Phantis Forums

PAOK History in Europe

Blackhawk

• 2 weeks later...

Against AZ we stand no chance since they are a Dutch team. Sivasspor or Osijek are beatable. Specially if we will play the game at Toumba. Also if we qualify we automatically secure spot in the Europa League group stage.

We shouldn't have a problem qualifying for EL even if we don't make it through a round, but we have multiple examples of shooting ourselves in the foot over the past few years. So all I can say is fingers crossed.

16 hours ago, PaokCT said:

Should we get a result sunday, we will open up our UCL campaign against AZ, Sivasspor, or Osijek. We will be huge underdogs in 2/3 legs even as the seeded team.

It’s not decided yet. Sivasspor is just one point ahead of Besiktas (coefficient 54,000). And Galatasaray has 4 points less. Next Sunday we have Sivasspor-Genclerbirligi and Besiktas-Fenerbahce. If not decided this Sunday: on July 26 we have Genclerbirligi-Besiktas and Göztepe-Sivasspor.

Another thing: if EL-Th qualifies for CL-GS via League, then N3 of country 5 goes to CL-GS and countries 10 and 11 go from Q2 to Q3. This would mean AZ and the Turkish runner-up would be promoted to Q3 leaving is unseeded anyway in Q2. This in a regular year.

But as the current European season is restarted after the last possible day for the FA’s (August 3) to register the clubs that represent them and the draw is on August 10 it is more likely that both teams in the Dutch-? and Turkish-? ties will be promoted to Q3 without playing if Shaktar, Basaksehir, Inter, Sevilla or United (the latter a liability as they could drop out of the first four as City’s ban was overrulend by CAS and they face Leicester on the last MD) win EL.

So Sivasspor is still winning, Besiktas is still 0-0 (half time for both games). If the results stand Sivasspor will be three points ahead and they have a better goal differential.

-edit- I should note that Fenerbahce is playing with ten men (since the 25th minute). Chances are that Besiktas will win this, though even if they do they'll still be in third (assuming Sivasspor still wins).

As a reminder, next week is:

Genclerbirligi - Basiktas

Goztepe - Sivasspor

We might end up seeded after all.

Edited by pash

Rules for classification: Head-to-head points like in Greece.

Sivas 2-0 up now. But Besiktas are 1-0 up. If Fener manages to get a draw against Besiktas and Sivas wins then it is over as Sivas won both matches in the league.

Yes, we're aware. Ultimately both teams won, so this will be decided on the last match day. Sivasspor will need to win to make the qualifiers (and give us a seeded spot).

For me any opponent except Plzen. 

BTW, Trabzonspor might be still be eligible playing in next season's CL League path. They went to CAS too. If so then we are seeded and then any club except AZ.

This is true! On the other hand, sometimes we come out chomping at the bit in the summers. I have never seen us change this quickly, but then again, I've never seen such a short summer anyway.

The biggest positive is that the team should be in much better shape than usual. If there are players that are causing problems, perhaps they will be identified and removed early as well.

My ability to fully read and comprehend Greek is a little rusty, but are they saying UEFA would block a game between Paok and Trabzonspor? 

if so, we’d be seeded and either play AZ or Zagreb. 50% chance we play AZ , which sucks but also a 50% Zagreb which isn’t bad. In Vegas are you taking those odds? 

Edited by PaokCT
New info

We will know in a few days what the situation with Trabzonspor is. I really hope they are allowed to partake and that we get Lokomotiva Zagreb. We thrashed them five years ago. However considering this is PAOK, we will either get AZ or Tranzonsport will not have their punishment overturned.

1 hour ago, PaokCT said:

My ability to fully read and comprehend Greek is a little rusty, but are they saying UEFA would block a game between Paok and Trabzonspor? 

if so, we’d be seeded and either play AZ or Zagreb. 50% chance we play AZ , which sucks but also a 50% Zagreb which isn’t bad. In Vegas are you taking those odds? 

Reports circulating in Turkey are saying UEFA don't want Greek teams to play Turkish teams due to the current tensions relating to Agia Sofia being turned into a Mosque and other issues. It appears this would apply to whichever Turkish team is in the 2nd qualifying round be it Trabzonspor or Besiktas. All this is unconfirmed at this stage by UEFA but it remains to be seen, the draw is set for the 10th of August so I guess we'll be finding out relatively soon. 

1 hour ago, paokarag4 said:

Reports circulating in Turkey are saying UEFA don't want Greek teams to play Turkish teams due to the current tensions relating to Agia Sofia being turned into a Mosque and other issues. It appears this would apply to whichever Turkish team is in the 2nd qualifying round be it Trabzonspor or Besiktas. All this is unconfirmed at this stage by UEFA but it remains to be seen, the draw is set for the 10th of August so I guess we'll be finding out relatively soon. 

So then let’s hope besiktas it is, so we would be unseeded and play Plzn or Rapid

On 7/25/2020 at 4:05 PM, Dutch Eagle said:

For me any opponent except Plzen. 

I agree with this statement.

We should also take into account that this will only be one game and we don't if it is going to be a home or away game. We don't really know what shape the teams involved will be at the end of August.

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK History in Europe