Phantis Forums

Greek Referendum - Vote Now.

Greek Bailout Referendum, 2015  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Troika's bailout conditions be accepted ?

• Not approved / NO - don't agree to Troika's terms.
    • Approved / YES - agree to Troika's terms.
    • Abstain - choose not to vote.

I can't vote for either. The referendum should be cancelled. The fascists in Germany have made their views very clear that they don't want to negotiate with Tsipras and they have been exposed for it by the German opposition.

I am nit really in favour of SYRIZA remaining in power either. Both SYRIZA and Merkel's government should resign.

Greece is never going to repay the debts. By opting out of the Euro Zone and reverting back to the drachma this will have very serious issues for many years. That's not a solution either.

Samaras like his football playing namesake is finished. There has to be new leaders from new parties. The truth is that this all fantasy stuff as it's not going to happen. We are stuck with the status quo. We are stuffed either way. We stay in the EZ and hope Germany elect fair minded politicians that want to work with their equivalent Greek counterparts is the only hope I have to see some chance for a better future.

• Like it 1

Tantra I agree with you.  The world is willing to help us but the leadership is offending everyone and acting like a bunch of spoiled kids so its gotten to the point that the EU wants us to just go away.

has anyone else noticed how very few violent riots and frenzied destruction there has been in Greece since the election of the N17 party?

I have no doubt that Tsipra and his cronies are the ones behind all the destructive riots that we have seen over the years...

it's a very predictable 'radical left tool' to destabilize legitimate governments,

• Like it 1

Isn't true that none of you, myself included, knows what this referendum is about? We're all guessing, even if they're reasonable guesses.

So, all is a speculation. I'm afraid that those who are in favor of a "no" vote will be disappointed. Why, because your guesses are not probably what Tsipras will do!...

A referendum isn't supposed to be so vague nor what would happen after it takes place. The previous one  in Greece in the mid 1970s, it was about yes-or-no regarding monarchy. Everybody understood the question and the result left no doubt about the next day!

Today, Tsipras spoke to his supporters in Athens. Do you think this statement actually makes things clear?...  Is this what a referendum is for? (Goodnight)

My understanding of how the vote will play out is that the majority of people over 35 will be voting yes because they remember how Greece was pre Euro.

The majority of the "youth" will vote No because either way they are screwed since they have nothing, and also most of them have grown up while Greece was in the Euro so they don't know what Greece was like before then. I don't think many of them would have lasted very long in the pre euro Greece but that's besides the point...

My understanding of how the vote will play out is that the majority of people over 35 will be voting yes because they remember how Greece was pre Euro.

The majority of the "youth" will vote No because either way they are screwed since they have nothing, and also most of them have grown up while Greece was in the Euro so they don't know what Greece was like before then. I don't think many of them would have lasted very long in the pre euro Greece but that's besides the point...

Greece's "youth" is her greatest asset and strength. I havent returned "home" since 2010 but when I was there in those early years of this financial crisis I was pleasantly surprised and touched at how engaged many of the younger generation were. My experiences were very positive. I got the feeling that the enormous will to do better and change was just strangled out of many of them. When they reach their mid-30s and have been metaphorically put back in their places they accept the mediocrity of a failed system because this very system just lulls them in to being like their parents and the leaders. Whether left or right politically.

If the majority of under 35s vote OXI then I can suport them, if they use it to smash the current system. I hope that they are as well informed as they can be but I doubt that as it's too easy to be overawed. Things might well take a turn for the worst as bad as the last few years have been.

Whichever way the vote goes I think it's a 5% chance that they leave the EU. That's not really up for negotiating, as a member since 1981 and 5 years before Spain and Portugal. However, cutting links with the restrictions of the EZ is 50-50. No one really knows what dumping the Euro for the drachma will mean. Hyperinflation, a lack of foreign credit/investment, massive decrease in imports of necessities etc.

• Like it 1

No one really knows what dumping the Euro for the drachma will mean. Hyperinflation, a lack of foreign credit/investment, massive decrease in imports of necessities etc.

Everybody knows what it will mean. There have been precedents. Does the Argentine great depression of 1998?2002 ring any bells? So far, it's playing out the same way.  Does anybody have any reason to believe that it's not going to turn out the same? Riots and political turmoil? I just pray that it doesn't manifest itself into a full fledged civil war.

I can't predict the future, but if history is of any guidance, we (the Greeks) should brace for the worst.

Edited by JimAdams

Yes, Argentina is the example that will more than likely happen but the unknown is that Greece is in a union unlike Argentina. I'm not referring to monetary EZ union but the EU.

I don't know about wide spread riots and civil war etc. Probably only in your wet dreams.

Maybe Europe can do food drops like they do in Africa.  I can't imagine the bearded pony tailed youth are able to grow anything considering that Mommy and Daddy gives them an allowance at 35 years of age.

• Like it 1

The last thing the EU want is to have Greece stop using the Euro. Of course, this is just my opinion, as no one can look into a crystal ball and know how the future will play out, but I've always thought Greece leaving the EZ (as opposed to the EU) is their biggest fear.

For, if Greece did go back to the drachma and it eventually worked out ok, others will surely follow. We can't know if this would happen, but the EU doesn't want to take the risk.

When Papandreou proposed a referendum that was the EU's opportunity to have Greece leave the EZ. Were they happy with his decision ? Instead, he went into a meeting and walked out ashen faced (oh to be a fly on the wall) and the referendum was no more.

Again, they could "kick" Greece out now ... but it's not that simple. Legally, it's a minefield as well.

I believe Tsipras and Varoufakis know the dread the EU have of Greece going to another currency, and have played the game accordingly. Risky. Very risky! But calculated none the less.

Come on people. Don't forget to cast your vote. After all, the Greeks invented democracy!!

Good for them. But, democracy wasn't for all, and democracy led to mob rule.  [remember?  ..come over here Socrates, drink this....]

PS> I'm not for aristocracy, monarchy, or dicatorship, but democracy needs responsible, engaged, informed citizens. That's all .... (big order, I know)