Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

On 1/23/2022 at 11:36 PM, paokarag4 said:

I hope for his sake he recalls Ninis, otherwise he should be sacked on the spot. 

While we are at I'll be ropable if he doesn't call Tsiartas, Zargorakis, Koudas, Domazos and Mavros.

Don't forget about Fetfazidis and the boy wonder, Koutsianakoulis

Translation: The coach of Pogoń Szczecin, Kosta Runjaić, has received a serious offer to lead the Greek national team. Representatives of the Greek federation even appeared in Belek, the work is ongoing since February. The Pogoń coach refused.

Seriously? Where do they find these coaches

According to sport24.gr EPO are to announce the new NT coach this Thursday. There are also two more names in the mix Marcel Koller and Gustavo Poyet. Koller managed Austria and led them to Euro 2016 and Poyet had a short stint at AEK. 

Thoughts on these two coaches?

Ill take Marcel Koller. He has national team experience. Brought Austria as high ranked as #10 in the world. Has had successful qualifying campaigns. And Austria isnt a world power at soccer either, so hopefully he would be able to build something here too

• Like it 3

Yes it looks like he will be the new NT coach. Ex-AEK and almost a PAOK coach.

He was a good coach for AEK. He plays defensive style similar to Santos, which is a good fit for the NT. Time will tell if it is a good choice. I guess for the money EPO is paying we can't be asking for anything better.

Marcel Koller's preferred formation is a 4-2-3-1 which is very defensive in modern football. Poyet's is a 4-3-3.

Looking at Koller's international performances (he has never beaten Greece btw). He qualified for the 2016 Euro Championships and was undefeated in qualifiers (vs Russia, Sweden, Montenegro, Lichenstein, Moldova). These were the results :

Austria - Sweden 1-1

Moldova - Austria 1-2

Austria - Montenegro 1-0

Austria - Russia 1-0

Lichenstein - Austria 0-5

Russia - Austria 0-1

Sweden - Austria 1-4

Montenegro - Austria 2-3

Austria - Lichenstein 3-0

When he got to the Euro's he went 3 games and out losing to Hungary 0-2, Iceland 2-1, and drawing Portugal 1-1.

• Like it 1

Koller did a very good job with Austria during his tenure before he arrived Austria were in rough shape. He had a great Euro 2016 qualification campaign with 9 wins and a draw in a group with Russia and Sweden. I watched them draw Portugal the eventual Euro winners. The loss to Iceland came right at the end of the match as both teams were pushing for a win.

Poyet looks a shoe in for the job I would not mind him or Koller they are better choices than some of the other names we have heard pop up recently.

Poyet is younger so maybe more in touch with todays game, in saying that i don't know much about him at all. Anyone know what style of play he prefers?? Curios to see if he reaches out to Siovas, Manolas and Soctrates. 

• Like it 1

39 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Poyet is younger so maybe more in touch with todays game, in saying that i don't know much about him at all. Anyone know what style of play he prefers?? Curios to see if he reaches out to Siovas, Manolas and Soctrates. 

Poyet employs an attacking 4-3-3. In 27 games he coached with CD Universidad Catolica only 5 did he use another formation. So I assume he will be bringing that w/ him to the national team. A back four w/ 2 8's and a 10. Two wingers then a natural striker.

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Poyet it is. First gig as a NT coach. Has to hit the ground running, because we don't want a 2nd place in League C.

Do we have friendlies in March?

Good luck to Poyet lets hope he starts of well and gets Greece back to the Euros..

Greece play two friendlies in March at Romania and at Montenagro.

• Like it 2

“New Ethniki Omada assistant coach is 37 year old Gerard Nus

The Spaniard is former assistant of previous Ethniki coach John Van't Schip at Melbourne City in 13/14 season. One year before, he was Brighton's academy coach when Gus Poyet was in charge of the first team”

I say that Poyet needs to focus on fixing our attack and bring everyone back to the team. That would be a great start. We need all the talent we can get, we can’t further limit ourselves since our talent pool is already limited. We need everyone available for us to succeed. Nothing has worked the last 10 years, I hope we get it right this time. 

