Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

3 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

An interesting comment from Chatzidiakos in the pre-match press conference about the difference in philosophies between Poyet and JVS. Essientially he said JVS wanted possession, while Poyet places an emphasis on grabbing a goal. Not surprising considering JVS is from the Dutch school of football where possession is everything. 

The truth is no matter how bad we want to be side that dominates the ball, it's hard to turn professionals into that. What I mean is that the change needs to be done at a lower level and passed on to kids who are currently 12-16. It needs to become a style that kids grow up playing, not one they learn when they are 24 and have been professional footballers for 6 years already. 

Poyet's style of grabbing a goal probably suits the NT currently and fits more with the current Greek footballing landscape. So we may see more success with him at the helm with this current crop of players. It's just an interesting comparison and does raise the question of footballing philosophy.

The quote in full: 

Για το τι έχει αλλάξει με τον Πογέτ:  Πογέτ προσπαθεί να μας δώσει το winning mentality. Αυτό έχει αλλάξει περισσότερο. Με τον Φαν Σιπ παίζαμε περισσότερο με κατοχή, τώρα παίζουμε για να βάλουμε γκολ και όχι να κρατήσουμε την μπάλα".

I completely agree and its kind of refreshing to hear.. Its more of a style the NT has always been accustomed to playing. There's no point to just keep possession if all the team is doing is back passing majority of the game which we seen a lot in the later days of JVS and lots of times the team just looked uncomfortable and confused at times. I don't wont to get my hopes up as we've seen what's happened in the past but I'm feeling optimistic so far..

• Like it 4

• 6 months later...

JVS? Someone might wanna tell Poyet that he's been replaced by the guy who he replaced. 

In all seriousness though would be extremely dumb to change coaches now, Poyet did a great job in getting the team to top the Nations League group.

We are in a tough qualifying group for Euro 2024 but changing manager doesn't magically make France or the Netherlands more beatable. Poyet has earned the right to see qualification through, including the playoffs. 

• Like it 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, paokarag4 said:

JVS? Someone might wanna tell Poyet that he's been replaced by the guy who he replaced. 

In all seriousness though would be extremely dumb to change coaches now, Poyet did a great job in getting the team to top the Nations League group.

We are in a tough qualifying group for Euro 2024 but changing manager doesn't magically make France or the Netherlands more beatable. Poyet has earned the right to see qualification through, including the playoffs. 

I heard that a Portuguese reporter said EPO want Santos but Poyet  contract runs until end of 2023. Poyet has the team playing well & got us promotion in NL and a playoff spot. He should continue through the euro qualification. Plus they can’t afford to pay both coaches.

Santos was great for us but we cant go backwards now. Poyet deserves a chance to see what he can do. Plus there are no guarantees that Santos will magically make our team better as he doesn't have the same personalities and players he had when he was coaching this team. The make up of this team is very different he cant play his shut down style and grind out 1-0 wins with this current group we have IMO.

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, J1078 said:

Santos was great for us but we cant go backwards now. Poyet deserves a chance to see what he can do. Plus there are no guarantees that Santos will magically make our team better as he doesn't have the same personalities and players he had when he was coaching this team. The make up of this team is very different he cant play his shut down style and grind out 1-0 wins with this current group we have IMO.

Agreed, but those were great times with Santos his record with the Ethniki was incredible. I miss the 1 nil wins and once we got up a goal it was almost impossible for the opposition to comeback on Greece.

• Like it 1

• 10 months later...

Read somewhere that Poyet is contemplating leaving the post after the nations league as he is out of contract. He said that he would entertain the Irish position as he loved their fans. Rumor has it this is a negotiating ploy as he wants an extension ASAP.  Apparently the Irish fans liked him as they think he was the only reason Greece was able to beat us, on talent, they believe we are on the same level.

• Like it 1

On 11/3/2023 at 9:24 AM, Brklyngrk said:

Read somewhere that Poyet is contemplating leaving the post after the nations league as he is out of contract. He said that he would entertain the Irish position as he loved their fans. Rumor has it this is a negotiating ploy as he wants an extension ASAP.  Apparently the Irish fans liked him as they think he was the only reason Greece was able to beat us, on talent, they believe we are on the same level.

Really Poyet said that? Lol what talent was in that Ireland squad I did not see them barely threaten us after the first few minutes of that match. 

On 11/3/2023 at 8:48 PM, paokarag4 said:

It no doubt is, if we come through the play-offs there is no way he would turn down an extension and the chance to lead us to the Euros. If we don't qualify he may leave, but zero chance if we clinch qualification in March. 

Poyet would be wise to work things out with Fortounis and bring him back for the playoffs. Also Douvikas better get the call up and leave Pavlidis out. If he does this we should have no real problem qualifying for the Euros. 

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

Not sure if it's him negotiating but it's annoying - almost sound that EPO should be kissing his....

EPO need to resolve this soon. Players don’t need any distractions and all the focus has to be on winning these two matches! 

• Like it 3

• 4 months later...

Boys just count how many coaches we’ve had since our last tournament we made. Not one of those coaches could figure it out? I’m all for getting a new coach I just don’t see it making a difference. At this point how can we seriously think we are only a good coach away from making a tournament. I don’t buy it anymore.. Maybe I’m just still super pissed from yesterday but all the good we did under Poyet means nothing now I feel like we are back square one.. No idea what the answer is at this point.. So frustrating..

• Like it 2

We are at square one again since we didn't qualify for the Euros....no sense in tearing down everything that has happened though. If Poyet stays or goes it won't make a difference without a change in the National teams philosophy. Although very different style coaches, Poyet's and Van T'Schipp's downfall were due to not having a plan b when things didn't go as planned. We can't magically come up with a group of players who will be able to qualify for tournaments due to skill and talent so we need to have someone (or even more so a team) who can work with what we got and take action when necessary without allowing any outside interference. No need for diplomacy or maintaining good ties with the press or player managers....just an old school coach who only cares about results and doesn't hold allegiances to anyone other than the Ethniki.

12 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

So who would the new coach be?

I’m hearing Jovanovich, Garcia & Sampoli in the conversation. The last two should be no where near the Ethniki. Jovanovich could work to build something from near scratch as he did at PAO.  He speaks Greek and knows Greek football well. I would prefer a Greek coach. I wanted Donis prior to Poyet being hired but I do not think he’s interested. Anyways it’s hard to think about that now with our Euro qualification down the drain.