• Like it 1

Here is how things are shaping out so far for future seasons as far as Greek participation in European competition is concerned:

2016-2017:  Current season in progress. Greece finished in 13th place giving us 2 team in CL qualifying, 3 teams in EL qualifying

2017-2018: Greece finished in 14th giving us the same amount of teams as the current season in progress.

2018-2019: Greece is currenly in 14th place, 0.363 points behing Holland in 13th place and 0.172 points ahead of 15th place Croatia and 1.275 points ahead of 16th place Austria

2019-2020: Greece is currently in 14th place, 0.549 behind Holland in 13th place and 0.15 points ahead of 15th place Croatia and 0.425 points ahead of 16th place Austria. 

2020-2021: Greece is currently in 15th place, 0.733 points behind Holland (14th), and 0.425 ahead of Czech Rep. (16th).

2021-2022: Greece is currently in 23rd place, 1.4 points behind Liechenstein (15th)

It's pretty obvious we need to start accumulating as many points as possible. I think cracking the 12th position, which guarantees a direct entry into the CL group stage is almost unatainable for the next 5 season. We are lso running a real possibility of falling out of the top 15 which guarantees 5 teams in Europe and 2 teams in CL qualifying. 

• Like it 1

from our good era we remember pao flopping at home against ajax when pao only needed a 0-0 to get to a CL final...

To be fair, that was an AWESOME Ajax team.  I remember them going into the Bernebeu and dismantling Real Madrid.  But getting back on topic, until PAOK, PAO and AEK raise their standard, there is little chance of cracking the 12th spot.  There is still a lot of work to do.

• Like it 1

i think we all know the short comings and issues with Greek football..

However the coefficient rankings is the accumulation of points over a 5 year period...we can be deeply analytical as to why we have dropped from 6th to 8th to 10th to 12th to 14th over a 12 year period..

my explanation is simple...6th was unrealistically too high....and at a time when Russia and Ukraine were not spending big $$$$$

also we were never going to sustain a higher coefficient than Portugal and Holland for ever...

so in essence our 'real' coefficient ranking or 'sustainable' ranking is somewhere between 9 and 12.....

the fall over the last 4-5 years is simple...

PAO under alafouzo has become non competitive in europe....hence their ranking and lack of points..

And the demise of AEK.....

Asteras has done well for the 'defacto '  4th best Greek team...

Osfp and PAOK have probably been more consistent in collecting points in the last 4 years than they EVER have...

So if AEK and PAO were at PAOKs European Level of recent years...we would be at 11/12 now maybe slightly higher ..

At least Oly and PAOK get a 2nd chance to redeem themselves and salvage some points for Greece in Europa. 

Lets be honest any of the Greek teams would have struggled to gain points in the CL, the only benefit it would have had to our teams would have been the cheese it generates (?12/15 mil I believe), points wise for Greece's coefficient I doubt any of them would have gained that many, maybe a draw or 2, I feel we have a better chance in EL, all the teams will be seeded bar AEK I think, pending any of them qualify that is.

At least Oly and PAOK get a 2nd chance to redeem themselves and salvage some points for Greece in Europa. 

Lets be honest any of the Greek teams would have struggled to gain points in the CL, the only benefit it would have had to our teams would have been the cheese it generates (?12/15 mil I believe), points wise for Greece's coefficient I doubt any of them would have gained that many, maybe a draw or 2, I feel we have a better chance in EL, all the teams will be seeded bar AEK I think, pending any of them qualify that is.

You do get +4 bonus points for qualifying for CL group stage.  But yeah, I agree, I think it's probably best for now to be in the EL.  That is the standard that our teams are at, to be fair.

So we have :-

- Arouca (POR) v Olympiacos (GRE) 

- Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO) v PAOK (GRE)
- Br?ndby (DEN) v Panathinaikos (GRE)

In an ideal world, all 3 teams should we both home and away, with the possible exception of PAO who I think have the toughest game vs Brondby.  We should have at least 4 or 5 wins here which should earn us 4 or 5 co-efficient points (they are halved during qualification).  Every little bit helps.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of the Dutch - Ajax lost heavily yesterday and AZ Alkmaar drew. PSV and Feyenoord have direct qualification to the group stages of the CL and EL respectively.

The table in the site above isn't yet updated (due to there still being games left to play).