Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

Looks Like Poyet wants Monals, Siovas and Socrates part of the team. whether he chooses to call them up for the friendly remains to be seen but he definitely wants them part of the nations League and Euro..

Εθνική Ελλάδος: Θετικό το κλίμα για Μανωλά, Παπασταθόπουλο και Σιόβα (sport24.gr)

• Like it 1

11 hours ago, J1078 said:

Looks Like Poyet wants Monals, Siovas and Socrates part of the team. whether he chooses to call them up for the friendly remains to be seen but he definitely wants them part of the nations League and Euro..

Εθνική Ελλάδος: Θετικό το κλίμα για Μανωλά, Παπασταθόπουλο και Σιόβα (sport24.gr)

I’m happy they are coming back, I hope we start fresh now and that every player will be looked at, even players that haven’t been on the radar for a while like Fetfa and Ninis. It won’t to give everyone a chance to see what they got. 

I know by mentioning those 2 players some people won’t like it haha. If you have quality at any age you should be considered in the team. Those 3 CBs are in there 30s now but they all still have quality so they should be involved.

Ninis 31, Fetfa 31, Siovas 33, Sok 33, Manolas 30, all thirty or over. Some might not be the best option for the Ethniki but as long as they are all looked at, and given the same opportunity to make the Ethniki.

• Like it 2

3 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Ninis 31, Fetfa 31, Siovas 33, Sok 33, Manolas 30, all thirty or over. Some might not be the best option for the Ethniki but as long as they are all looked at, and given the same opportunity to make the Ethniki.

I agree 100%. These should be the guys that should lead the next generation. I believe these are the only experienced players that should be in the team. 

• Like it 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:58 AM, Dean97 said:

I agree 100%. These should be the guys that should lead the next generation. I believe these are the only experienced players that should be in the team. 

What is this, 2014? Do you really think that Ninis and Fetfazidis should be anywhere near our national team? Ninis hasn't played for the national team in 7 years. In that time span he has had 5 goals. And you want Fetfazidis as a leader? To lead what exactly? A gas station? Dude has been a major bust for "the Greek Messi". 

People want change for the team. Yet always call on the old guard. I am fine with Siovas and Manolas. I wouldn't have Sokrates either in the NT, he's honestly around 10th in Greek CB's depth chart. Show me any serious national team that calls up has-beens. Let's see if Charisteas has any legs under him either, or Samaras to help score some goals!

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, PaokCT said:

What is this, 2014? Do you really think that Ninis and Fetfazidis should be anywhere near our national team? Ninis hasn't played for the national team in 7 years. In that time span he has had 5 goals. And you want Fetfazidis as a leader? To lead what exactly? A gas station? Dude has been a major bust for "the Greek Messi". 

People want change for the team. Yet always call on the old guard. I am fine with Siovas and Manolas. I wouldn't have Sokrates either in the NT, he's honestly around 10th in Greek CB's depth chart. Show me any serious national team that calls up has-beens. Let's see if Charisteas has any legs under him either, or Samaras to help score some goals!

Why not give them a chance and see what they got. What have Bakasetas, Mantalos etc, done for Greece. We haven’t made a tournament with them playing. Those 5 specific players I mentioned took us to major tournaments. 

If Mavrias could make this squad being a bench player in Cyprus then why not give Ninis and Fetfa another chance. They are also playing every week. I’m all for playing the young guys but when you have players like Kourbelis and Bakasetas in the side that can’t create chances then why not give Ninis and Fetfa another chance who are known to create chances and also have the skill too. They still have something to offer. 

Your acting like we have players better than them and we actually don’t. Give me a real reason why these players shouldn’t play in the team and why Bakasetas, Kourbelis etc should? 

• Like it 3

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Why not give them a chance and see what they got. What have Bakasetas, Mantalos etc, done for Greece. We haven’t made a tournament with them playing. Those 5 specific players I mentioned took us to major tournaments. 

If Mavrias could make this squad being a bench player in Cyprus then why not give Ninis and Fetfa another chance. They are also playing every week. I’m all for playing the young guys but when you have players like Kourbelis and Bakasetas in the side that can’t create chances then why not give Ninis and Fetfa another chance who are known to create chances and also have the skill too. They still have something to offer. 

Your acting like we have players better than them and we actually don’t. Give me a real reason why these players shouldn’t play in the team and why Bakasetas, Kourbelis etc should? 

I get that it's your opinion. So I am not going to get worked up, as everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I just wanted to double check. You are saying that:

1. Not only should Ninis and Fetfazidis be on the squad but they should be playing for the national team?

2. Ninis and Fetfazidis are better than Bakasetas, Mantalos, and Kourbelis? Bakasetas is one of the best Greek players in Europe right now. And is linked to many strong teams this summer. He has been the captain for Greece under multiple managers too. Kourbelis also plays a different position and style than Ninis and Fetfa.

3. You say in your last paragraph that No Greek is better than Ninis or Fetfa. I can list 33 attacking players who are currently better in skill and form than Ninis or Fetfazidis.

