Phantis Forums

PAOK History in Europe

Blackhawk

Copenhagen has a fairly decent team and won't be easy.

Our goal should be to finish first so we can qualify directly to the Round of 16.

Second place means we will need to play an extra round with the 3rd place teams from the Europa League group stage in order to make it to the Round of 16.

• Like it 3

I must be the only one not super confident. Copenhagen is a good team, there are no guarantees we top this group by any means. Slovan as well, they managed a draw with Olympiakos over-night and they played most of the match with 10 men. 

I understand the attitude "if we can't get through this group in this competition then pack up shop" but I don't think it's that simple. Need to give the other teams credit and respect, we aren't Liverpool. 

My prediction we go through in 2nd place and play the round of 32/preliminary qualifying round against a Europa League opponent. 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, paokarag4 said:

I must be the only one not super confident. Copenhagen is a good team, there are no guarantees we top this group by any means. Slovan as well, they managed a draw with Olympiakos over-night and they played most of the match with 10 men. 

I understand the attitude "if we can't get through this group in this competition then pack up shop" but I don't think it's that simple. Need to give the other teams credit and respect, we aren't Liverpool. 

My prediction we go through in 2nd place and play the round of 32/preliminary qualifying round against a Europa League opponent. 

My head hurts

A decent draw.  Really there were only 2 teams to avoid 100% and they are Tottenham and Roma and I suppose all Dutch teams ha ha.  It will come down to form and injuries and simply the game on the day.  The teams in the group are fairly even for the most part.

A guy from my work who is a Rennes fan would love to play PAOK.  I have converted him after showing him clips of Toumba.  He is not happy with their group.  Easily the toughest group.  To put it in perspective Rennes have spent 65 million so far on transfers and we have spent … 300K.  Yes he likes to make fun of me.

if you want to have a laugh go and look at the team value for the Lincoln Red Imps.  To laugh some more check how much they’ve spent on transfers in their entire history.

Anyway I guess we’ll see how good (or not) we are in the coming months.  Definitely qualification from the group is the goal but it’s not a given.  We’ll need to be ready or we’ll get a lesson.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1

16 hours ago, Dutch Eagle said:

If possible I want to avoid Greek/Dutch clashes. So no AZ of Vitesse please. I would like Copenhagen, Flora/Alashkert/CSKA and Mura/LRI.

Got almost what I wanted. Slovan is good to (better than Union Berlin or the long trip to Kazachstan travelling four timezones). Paybacktime. 

Next I want is de Imps or Slovan on MD 1 in Toumba. Or is this too much asked for?

PAOK can win this group, but I would not be surprised if we finish 3rd if we don't take the game seriously.

I think the group winner will be decided in the two games against Copenhagen. Slovan can do damage if we are not careful.

• Like it 1

I think right now Copenhagen is a better team than us. Also Slovan eliminated us once allready, so nothing will surprise me. If we don't show up to play and not take these teams seriously we will pay for it.

• Like it 1

Yep the group isn’t tough and we can finish first but we also might not qualify.  Copenhagen and Slovan are nothing special but the truth is the same goes for us.  I don’t think they’re quaking in their boots and they certainly haven’t penned us down as guaranteed first place.

• Like it 1

And this is how they were eliminated last year against ................ yep Rijeka. Was the only goal of this match in the one legged EL PO.

We must respect København but do not have to fear them as if they were some bunch of Messi's. We probably will have two draws against them or a win each. The latter is better as it earns you one point more.

Slovan must be doping for the lads. Lucescu does not need to prepare them. Guys like Vieirinha, Varela want revenche for sure.

Lincoln Red Imps are two must win games. They will park the bus. An early goal is the recipe to make it not too difficult for ourselves.

• Haha 1

Draw is out for our Europa Conference League group stage. 

16/9 Λίνκολν-ΠΑΟΚ 19:45
30/9 ΠΑΟΚ-Σλόβαν Μπρατισλάβας 22:00
21/10 Κοπεγχάγη-ΠΑΟΚ 19:45
4/11 ΠΑΟΚ-Κοπεγχάγη 22:00
25/11 Σλόβαν Μπρατισλάβας-ΠΑΟΚ 19:45
9/12 ΠΑΟΚ-Λίνκολν 22:00

3 hours ago, PAOKSYD said:

Draw is out for our Europa Conference League group stage. 

16/9 Λίνκολν-ΠΑΟΚ 19:45
30/9 ΠΑΟΚ-Σλόβαν Μπρατισλάβας 22:00
21/10 Κοπεγχάγη-ΠΑΟΚ 19:45
4/11 ΠΑΟΚ-Κοπεγχάγη 22:00
25/11 Σλόβαν Μπρατισλάβας-ΠΑΟΚ 19:45
9/12 ΠΑΟΚ-Λίνκολν 22:00

I love the order of the games. Need 6 points going into the Copenhagen matches. Then we can just look for a draw and win in that order. 

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK History in Europe