Phantis Forums

Greek music

In just realized there is no topic discussing Greek music. 

Here we can discuss our favorite Greek music and musicians. New and old. Laika, dimotika, rembetika, rock and pop. I'll start.

Only recently I discovered a band called Villagers of Ioannina City that I fell in love with. It is a rock band that incorporated Greek folk music (Ipirotika) in their music. The man behind the band is clarinet player Konstantis Pistiolis, who also has a solo career.

Here are couple samples. 

Villagers of Ioannina City:

Konstantis Pistiolis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wpwI63NKOoE

• 2 months later...

Don't know if this could be called Greek Music. But anyway.

Two brothers from Belgium with Greek roots are the best DJ's this year.

Did not knew them. But bravo to them to break the Dutch domination (#2 #3 #4 #5 are the more famous and some former winning DJ's from The Netherlands like Hardwell, Martin Garrix, Armin van Buren and Tiesto)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitri_Vegas_%26_Like_Mike

Edited by Dutch Eagle
  • Like it 1

Pontos,

Can you tell me some names of Greek rock and metal bands? I'm anxious how that sounds.

My father always listened to Stelios Kazantzidis. I like him too but I also listen to modern music. Last year I went to a concert of Michalis Hatzigiannis with my wife and kids when he was touring in Halkidiki and we happen to be there the same time.

Edited by Dutch Eagle

I can, Dutch. I assume most would've heard of Demis Roussos and Vangelis' group Aphrodite's Child who's album 666 is considered a progressive rock masterpiece.

Hardly any of these bands actually sing in Greek though, aside from one rock band from the 70's named Akritas, their self titled album is a little out there but I enjoy listening to it regularly.

Other bands don't necessarily sound any different to other European rock or metal bands. I'll name a few of the more popular ones along with their genre.

Socrates Drank The Conium - Progressive rock

Firewind - Power metal

Septicflesh - Symphonic Death Metal

Rotting Christ - Black metal

Edited by Pontos
  • Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks re. Why not just use YouTube downloader?

isn't the quality bad?

does it do 320K?

https://kapaki.info  is probably the best Greek torrent site currently.

I went on there mainly TV shows.

Im trying to find that song with Master Tempo and Xristos Mendiatis - Hamos Tha Ginei

Anyone got a torrent link to the single or an album its on.

Im also looking for Spicy Summer 2015 worst case scenario I just buy it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any one listen to Greek heavy metal (thrash, doom, black, death etc)?

Some top quality music coming out of Greece. The musical ideas and the ability of many of these bands is world standard.

I can list 10 bands that are as good as any in their genre.

The technical guitarists that Greece produces is phenomenal. The drumming of Korinthian George Kollias puts him in the top 2 or 3 of drummers in the world.

Let me know if you are in to this music. I've become obsessed with hearing new Hellenic stuff.

While I'm a fan of many genre's of music, metal alongside rock (and most of their subgenres) is the music I listen to on a regular basis. I usually find it hard listening to black metal, although I've found myself liking a couple albums, I can't seem to get past the on purpose low quality production.

I've only really heard of the obvious names in the Greek metal scene, Septicflesh who I like, Firewind and Rotting Christ who I'm not into. Got any suggestions? 

• 3 weeks later...

RIP Pantelis Pantelidis. Absolutely tragic. Legend of our generation. Was due to start performing in Athens as of tomorrow with Vandi. Was going to see him in May.

Ginete, purkagia, skoupise ta podia kai perase, pame stoixima, den tairiazete sou lew, sunodeuomai. The list is endless.

All these great songs in a career that only lasted for 3-4 years. Fantasou if he would have been making music for 30+ years more... 

• Like it 1