Phantis Forums

PAOK FC Head Coach (Razvan Lucescu)

Blackhawk

Obviously this is a circus but it's infinitely better it happens now.  As for the replacement, Lucescu, it's a decent choice.  He ticks one of the criteria we all wanted i.e. understanding the GSL and he's proven he's at the very least competent.  He also played a very defensive game so I hope he'll use that knowledge to break down defensive teams.  Time will tell.

As for Stanojevic, what a let down.  All he did was whine about how he wants to play this and that style all the while complaining he didn't have the players to do it. And he would say this in public!  Yes banana, that is a guaranteed way to make the players not play for you, not respect you, not believe in you and worst of all, lose confidence in themselves. Seriously what an imbecile. 

Normally I'd be really pissed about yet another firing but I believe in this case the right call was made.

That was a fast one. But as you all say, better now than in a couple months.

The problem is that those who were saying that Vukic suggested Stanojevic while Michel didn't want him probably were right. This is an ongoing problem for PAOK. Who is responsible for what and who is in charge of what.

Personally, I would prefer Pablo Garcia to be our coach, but Lucescu it is.

After the Ivic fiasco, it was clear that Michel wanted Lucescu. The fact that Michel and Lucescu's father have very good relations point to that fact. Unfortunately Savvidis hearing that a lot of PAOK fans didn't like Lucescu stepped in and listened to Vukic. This probably did not make Michel very happy. This most likely did not sit well with some of the players as well. Specially the ones that were brought in by Michel. 

Lucescu is not a bad coach. He also knows the reality of playing in Superleague. Just like Ivic did. Only time will tell if he has to take us that one step further.

I expect players to come out and show the aggressiveness they lacked under Stanojevic. I also expect 2 to 3 transfers to be announced by Michel very soon. 

P.S. Still waiting for the time, when PAOK will have the same coach for more than one season.

Does anyone know what the contract terms for Stajonevic were ?  I believe it was 1+1 so we only have to pay him out for 1 year.  Not a bad payout for Stajonevic for 56 days work.  Any idea what his yearly salary was ?

• 7 months later...

This would be the first time in how many years we have a manager for more than one season ?!

I think this is a solid move by the club.  Rasvan seems to have the club room and that is half the battle.

55 minutes ago, Bananas said:

This would be the first time in how many years we have a manager for more than one season ?!

I think this is a solid move by the club.  Rasvan seems to have the club room and that is half the battle.

don't jinx it

• 1 month later...

PRETTY FRIGGIN' IMPRESSIVE, EH?

Give the guy the raise. He's refused to comment on it, but we have him for another year regardless. I'm sure that 600k also does not include bonuses for any titles we win, as well (though I don't recall what he was offered in case of winning the title, cup, or group/knockout stages of EL last season).

Very, very happy with this coach.

Happy to eat humble pie when it comes to Lucescu. Thought he wasn't the right move. Have been proven wrong and happily so. Although I will reiterate the thing I was against, and still am is instability. Razvan came in and had a great season despite coming in so late, credit to him.

If we can hang onto our core and a with few more signings we should be starting as favourites to win the league/having a run in Europe. 

I’ve been very impressed with him.  Not so much the tactics as that is subjective anyway.  But the way he seems to have won over the players.  We should also note that he has the team playing at a good level more consistently than ... well ever.  There, now he’s jinxed.

• 3 months later...

Here's the biggest thing about the Lucescu-era PAOK. Before, we would occasionally beat big teams in the EL...but it would be a thrilling event that would rely on a moment of brilliance from one or two players to get the job done. It was the same thing for the GSL - many games that we should have easily won, would be very tight affairs.

Today, though, we don't see that. The team doesn't just try to overpower the opponent with one pacey winger or a good striker. They play with a system, attacking at the right time, defending at the right time. The team reacts quickly and effectively basically all the time, and even when they're down a goal, they don't panic. This, for me, is Lucescu's biggest achievement (even if you could say that Ivic had them playing similarly during his hot streak).

• 2 weeks later...

We have resigned Razvan until the end of next season (19-20) 

https://www.paokfc.gr/nea/20180827-lucescu-os-to-2020/

Can't help but think the extension is only for one year because Lucescu and his team could be anticipating offers from better leagues if he carries on his form with us and so far he's off to a brilliant start this season

• Like it 1

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK FC Head Coach (?)
  • Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK FC Head Coach (Razvan Lucescu)