• Like it 1

The truth is that Ninis and Fefta are not the solution.  We saw potential in them that went unfulfilled.  The national team's job is not to develop players but to make them into a team.  If Ninis (who is not considered a star in the Greek league right now) and Fefta (playing in the middle east - when he was in the Super league, he was considered a good player but not a star) are not lighting it up for their clubs, what makes you think they can star for the Ethniki?

Good they help? Maybe.  Are they game changers - No.

But like PaokCT  said, these are opinions...

Edited by Brklyngrk
  • Like it 1

18 hours ago, PaokCT said:

I get that it's your opinion. So I am not going to get worked up, as everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I just wanted to double check. You are saying that:

1. Not only should Ninis and Fetfazidis be on the squad but they should be playing for the national team?

2. Ninis and Fetfazidis are better than Bakasetas, Mantalos, and Kourbelis? Bakasetas is one of the best Greek players in Europe right now. And is linked to many strong teams this summer. He has been the captain for Greece under multiple managers too. Kourbelis also plays a different position and style than Ninis and Fetfa.

3. You say in your last paragraph that No Greek is better than Ninis or Fetfa. I can list 33 attacking players who are currently better in skill and form than Ninis or Fetfazidis.

You say Bakasetas is the best Greek player in Europe based on what exactly lol?? If anyone’s the most inform and that’s Greek it’s either Vlachodimos or Mavropanos. Mavropanos is having a great season in Germany and Vlachodimos is doing well in the champions league. What is Bakasetas doing? He’s inconsistent in the Turkish league… He’s been for the most part awful for Greece anyways. 

He was only captain under JVS and no one else. JVS even preferred Stafylidis captain but he got injured, so Bakasetas got it. 

You say there are 33 players better than Fetfa and Ninis but can’t even come up with 1 player better and back it up. You still haven’t given me a reason why Bakasetas and the others should play instead. 

Ninis has been playing as a CM for Volos for a while but only recently has started playing CAM again. We haven’t got a CM that is creative from deep in the midfield. Kourbelis, Zeca and Bouchalakis aren’t creative.

Why is it so controversial when someone mentions Fetfa or Ninis on here…

• Like it 1

Bakasetas 30 appearances in Europe and Turkish League, 8 goals and 8 assists for the runaway league leaders (they are 15 points clear at the top) 

Ninis 20 appearances in league and cup for 1 goal and 2 assists. Playing for Volos who aren't a top 6 team in Greece and comfortably missed qualifying for the playoffs. 

So statistically there is no contest. Bakasetas turned down a move to a top 4 Portuguese team in January (Sporting Lisbon) Ninis isn't a locked in starter for a mid-table team, so no offer to a bigger league/club is on the cards. 

So maybe that's what he's basing it on....

Either all of the footballing landscape in Europe has no idea or maybe you are slightly off the mark with Ninis. 

Honestly this is so exhausting, you fail to give any evidence as to why Ninis is better but challenge people to do the same. Tell me why Ninis is deserving of a call-up? Do you actually watch him play? Or do you watch highlights of him when he was decent and think he must be the same player? Does his stats back it up? 

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, Dean97 said:

You say Bakasetas is the best Greek player in Europe based on what exactly lol?? If anyone’s the most inform and that’s Greek it’s either Vlachodimos or Mavropanos. Mavropanos is having a great season in Germany and Vlachodimos is doing well in the champions league. What is Bakasetas doing? He’s inconsistent in the Turkish league… He’s been for the most part awful for Greece anyways. 

He was only captain under JVS and no one else. JVS even preferred Stafylidis captain but he got injured, so Bakasetas got it. 

You say there are 33 players better than Fetfa and Ninis but can’t even come up with 1 player better and back it up. You still haven’t given me a reason why Bakasetas and the others should play instead. 

Ninis has been playing as a CM for Volos for a while but only recently has started playing CAM again. We haven’t got a CM that is creative from deep in the midfield. Kourbelis, Zeca and Bouchalakis aren’t creative.

Why is it so controversial when someone mentions Fetfa or Ninis on here…

Yes those players you mentioned are also in great form, however, they do not play the same position as Ninis and Fetfa. So I didn't see a need to bring them up in discussion because the little midget troll Fetfazidis would never play CB.

I don't think its controversial at all. I just think most people wouldn't consider them NT players. Most people have moved on from them so when we see their names brought up again its puzzling. Especially if someone considers them the best options Greece have. Let's face it, we don't have the skill of any top 40 ranked team in the world attacking wise. Upon review, you're right. I couldn't find 33 better players in their positions, however, I did find 16 players I'd rather have on the NT than the has-beens that were mentioned earlier. Remember, I am basing this off of position 

1. Bakasetas
2. Masouras
3. Tzolis
4. Limnios
5. Pelkas
6. Mantalos
7. Vrousai
8. Fortounis
9. Galanopolous
10. Zeca
11. Tsiggaras
12. Bouchalakis
13. Vasiliadis
14. Chatzigiovanis
15. Koutsoupias
16. Lamprou

Obviously, this list is fluid based on injury situation, etc... 

