Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

It’s now rumoured the leader for the job for the national team is former Aek coach Manolo Jimenez… What are everyone’s thoughts if this is the direction the EPO goes?

Personally I am not a big fan of Jimenez. My preferred order out of the names thrown around is Valverde, Donis, Santos. 

3 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Makes sense since today's EPO is controlled by Melissanidis and AEK.

Worst possible selection in my opinion. Can't decide if it would he would be worse than Gatuzzo.

Is his name in the mix? Gatuzzo was a warrior as a player a pit-bull in the midfield and was a key piece to Italy wcup winning squad. As a manager I would say no thanks. To much off a side show. 

An article in Sport24 today is saying Jimenez name is in the forefront for the NT job. The other options are Donis, Dellas, Ouzounidis and Anastasiou. EPO want to hire a coach in the next few weeks and Santos is considered to be a real long shot at this point as is Valverde. If those are only options I would take Donis. 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Ellada2004 said:

An article in Sport24 today is saying Jimenez name is in the forefront for the NT job. The other options are Donis, Dellas, Ouzounidis and Anastasiou. EPO want to hire a coach in the next few weeks and Santos is considered to be a real long shot at this point as is Valverde. If those are only options I would take Donis. 

I read that article today, they also said they only have about $500,000 to spend on a coach so right there you can forget about any big name coach coming for that kind of money.

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

I read that article today, they also said they only have about $500,000 to spend on a coach so right there you can forget about any big name coach coming for that kind of money.

Santos currently gets 2.6 mil to coach Portugal so unless the EPO are willing to spend huge on him it wont happen. I am surprised that they are going after him unless he is willing to take a huge discount. I think they will likely go for one of the guys I listed. I heard on Greek radio that Donis would take the job for even less than that amount as they said Donis has already done pretty well financially. 

• Like it 1

On 12/1/2021 at 1:49 AM, J1078 said:

That's what concerns me. With Portugal he had some great attackers and played more defensive but a team like Portugal who can capitalize on a few chance's can make them successful but with Greece our shots on target to goal ratio is very bad so playing defensive and only creating a couple chances a game will make it difficult for us. Obviously results are the most important thing at the end of the day but i don't want to go back to watching Greece line up heavy in the back and just protect the net until they get one or two chances a game to counter. Santos style was successful with the players he had for us at that time but i cant see that style being successful with this generation of players.

Guys it's this kind of attitude that got us into this situation in the first place. We all thought we should play more attacking/had better players etc and wanted Santos gone so the NT could blossom. Look what happened!

Maybe Santos and Otto they understand Greek football and our talent levels better than anyone (including us). Maybe that's why they are such successful coaches.