Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

Nah. I don’t believe that. Sometimes you have to look at the players and go up and down the list. Yes there are a few good ones. But there is no one on the team who you can say is a game changer. This team has a lot of heart and work ethic, but talent isn’t there. There is no one on the team that would scare me if I were an opposing player or coach. 

On 2/7/2022 at 12:14 AM, Jimmyp said:

Nah. I don’t believe that. Sometimes you have to look at the players and go up and down the list. Yes there are a few good ones. But there is no one on the team who you can say is a game changer. This team has a lot of heart and work ethic, but talent isn’t there. There is no one on the team that would scare me if I were an opposing player or coach. 

I believe we have good players but most of the current players that JVS selected when he was in charge were not starting 11 material. If you have a handful of players that shouldn’t be anywhere near the 11 then your not going to succeed. On top of that there was no plan or philosophy in place. 

The determination and heart was there but the plan and tactics wasn’t. It all comes down to coaching. You need a coach who realises his mistakes or which players shouldn’t be there and correct it when necessary. Playing Bakasetas all the time cost us in my opinion. Some people would agree with that and some wouldn’t. In modern football you can’t afford to have 1 weak player. We’ve had at least 3 in the 11. 

I’ve said in the past Greece hasn’t got players of top quality like Spain or Italy but if you want to succeed I believe you need to pick players that have speed and skill and take it from there. We’ve always had slow midfielders since 2004.

We’ve always had questionable call ups too. Also why would you play 2 DMs against teams like Armenia and Lichtenstein? Maybe it’s time put someone like Mantalos who has lost his speed but still fast enough in a more deeper role in midfield. It might help us transition better in attack. Also Alexandropoulos who is a natural box to box player who can carry the ball well and is fast. 

We also need to give the banned players another chance. We need as much as possible. Also playing players in there correct positions will be a good start. If I was coach I would sort out the midfield and RB spot immediately. 

• Like it 1

12 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I believe we have good players but most of the current players that JVS selected when he was in charge were not starting 11 material. If you have a handful of players that shouldn’t be anywhere near the 11 then your not going to succeed. On top of that there was no plan or philosophy in place. 

The determination and heart was there but the plan and tactics wasn’t. It all comes down to coaching. You need a coach who realises his mistakes or which players shouldn’t be there and correct it when necessary. Playing Bakasetas all the time cost us in my opinion. Some people would agree with that and some wouldn’t. In modern football you can’t afford to have 1 weak player. We’ve had at least 3 in the 11. 

I’ve said in the past Greece hasn’t got players of top quality like Spain or Italy but if you want to succeed I believe you need to pick players that have speed and skill and take it from there. We’ve always had slow midfielders since 2004.

We’ve always had questionable call ups too. Also why would you play 2 DMs against teams like Armenia and Lichtenstein? Maybe it’s time put someone like Mantalos who has lost his speed but still fast enough in a more deeper role in midfield. It might help us transition better in attack. Also Alexandropoulos who is a natural box to box player who can carry the ball well and is fast. 

We also need to give the banned players another chance. We need as much as possible. Also playing players in there correct positions will be a good start. If I was coach I would sort out the midfield and RB spot immediately. 

Greece do not have the top quality players of a Spain, Italy or France but we have just as much talent as most of the teams that are in the Wcup playoffs like Austria, Scotland and Wales for example. JVS screwed us out of a playoff spot with his questionable lineups and exclusion of key players like Manolas, Sokratis and Siovas (which made absolutely no sense). 

We would have had a decent chance if we landed in Path A or B with the teams I mentioned above and against the Czechs, Russia, and Poland. JVS could not manage a win vs Kosovo for that alone he had to go and looking back I wish EPO would have cut ties with him after the Nations League. 

• Like it 1

Jimbos country finally beat the powerhouse nation El Salvador 😂 Greece have won a Euro 🏆 and beaten the top countries of world football. France Spain, Portugal OPA!! Back to the team Canada or Skopian boards Jimbo.