• Like it 1

I’ve watched every Greece game and I know what I’m seeing. If you think Bakasetas is the answer for Greece then I wonder if you want the best for the national team… If you can’t connect your good club form to the national team then I don’t want them in the team, it’s simple. Bakasetas might do well in Turkey but most of his games for Greece haven’t been good enough for me. 

I’ve seen Ninis play for Volos and he still shows glimpses of the player he is known to be. Excellent passing and vision and reads the game well. Just like how Kyriakos Papadopoulos shows glimpses of brilliance when he played for the national team. 

Fetfatzidis came on for 5 minutes against Bosnia last year and made Greece win by making there defender score an own goal in the last few minutes. During that time he was doing very well for Aris and was never chosen after the Bosnia game. 

Again I watch every game the national team plays and I know what works and what doesn’t work. This team has a lot of determination and drive but lacks quality and talent in crucial positions the team needs. Especially in the midfield. 

Fetfa and Ninis have done a lot better for the national team in the past yet some people don’t acknowledge that and don’t look at that as something that should be brought back. Why not try them again and see what they can do?

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

I agree - Bakasetas is not the answer for the ethniki but he has done well this year.  He is one of the top rated players in Turkey.  That is a fact.  I do like Ninis and Fefta but they really have not excelled.  They have talent but do they warrant a spot?? I'm not sure.  Same goes for Kyriakos.  All the talent in the world but does he warrant a spot? I am not against them but if we are going by form (which is what we all have said) then they do not warrant to be on the team.

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

I’ve watched every Greece game and I know what I’m seeing. If you think Bakasetas is the answer for Greece then I wonder if you want the best for the national team… If you can’t connect your good club form to the national team then I don’t want them in the team, it’s simple. Bakasetas might do well in Turkey but most of his games for Greece haven’t been good enough for me. 

I’ve seen Ninis play for Volos and he still shows glimpses of the player he is known to be. Excellent passing and vision and reads the game well. Just like how Kyriakos Papadopoulos shows glimpses of brilliance when he played for the national team. 

Fetfatzidis came on for 5 minutes against Bosnia last year and made Greece win by making there defender score an own goal in the last few minutes. During that time he was doing very well for Aris and was never chosen after the Bosnia game. 

Again I watch every game the national team plays and I know what works and what doesn’t work. This team has a lot of determination and drive but lacks quality and talent in crucial positions the team needs. Especially in the midfield. 

Fetfa and Ninis have done a lot better for the national team in the past yet some people don’t acknowledge that and don’t look at that as something that should be brought back. Why not try them again and see what they can do?

With all due respect, just because you watch all the games, doesn’t mean you really know what works. If that was the case, then anyone off the street can be a coach at anytime. 

• Like it 3

11 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

With all due respect, just because you watch all the games, doesn’t mean you really know what works. If that was the case, then anyone off the street can be a coach at anytime. 

If that were the case i'd be the greatest manager in the world due to my Football Manager acumen and records 🤣

• Like it 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, J1078 said:

Manolas will be in the plans for the NL and then for the Euros no doubt. For these friendlies why did he call up Staf? Rest of the selections are decent. I want to see Alexandropoulos get lots of minutes.

46 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Manolas will be in the plans for the NL and then for the Euros no doubt. For these friendlies why did he call up Staf? Rest of the selections are decent. I want to see Alexandropoulos get lots of minutes.

Staf made no sense to me either. It would have been nice to see Manolas and Siovas even in the friendlies though so they can have a few games to build some chemistry with the team. I do like how Poyet said in the press conference he needs to have his core starters that start all the time and then they can sub out a few players here and there. From the list of players the midfield still looks to still be a very big problem for us but that's obviously not on Poyet but rather the lack of talent we have in that position.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

An interesting comment from Chatzidiakos in the pre-match press conference about the difference in philosophies between Poyet and JVS. Essientially he said JVS wanted possession, while Poyet places an emphasis on grabbing a goal. Not surprising considering JVS is from the Dutch school of football where possession is everything. 

The truth is no matter how bad we want to be side that dominates the ball, it's hard to turn professionals into that. What I mean is that the change needs to be done at a lower level and passed on to kids who are currently 12-16. It needs to become a style that kids grow up playing, not one they learn when they are 24 and have been professional footballers for 6 years already. 

Poyet's style of grabbing a goal probably suits the NT currently and fits more with the current Greek footballing landscape. So we may see more success with him at the helm with this current crop of players. It's just an interesting comparison and does raise the question of footballing philosophy.

The quote in full: 

Για το τι έχει αλλάξει με τον Πογέτ:  Πογέτ προσπαθεί να μας δώσει το winning mentality. Αυτό έχει αλλάξει περισσότερο. Με τον Φαν Σιπ παίζαμε περισσότερο με κατοχή, τώρα παίζουμε για να βάλουμε γκολ και όχι να κρατήσουμε την μπάλα".

• Like it 4