17 hours ago, PaokCT said:

Poyet employs an attacking 4-3-3. In 27 games he coached with CD Universidad Catolica only 5 did he use another formation. So I assume he will be bringing that w/ him to the national team. A back four w/ 2 8's and a 10. Two wingers then a natural striker.

I really hope this happens with us. 

• Like it 2

Poyet 54, he looks like he could still play.

His greatest achievement as a manager was keeping Sunderland up in the Premier League in 2014.  With 6 matches to go they needed to gain +7 pts on their relegation rivals, with matches against Man City, Chelsea and Man U. They stayed up with one game to spare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00KfPB20V_k

He was a top defender, who played in the PL. He knows the game. I think he will instill winner mentality and if results come then the team can grow.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 1

10 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I say that Poyet needs to focus on fixing our attack and bring everyone back to the team. That would be a great start. We need all the talent we can get, we can’t further limit ourselves since our talent pool is already limited. We need everyone available for us to succeed. Nothing has worked the last 10 years, I hope we get it right this time. 

I really hope this happens with us. 

Yes he has to get the best in form players playing in their natural positions. Greece are fighting with the big boys of Europe here. I am confident he won’t have baffling call ups like we saw with JVS. 

9 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Poyet 54, he looks like he could still play.

His greatest achievement as a manager was keeping Sunderland up in the Premier League in 2014.  With 6 matches to go they needed to gain +7 pts on their relegation rivals, with matches against Man City, Chelsea and Man U. They stayed up with one game to spare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00KfPB20V_k

He was a top defender, who played in the PL. He knows the game. I think he will instill winner mentality and if results come then the team can grow.

He was a very fierce competitor. I remember watching him play. Like I said he won’t put up with BS from the players that’s for sure and be a puppet of EPO and take orders on who gets called up and who does not. 

The info coming out is that he’s a defensive coach who grinds out a result. Sort of like Greece 2004-14. That will be interesting, because the philosophy over the last 2 years was to play more attractive, attacking football.

When he was at AEK he was quite impressed with Mantalos and I think in 2016 wanted to sign him at Shanghai Shenhua after leaving AEK. I will be curious to see what he does with the squad, whether he brings back any of Manolas, Soc, Retsos, Fountas or if he stays with the current squad. Also, players such as Fortounis, Galanopoulos, Kourbelis are coming back after long injury. Every new coach usually adds at least one new face.

Next match is a friendly with Romania 26/3.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 2

13 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

The info coming out is that he’s a defensive coach who grinds out a result. Sort of like Greece 2004-14. That will be interesting, because the philosophy over the last 2 years was to play more attractive, attacking football.

When he was at AEK he was quite impressed with Mantalos and I think in 2016 wanted to sign him at Shanghai Shenhua after leaving AEK. I will be curious to see what he does with the squad, whether he brings back any of Manolas, Soc, Retsos, Fountas or if he stays with the current squad. Also, players such as Fortounis, Galanopoulos, Kourbelis are coming back after long injury. Every new coach usually adds at least one new face.

Next match is a friendly with Romania 26/3.

Will see if those guys are given a chance. If they are playing and in good form then they should be given a chance. I highly doubt we will see Poyet pull a JVS and bring up a guy like Mavrias who hardly got any minutes in the Cypriot league and then got thrown out in a vital wcup qualifier like JVS did. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

So this is the next guy that will get blamed if they keep losing? It’ll be the 7th coaches fault in the lasts 6 years? Gotcha. 

It will be if he has done what the other 6 coaches have done in the past which was picking the wrong players, weird tactics/selections, poor 11s, and awful excuses…

We’ve always handicapped ourselves with poor coaching and a federation who doesn’t care about the team. What do you expect when the budget is 500k for a coach? Your not going to get anyone special with that type of money.

I’m willing to give Poyet a chance, as the first team selection will say everything. It doesn’t matter what he has or hasn’t achieved in the past, we were never going to get anyone of the highest caliber. At least Poyet has some sort of name in football and like I said, that first team selection he selects will say a lot. 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1