Phantis Forums

PAOK FC Head Coach (Razvan Lucescu)

Blackhawk

• 5 months later...

Rumors are also that Garcia is meeting with the Savvidis team to discuss an extension, so who knows hahaha

I think he'd flip his wig if he were asked to helm the B team (if that even exists next season).

Poor Garcia. I can't believe it.

https://inpaok.com/688150/to-ochi-tou-pablo-gkarsia/

https://inpaok.com/688149/epistrefei-o-razvan-loutseskou/

-edit- well okay I CAN believe it, but it's still surprising to me. I guess Savvidis knows they've got a lot of cash coming in, and this is the opportunity to get back to big-spending, big-winning ways...

-edit 2- Take the below (and the above) with a grain of salt...

https://www.sdna.gr/podosfairo/842607_titloi-teloys-gia-gkarsia-ston-paok-i-syzitisi-kai-i-protasi-toy-iban

Edited by pash

Not sure what to say. We were supposed to give Pablo a chance, especially after he won the cup. Lucescu was by far our most successful manager but he ditched us the day before pre-season.

It's clear that Savvidis is not letting emotions get in the way of running a business.

You know what's funny? I assumed the complete opposite - that Lucescu is just another example of Savvidis going off half-cocked in an attempt to regain some past glory. It would be in keeping with his history! But your point also stands - he could in this case be objectively looking at his options and going, "this guy would crush this job."

If Lucescu does come back, rest assured the technical director we eventually get (be it Korneev or someone else) will be there simply to facilitate his decisions. Lucescu's gonna be given a lot of money to play with, and a lot of leeway on rebuilding his team.

I really doubt Lucescu will be as successfull as the first time. There is no chance in hell he will go undefeated again, and we all know that's what the fans will demand and probably will be needed to win a title again. I'll give it about 3 months before grumbling starts. 

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK FC Head Coach (Razvan Lucescu)
43 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

I'll give it about 3 months before grumbling starts. 

This is where somebody from PAE needs to come out and explain that he needs to time do some rebuilding. If people think he will come and instantly pick up from where he left off, they are delusional.

Lucescu signed a 3-year contract for him and his 7-team coaching staff worth 1.7 mil Euro per season plus bonuses.

Garcia was offered the position of PAOK B coach plus support to further his coaching education and acquire UEFA coaching license. He declined to accept or reject the offer at this time asking for more time.

Garcia will have no trouble finding a job elsewhere if he wants a top-level job. But the fact of the matter is, he needs those licenses. I would not be surprised if Savvidis' offer was relatively generous (compensation-wise), and he'd have the chance to get a lot more experience by coaching the B team. From what I saw, Savvidis did not give a deadline on the response so it's all about Garcias agent at this point.

Regarding needing an undefeated season to win a championship - could be, might not. What exists now, however, is a big gap. You can't call yourself a credible threat when you're 20+ points behind at the end of the year. Lucescu would do well if he can just offer more consistent results in the league while improving our play in Europe. But then again, if he loses the league by like one game...who knows what Savvidis' reaction will be.

The rumours were pointing to this for a while now.  It is overall a logical decision and I think a good one.  I guess whatever problems Lucescu had with Savvidis son have been smoothed over and the club has realised it's probably best to just let Lucescu run the team.  Realistically I can't think of a better candidate even though it's all been a fiasco in how it's played out.

Regarding the situation for Garcia, it sucks but he needs to look at the big picture.  Lucescu *is* a better coach currently.  Garcia still needs experience (which he has gotten a lot of this season) and to get his licenses.  His best bet would be to coach the B team or a team say like Xanthi for few seasons, do the hard yards and then I think he'll be ready.  Who knows, he still might be our coach one day.

Can't disagree with you. No question who the better coach is. I just feel the team did Garcia dirty. I do hope we quickly return to Lucescu's style. That was a hell of a fun to watch team

Once again as fans we will need to have patience. Lucescu will basically be creating a new team. This will include getting rid of old players and bringing in new ones. It will be a building process and I don't expect results right away (the first season). There will be many obstacles along the way that he will need to overcome. Let's see if this team building process will push us in the FFP problem zone at the end of his tenure.

As for Garcia, he was basically used by the administration to pull them out of the tough spot. Not only did the team get out of the FFP problems, we won a title at the end as well. I think it would be better for Pablo to leave the team right now and go somewhere else (Spain, etc.) and get the proper licenses and experience or he risks of becoming another Georgios Georgiadis.

He has arrived. Apparently he'll be in town until Saturday, at which point he returns to Romania to prepare for his big move. Looking forward to tomorrow's press conference

Basically what we learned today is that

- Biseswar, El Kaddouri are staying
- we will not be getting a new goaltender
- we will try to loan Krmencik again but nothing is guaranteed
- he likes Prijovic but he is under contract and expensive

About Krmencik, he thinks his current club may try to loan him but he didn't exactly say they were looking for another loan on our side. Important distinction!

I hope they don't back a dump truck full of money onto El Kaddouri's lawn. Guy will be injured for 2/3 of the season anyway.

Well Kaddouri turned down an offer for 600K per year offer, which would be quite a pay cut. However that was before Lucescu's comeback. Also, I don't think he has been getting any big offer elsewhere. I think with a 750K offer he will stay.

• 1 year later...

I know it is very easy to speak in hindsight but I now believe it was ultimately a mistake bringing him back. Perhaps he should have never left in the first place but I understand that money talks.

I hope he proves my thinking wrong but I don't know if there is a will to rebuild a team like he did back then, especially considering he loves using the same players.