Phantis Forums

PAOK History in Europe

Blackhawk

41 minutes ago, BostonThanatos said:

I'm seeing a lot of chatter on FB and IG about we should pass easily....I'm not sure what they know that I don't but this is NOT a slam dunk group for us, not even close.  Im not very confident in us advancing.

That’s because they’re idiots.  Having said that I think it’s a decent draw.  I much prefer PSV over teams like Arsenal, Roma, Napoli, Benfica.  Granada, most people think we should beat but once again, unsurprisingly, they have a bigger budget than us, so it won’t be easy.  They play in a proper league with proper teams and won’t be initimidated by us.

As paokarag4 said, we have to get 6 points against Omonia, to even think about progressing.  Again not easy, but essential.  If we play to the general standard we’ve had in these CL qualifiers we are a chance.  But it all depends on how the team goes in the next couple of months.  I feel like the team, or more specifically, Ferreira is all over the shop.  If we start having a bad run in the league I can see the morale of the team will drop and will affect our EL performances.

A lot depends on sorting out the striker position and after that the RB.  You can’t expect to play in Europe against proper teams without a guy that can finish.

31 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

Tricky draw IMO. Simply must pick up 6 points against Omonia but they won't be easy matches. If you get 6 from those games you give yourself a fighting chance. Granada although not a big traditional team in Europe will still be tough. 

@Bananas read it here https://www.sport24.gr/football/vathmologia-uefa-paremeine-sti-17i-thesi-i-ellada.9004961.html

Thanks champ.

10 hours ago, Bananas said:

The current system where 3rd place from Champions League Group Stages goes to the Europa League Knock Out stages will become obsolete.  So, once you're in one of these 3 competitions, that's it.  You'll need to finish 1st or 2nd in your group to proceed further.  Otherwise, you're done in Europe for that year.

On the plus side for us, actually qualifying is not very different from how it has been - teams will still be dropping down a league in many cases (assuming Wiki is correct):

Moreover, 20 teams eliminated from the 2021–22 UEFA Champions League and 26 teams eliminated from the 2021–22 UEFA Europa League are transferred to the Europa Conference League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League#Association_team_allocation

The EL section also continues to have CL drop-outs shown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_League#Distribution

UEFA champion of the common man.  It was much more interesting in the old days when you played a team whose squad were composed of players from that country.  If you beat say a Hungarian team it was composed of you know Hungarian players (probably a bad example).  Now, it’s like you’re playing a corporation.

Just on European competition and how it used to be, I really think it was football in it's purest form. All domestic Champions in a knockout format and all Cup winners in a knockout format. It adds so much more meaning to domestic cups, which most big clubs don't take serious around Europe. 

I know it will never go back, there is too many big teams that UEFA wants in Europe and too much money would be lost by having only one of Real Madrid or Barca in the Champions League but I think it would be cool to revisit.

I never got to see the old school format, maybe it's just a case of the grass seems greener. And there was obviously issues, you'd get the champions of Belarus getting hammered over 2 legs by Juventus but hey if you really want a Champions League full of domestic champions then that's what it should be. 

The CL has become a self fulfilling prophecy.  There was always stronger leagues and stronger teams but now the gap is VAST.  I remember when Juventus got smashed 3-1 by Panathinaikos in Athens in 2000.  Now that will never happen in the next 1000 years. Thank you UEFA, keep funnelling that money in the right direction (and your own pockets of course).

4 minutes ago, pash said:

Wow, so a CL Q3 team could lose two games, get booted to EL PO, lose both those games, and still make it to the ECL group stage. Hilarious. Talk about failing into success.

If your a big team no matter what you get International money, just when you thought that UEFA did something just for the smaller teams to help them out.

UEFA doesn't care about smaller clubs/countries as long they are making money with CL

As for the draw if we don't perform we will end up like we did couple years ago when we could not get past VIDI and BATE Borisov. Omonia will be a tough nut to crack from what I saw in the two games against Olympiakos. They will play the typical Greek school bus defense and we all know we have a hard time against such teams. I could see us winning the group, but we could also easily finish fourth.

Our Europa League schedule:

22-OCT-2020, 19:55 EET:  PAOK - Omonia
29-OCT-2020, 22:00 EET:  Granada FC - PAOK
05-NOV-2020, 19:55 EET:  PAOK - PSV Eindhoven
26-NOV-2020, 22:00 EET: PSV Eindhoven - PAOK
03-DEC-2020, 22:00 EET: Omonia - PAOK
10-DEC-2020, 19:55 EET:  PAOK - Granada CF

Couldn't ask for a better schedule.

• Like it 2

Hmm!

Οι 23 παίκτες της λίστας Α είναι οι: Ροντρίγκο , Μπίσεσβαρ , Τσόλακ , Κρέσπο , Μάτος , Ελ Καντουρί , Εσίτι , Γιαννούλης , Ίνγκασον , Βαρέλα , Λύρατζης , Μιχαηλίδης , Μιχάι , Μουργκ , Νινούα , Πασχαλάκης , Σβαμπ , Ντόουγκλας , Σφιντέρσκι , Τσιγγάρας , Ουαγκέ , Ζίβκοβιτς , Α.Ζίβκοβιτς .

Στη λίστα Β συμπεριλαμβάνονται οι: Αβεντισιάν, Γιαξής, Κωνσταντέλιας, Κουλιεράκης, Κούτσιας , Παναγιώτου, Τάχατος, Ταλιχμανίδης, Τζόλης , Βρακάς

Should still be one hour left though. Poor Tzolis.

UEFA Players Lists explained:

What is a ‘List A’ player?
A maximum of 25 players, two of whom must be goalkeepers. There are a minimum of eight places reserved exclusively for 'locally trained players'. If a club have fewer than eight locally trained players in their squad, then the maximum number of players on List A is reduced accordingly.

What's a 'locally trained player'?
There are two categories:
1. A Club Trained Player - This is a player who has been on the club’s book for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.
2. Association Trained Players - This is for players who were on the books of another club, in the same Association, for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

No club can have more than four association-trained players among their eight nominees on List A.

What is List B, then?
A player may be registered on List B if he is born on, or after, 1 January 1995 and has been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted period of two years since his 15th birthday (players aged 16 may be registered if they have been registered with the club for the previous two years). Clubs are entitled to register an unlimited number of players on List B during the season, but the list must be submitted by no later than 24:00CET the day before a match.

• 2 weeks later...

PAOK TV is presenting a video with all the PAOK goals in Europa League Group Stage games. There are some nice goals in this video.

https://tv.paokfc.gr/vods/vod.248?fbclid=IwAR2l4V7BfdysNMiH4AXDcDS4c5_LUcAy3yo6lZ0iJo5Kum0n6KVlnp5pybc

You need to login to your PAOK TV account in order to watch the 10 minute video.

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK History in Europe