Hey loser. I’m from Sparti. Actually they won a gold cup. They meat Mexico USA two teams Greece haven’t beaten and Colombia. You know the team that thrashed Greece. Euro was 20 years ago. Get over it bud. Stop living in the past. Now how about that bet. Knock out rounds. If they do you leave your bigoted ass for a year. If they don’t. I’ll leave for a year. And don’t ever call me a Skope again you F***in piece of s%$#!. 

Nah. I gave you all the info you need. Up to you. You’re up. Not me. Anyway I’m not arguing about this anymore. It’s done. Greece isn’t in I vote for Canada. Just like the Australians vote for Australia and so on. Doesn’t make me a bad person bro. But if you think it does you’re welcome to ignore my comments and not spew out any of your own. Have an awesome day. Go Steelers. 

Whatever “Jimmy” l. I love my homeland and I am gutted when Greece don’t qualify for the World Cup or Euros as you see in my posts. Even when they lose a friendly match it pisses me off. You and guys like To Blue come on here and laugh when Greece fail to qualify.Your a “true”Greek all leave it at that. Mono 🇬🇷 

• Like it 1

Back to Poyet....I'm always hopeful when a new skipper takes over that he will be able to make the right selections and get the best out of his players but a lot has to do with the advice he gets from those around him (and if takes that advice). Can anyone verify if Tsanas is Technical Director of the NT? He seems to be a constant in the equation of mediocrity that is the Greek NT post-Santos. Others get sacked while he seems to gets promoted.

• Like it 1

Pretty sure I’ve been watching a lot longer than you. Trust me I’m not happy about it either, but it’s sports. Not life. Sports. Entertainment. There are a lot of bigger things to be pissed off about in this world. Sports is the least of them. And, it’s I’ll, not all. Lol. Have an awesome night 

Edited by Jimmyp

9 hours ago, DiogenesLight said:

… Can anyone verify if Tsanas is Technical Director of the NT?

Technical Director of the NT is Kostas Konstantinidis. Takis Fyssas is Sporting Director.

According to Wiki, Tsanas is the current technical director of EPO.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 2

When is Poyet going to do a press conference? I'm curios to hear what he says..  Also when a new coach usually comes in he my start his first couple games with a very similar line up that the previous coach had so he can evaluate each player unless he's familiar with Greek soccer and the players...

• Like it 1

10 hours ago, J1078 said:

When is Poyet going to do a press conference? I'm curios to hear what he says..  Also when a new coach usually comes in he my start his first couple games with a very similar line up that the previous coach had so he can evaluate each player unless he's familiar with Greek soccer and the players...

According to sport24.gr Poyet said that he is familiar with the players who played the last 12-14 matches for the NT and he said he wants to put his own touch on the team in regards to selections. Maybe he will give the banned guys a chance and others that we have not seen recently under JVS. 

• Like it 2

Hope the new manager knows to insist on his players passing and husstling forward, alot more than backward. They often hold onto possession and go nowhere and it can be a hard watch.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2

14 hours ago, Omonoia9 said:

Gustavo Poyet, eh? Not our first Uruguayan. Sure hope he does better than the last one.

Let’s hope he’s much better. Sergio lasted as long as Ranieri that Euro campaign. Interested to see the upcoming friendlies.

• Like it 1

On 2/14/2022 at 8:49 AM, J1078 said:

This Friday at 12 will be Poyet's press conference. Want to hear what he will say about the players banned from the Ethniki and his plans for the NT going forward.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:38 AM, J1078 said:

He talks about Manolas, Socrates and Siovas. 

Liked what Poyet said about them, that they are on his list. Also any player in form with quality will be welcomed who wants to give everything for the NT. He said in Siovas case if will be easy to have a conversation with him as he knows him from Leganes. Just bring in our best players playing for their clubs unlike the last bafoon.

• Like it 2