Phantis Forums

PAOK History in Europe

Blackhawk

@Athens4 if you want to make the CL email Savvidis and tell him to spend some money.  Oh that's right, he can't due to FFP.  I believe if we had Cabella playing for us we would've qualified instead of Krasnodar.  Problem is he cost Krasnodar 12 million.  That's how much we'll spend on 6 players over 4 years.  We shouldn't cry when we can beat teams with bigger budgets and better quality squads.  Yes, we had our chances, but they didn't get there.

As for the Conference League, maybe that's where our teams belong.  Let's face it, the league has dropped multiple spots over the last 15 years in the rankings.  Every year we drop another level.  Something is obviously wrong with our league and I don't put it all down to money.  Anyway, with 4 teams each win in Europe will count for more and I'd like to think we would get more wins in the Conference League.  

• Like it 2

I'm 53 and managed to taste a championship after some dark ages but I don't think I will see the day we play in CL. CL might even be abolished if the biggies unite and start a thing like they do in basket in Europe. Maybe for the better

Anyway, after a bad night (went to bed pissed and woke up the same and still after a few hours of work) we must go on and enter tomorrow's draw at 14:00 EEST.

For those interested there is this site you can do a draw yourself: https://draw.inker.one/#/el/gs/2020

Adjust it to this season (if needed) and be a UEFA-mobster and pick the balls.

Teams can be changed as tonight is PO of EL and this format has the assumption the higher coëfficiënt qualifies. Teams will be adjusted tonight, though.

btw, I got Leverkusen, Young boys and Molde.

I got Leverkusen, Dinamo Zagreb and Zorya (from the Ukraine). So I guess since we both got Leverkusen it means it's a lock to happen?

I wouldn't mind the above group, there are easier teams in pot 1 but you generally have the powerhouse that sweeps the group and we battle away for the 2nd place. 

16 hours ago, Athens4 said:

Χρηστάρα, οτι και να πούμε για το Κόνφερενς - δεν έχει αστεράκια. Δεν έχει τα ωραία τα αστεράκια με τον ύμνο του CL να παίζει την ώρα που ο καμεραμάν περνάει μπροστά απο τους παίκτες. Εδω το Γιουρόπα αρχίζει να έχει ενδιαφέρον μετα τους προημιτελικούς, πριν δεν βλέπεται. 'Ολη η ουσία είναι να μπείς στο ομίλους του CL ώστε να είσαι στον ποδοσφαιρικό χάρτη. Τι να λέμε τώρα.

I don't disagree, but you have to be ready to play in the CL. We are not. And last two years we were not ready to even play in Europa League. I say this season go out and have a respectable showing in EL. Qualify from the groups stage and see how far you can go. Next season go to Conference and see if can make it to the quarterfinals or semifinals. Slowly build up before you tackle CL again.

• Like it 1

Getting deep in even the "terrible" competition will still be a great accomplishment. It is not CL or nothing. If we had kept a solid record in the Europa League in recent years, then we would not constantly be in the unseeded situation we find ourselves in CL qualifiers. We can still end this season with an improved standing.

• Like it 1

5 minutes ago, pash said:

They'll probably be conscripted on their return home. Might not be able to field a whole team.

I believe they spanked us a few years back?

Yes we lost twice against them in the year we got second in GS with Fiorentina to progress to the last 32.

We are going to pot 2.

APOEL, Copenhagen, Viktoria Plzen, FC Basel and Malmö are already out.

Sporting Lisbon and Galatasaray are almost out. Gala has a few minutes to equalize. Sporting has 15 minutes to make three goals (1-4 down) with only 10 players.

The pots are as follows:

POT 1

Arsenal London ENG 91.000
Tottenham Hotspur ENG 85.000
AS Roma ITA 80.000
SSC Napoli ITA 77.000
Benfica Lisbon POR 70.000
Bayer Leverkusen GER 61.000
Villareal ESP 56.000
CSKA Moscow RUS 44.000
Sporting Braga POR 41.000
AA Gent BEL 39.500