Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

12 hours ago, Greek Style said:

As for JVS good riddance!

Hopefully we can secure a decent coach to build this youngish side.

The EPO have to get it right with this hire, ever since Santos left they have failed with all these coaching hires. Greece have good talent to draw from just don't try and build the team around Bakasetas as JVS tried to do. Start from the back with Vlachodimos, Mavropanos, Tsimikas and hopefully the new coach will bring back Manolas who can still play at a high level and bring that experience to the team.

4 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Score 4 on Spain sure keep dreaming!

They would destroy Georgia Kosovo Moldova and Slovenia also. I will say that with confidence. In fact, why don’t we make a little wager. No money. Just a friendly banter wager. I’ll bet you Canada gets to the knockout phases in the World Cup. If I win, you leave this board for a year. If I lose, I’ll leave this board for a year. Great friendly little wager. 

• Like it 2

54 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

They would destroy Georgia Kosovo Moldova and Slovenia also. I will say that with confidence. In fact, why don’t we make a little wager. No money. Just a friendly banter wager. I’ll bet you Canada gets to the knockout phases in the World Cup. If I win, you leave this board for a year. If I lose, I’ll leave this board for a year. Great friendly little wager. 

Your a big Canaduh fan i see..

4 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Your a big Canaduh fan i see..

Well yes I live here. I will root for Greece and Canada any time. Just like the Australians on this board will root for Australia. No harm in that. So are we on or what 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

Get to the Wcup 1st I will bet $. U will just go to one of your alias names should you lose that bet. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Ellada2004 said:

Get to the Wcup 1st I will bet $. U will just go to one of your alias names should you lose that bet. 

Just now, Ellada2004 said:

Dude I’m 49 years old. I don’t have time or energy to make fake accounts. I have this one and that’s it. 

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Ela re it's soccer not ice hockey! 🤣

9 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

The EPO have to get it right with this hire, ever since Santos left they have failed with all these coaching hires. Greece have good talent to draw from just don't try and build the team around Bakasetas as JVS tried to do. Start from the back with Vlachodimos, Mavropanos, Tsimikas and hopefully the new coach will bring back Manolas who can still play at a high level and bring that experience to the team.

It's like my team in the AFL, Carlton. We sacked the last decent coach we had and since then we've been through five of them with no success. Sixth time lucky?

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, Greek Style said:

Have you actually seen their forward line lately and watched them play? I’m not saying they are better than Greece. But their top 2 players David and Davies are better than anyone on both teams. 

• Like it 1

18 hours ago, Greek Style said:

LOL...Lets see Canada play a top European nation like Greece did when they beat world cup and Euro title holder France, Czech Republic, Spain and Portugal 2x in there own country. They would get mauled from start to finish. Last year they needed to up their ranking to try and go directly into the "hex" so they played a friendly vs Iceland's almost C team and of course they lost. They cant compete with the the big boys of world football like Greece can and has done. So many decades in CONCACAF with nothing to show, just pitiful. Anyways on to the Ethniki..

• Like it 1

EPO president was on OPEN TV and stated he would like to have a foreign coach and that he would like Santos back. Of course for Santos he will have to wait until March to see if Portugal qualify or miss out on the World Cup.

Anyone hear any other names recently added to EPO wish list?

14 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Have you actually seen their forward line lately and watched them play? I’m not saying they are better than Greece. But their top 2 players David and Davies are better than anyone on both teams. 

Was just being funny mate but yes every country has a golden era at some stage. I remember the US were unlucky to lose to Belgium in the knock outs back in 2014. I'm sure Canada's time is coming.

• Like it 2

9 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

LOL...Lets see Canada play a top European nation like Greece did when they beat world cup and Euro title holder France, Czech Republic, Spain and Portugal 2x in there own country. They would get mauled from start to finish. Last year they needed to up their ranking to try and go directly into the "hex" so they played a friendly vs Iceland's almost C team and of course they lost. They cant compete with the the big boys of world football like Greece can and has done. So many decades in CONCACAF with nothing to show, just pitiful. Anyways on to the Ethniki..

Lmao. They actually won a gold cup in 99. Beating USA Mexico and Colombia. And like I said you’re talking 2004. That was almost 20 years ago. Of course they would’ve got mauled. I’m talking today. No one talks about Australia beating Vanuatu Maldives and Fiji to get to the World Cup before. But hey whatever fits your racist narrative as always. You’re the same racist prick through the internet. But like I said not your fault. It’s the idiot moderators who let you spew racist s%$#!. 

• Like it 1

11 hours ago, Greek Style said:

Oh mate that would be massive coup if we got Santos back! 🙏

I'm torn on this one, I was a big fan of Santos when he was with the NT but we all know he will implement a less attacking and more sit back and try to counter system. I think Greece need to find a couch that still preaches attacking football. With the young guys like Douvikas, Tzolis, Masouras and when healthy Fortounis back those guys are not meant to sit back i still think we need a couch with a good attacking mindset. 

• Like it 2

3 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Lmao. They actually won a gold cup in 99. Beating USA Mexico and Colombia. And like I said you’re talking 2004. That was almost 20 years ago. Of course they would’ve got mauled. I’m talking today. No one talks about Australia beating Vanuatu Maldives and Fiji to get to the World Cup before. But hey whatever fits your racist narrative as always. You’re the same racist prick through the internet. But like I said not your fault. It’s the idiot moderators who let you spew racist s%$#!. 

Dude am i missing something he didn't say anything that was racist at all. That's a pretty big accusation.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

Santos got results but his soccer left alot to be desired, the things my Portuguese friends are saying about him is what I remember about him when we had him...

That's what concerns me. With Portugal he had some great attackers and played more defensive but a team like Portugal who can capitalize on a few chance's can make them successful but with Greece our shots on target to goal ratio is very bad so playing defensive and only creating a couple chances a game will make it difficult for us. Obviously results are the most important thing at the end of the day but i don't want to go back to watching Greece line up heavy in the back and just protect the net until they get one or two chances a game to counter. Santos style was successful with the players he had for us at that time but i cant see that style being successful with this generation of players.

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Who you calling racist?? Why say something like that. Your not all there man

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

That's what concerns me. With Portugal he had some great attackers and played more defensive but a team like Portugal who can capitalize on a few chance's can make them successful but with Greece our shots on target to goal ratio is very bad so playing defensive and only creating a couple chances a game will make it difficult for us. Obviously results are the most important thing at the end of the day but i don't want to go back to watching Greece line up heavy in the back and just protect the net until they get one or two chances a game to counter. Santos style was successful with the players he had for us at that time but i cant see that style being successful with this generation of players.

True we don’t get enough attempts on target. With JVS the “total football”coach or so we thought we were getting especially early on we only managed as many shots on target as Andorra during qualifying. Add to that the silly goals we conceded in qualifying with JVS, we never saw Greece give up those goals with Santos. If Greece were up vs the minnows or Croatia & Russia’s  of the world we put the matches away. 
One thing we know is if EPO give him the job he will run the Ethniki his way. 

• Like it 1

Santos would be the perfect coach for the NT, because of the style of football that his teams play. And this is the only style that our NT can play. Solid defense and stealing the games with counter attack. We just don't have the talent to play offensive style games.

The only problem is that Santos will probably not accept the Greek NT job. I would say that it is more likely for him to end up coaching PAOK or AEK instead of the national team.

Acting EPO president is correct stating that the new coach will be a foreign based one, but I think they will have a hard time finding somebody good. Just today there was a report that Gatuzzo might be an option. I hope that's just a rumor.