Phantis Forums

PAOK History in Europe

Blackhawk

Was the UEFA proscription regarding Greek/Turkish matchups a sure thing?

Still not sure who I'd rather out of this list. None of them are bad teams but we should be able to take any of them. Will be hard to make it through this round either way.

My order of preference:

Rapid
Besiktas
Viktoria

The good thing is we avoid a Dutch team.

The GR/TK matchup was a rumor on some British site which only mentioned Trabzonspor. Until we hear something official from UEFA nothing is a sure thing. 

If games are held behind closed doors then it shouldn't really matter, I would think. Particularly if they just insist that the games be played on neutral ground. Color me skeptical!

1 hour ago, PaokCT said:

We can’t play ajax this year. They won the league. 

020 did not win the League! 

And AZ is still trying to persuade the Dutch FA that AZ should be in the champions path and 020 in the League path. Because they beat 020 twice (2-0 and 1-0 convincing victories) but just had a worse GD (with equal points) in the unfinished championship. If this happens we still might face those ........

They'll have to move quick, given the draw is in 10 days time. Can't see it happening, if the rules in Dutch football is goal difference then it's hard for them to overturn that decision. Even in this crazy year with COVID and everything. 

Even quicker. August 3 is the day entries for European Cups close. 

The rules are there. Covid-19 wasn’t included though. UEFA allows FA’s to apply rules made by that FA. But also like criteria that follow sportmanship. GD is subjective. AZ might have won just one game of the remaining games with 7-0 and would have been first on GD. But those games aren’t played. The HTH games are played and thus more an objective criterium to determine the ranking. 

And we are talking about a lot of money. The Dutch champion or rather participant for that spot will 99,99% be in GS. Startbonus is € 25 mil.!! 

Can’t see it happening too, but they have a point in my opinion. Look at France. There the League was ended too and the French FA reversed the # of Stade Reims and Nice. GD of Reims was better but HTH was in favor of Nice.

This is the last year for the current European format. We might as well qualify for once now as CL and EL become a private party for the happy few from the 2021/2022-season:

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/General/02/58/61/42/2586142_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Greece is now #17 but with a good run of FC Basel in this year’s EL that will restart this week could end #18.

Only the Greek champion qualifies for the Q’s of CL. Q2 if #17, Q1 if #18. Only 4 champions of the minnows qualify for CL GS...............

The CW, N2 and N3 qualify for Q2 of the new Conference League. No Greek clubs in the (new) EL!!!

The four neutral venues picked by UEFA for the 2020-2021 qualifying rounds of UEFA competitions are Greece, Cyprus, Hungary and Poland.

Following the elimination of Olympiakos from Europa League, Greece will end up in 18th place in the UEFA rankings which means that in 2021-2022 European competitions Greece will have the following representation:

UEFA Champions League: Greek Champion - Qualifying Round 1
UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL):  Greek Cup Winner, 2nd, 3rd place finishers - Qualifying Round 2

Tomorrow is draw for the CL. Who would you prefer?

My prediction is Rapid Vienna and that is also the team I would prefer. I would like to stay away from Besiktas and Viktoria Plzen.

30 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Tomorrow is draw for the CL. Who would you prefer?

My prediction is Rapid Vienna and that is also the team I would prefer. I would like to stay away from Besiktas and Viktoria Plzen.

Do you really think Uefa will pit AZ with Besiktas? Two big names with big players. I doubt they’ll do that (yes I believe it’s a conspiracy against PAOK)! I agree I’d want Rapid , but I think we will get the Turks

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK History in Europe