Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

1 hour ago, PaokCT said:

If we had Lewandowski, we easily qualify for Euro’s and probably the WC. 

As prolific a goal scorer Lewandowski is the farthest Poland have gone with him in a major tournament is quarter finals at Euro 2016 were they lost to Portugal. In 2012 as Euro hosts they failed to get out of the group were Greece and Czechs advanced. In 2014 Poland failed to qualify for the World Cup. At the 2018 World Cup in Russia they were last in there group and the past Euros they did not qualify for the KO round. My point is that Greece in our glory days as EURO champions (love saying that!) did not posses a true world class striker, we had Charisteas who was great with his movement and amazing in the air and lethal in the penalty area. Our strength was from our back line out and our midfield was top notch featuring Karagounis, Katsouranis, Basinas, Zagorakis and Giannakopoulos. A midfield so stacked that the extremely gifted center mid and dangerous set piece taker Tsiartas would mostly come in as a substitute. I believe @Dean97pointed it out that the midfield is our biggest issue as of late we need more creativity and someone to pull the strings. With Fortounis Greece have a play maker and someone with great vision to see the pitch. There are others that could have been called up but were not. Leaving us with Bakasetas as the engine of the midfield that wont cut it over a qualifying campaign and we saw that unfold for the most part these last wcup qualifiers. I would love if we had another Mitroglou like #9 leading the line up top but for the most part he was getting good service from our mids when we qualified for the World Cup.  We have Alexandropoulos ready to play and the last coach decided to not give him any time even in the last game with Kosovo were we looked so sluggish trying to breakdown a weak Kosovo side. Also in the previous game at Kosovo 1-1 a game that Greece should put away with more goals the last coach takes out Douvikas who scores in that game with one chance of a nicely played through ball. Not to mention all the work he was doing of the ball that game. 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Short list of 3-4 from 30. Wow, they actually started with 30. Would be interesting to know who the 3-4 are.  

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ethniki-elladas-etoimazetai-short-list-3-4-proponiton-gia-ton-diadocho-toy-fan-sip.9480098.html

One thing I agree is, that we cannot afford to go backwards, meaning this is an important appointment.

Apparently EPO are looking at three Italian candidates Gattuso, Walter Zenga, and Christian Panucci. 

We have heard of Gattuso being mentioned. Zenga has managed a lot of clubs he was a former goal keeper. Panucci most recently managed Albania and is defensive minded in his philosophy. Any thoughts?

Again they are about the caliber of names you expect to be linked with the Ethniki. Gattuso has probably managed the most impressive teams out of 3, Milan and Napoli. Although his stints at both clubs weren't overly impressive and he left both before the end of his contract.

He is also hot-headed and I'm not sure he'd get along with EPO and all the crap that comes with being a manager in Greece (although he did it at OFI for a short period). This is further evidenced by his short "stint" at Fiorentina earlier this season, where he left 3 weeks after being appointed. 

We aren't getting a manager who is going to inspire confidence name wise. Whoever is appointed the proof will be in the pudding after a few games. The Nations League in June where there are 4 games in 2 weeks will be a good indicator. 

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 2

4 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

Again they are about the caliber of names you expect to be linked with the Ethniki. Gattuso has probably managed the most impressive teams out of 3, Milan and Napoli. Although his stints at both clubs weren't overly impressive and he left both before the end of his contract.

He is also hot-headed and I'm not sure he'd get along with EPO and all the crap that comes with being a manager in Greece (although he did it at OFI for a short period). This is further evidenced by his short "stint" at Fiorentina earlier this season, where he left 3 weeks after being appointed. 

We aren't getting a manager who is going to inspire confidence name wise. Whoever is appointed the proof will be in the pudding after a few games. The Nations League in June where there are 4 games in 2 weeks will be a good indicator. 

EPO wants to get someone hired by end of January. I personally don't think any of these 3 guys will be hired. I have a feeling they will go with Jimenez but as I have stated I think Donis would be the best option for the amount of $ EPO can spend. I hope he changes his mind and takes the job.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:40 PM, Ellada2004 said:

EPO wants to get someone hired by end of January. I personally don't think any of these 3 guys will be hired. I have a feeling they will go with Jimenez but as I have stated I think Donis would be the best option for the amount of $ EPO can spend. I hope he changes his mind and takes the job.

I too can see this hire being totally out of left field. They seem stuck on a defensive minded coach however. Let's just hope he gets some results early or some will be asking for his head after 2 games.

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, PaokCT said:

I too can see this hire being totally out of left field. They seem stuck on a defensive minded coach however. Let's just hope he gets some results early or some will be asking for his head after 2 games.

Yes I can see EPO preferring to bring in a more defensive minded coach. They would love to get Santos back behind the bench of the Ethniki but if not for Portugal being in the wcup playoff. I heard they have been looking into Luigi Di Biagio the great former defensive midfielder for Italy. He was the caretaker manager for Italy in 2018 and then managed SPAL. 

20 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Yes I can see EPO preferring to bring in a more defensive minded coach. They would love to get Santos back behind the bench of the Ethniki but if not for Portugal being in the wcup playoff. I heard they have been looking into Luigi Di Biagio the great former defensive midfielder for Italy. He was the caretaker manager for Italy in 2018 and then managed SPAL. 

I am fine with us getting a defensive minded coach. I don't care what tactics we employ, we just need wins.

• Like it 2

Ange Postecoglou did an interview yesterday with a Greek network and said it would be his dream to take the NT coaching job now. He said he really thinks its the best thing for him that's where his heart is. Not sure the EPO wants him though or is even considering him.

Thoughts??

Edited by J1078

That comment in the Ange interview was in context with when he is done with his club coaching career, not ar this point in time.

One of the Greek hosts said to Ange at the end of the interview that he had it all planned out for Ange and that when he finishes his club commitments to then take over the Ethniki. Ange said it sounded perfect, as courtesy more than anything.

If Ange wins the SPFL that would catapult him right up there in the EPL crowd. Can't see him doing National Team managing anytime soon.

Edited by ausgreek

6 hours ago, ausgreek said:

That comment in the Ange interview was in context with when he is done with his club coaching career, not ar this point in time.

One of the Greek hosts said to Ange at the end of the interview that he had it all planned out for Ange and that when he finishes his club commitments to then take over the Ethniki. Ange said it sounded perfect, as courtesy more than anything.

If Ange wins the SPFL that would catapult him right up there in the EPL crowd. Can't see him doing National Team managing anytime soon.

Ahh okay thanks for clearing it up.

That Donis Manager might be every bit as good as any of those Italian guys like Gattuso. As long as he has the player's respect, and he plays Manolas, Sokratis, Siovas and eventually Fortounis (injured).

22 hours ago, ausgreek said:

That Donis Manager might be every bit as good as any of those Italian guys like Gattuso. As long as he has the player's respect, and he plays Manolas, Sokratis, Siovas and eventually Fortounis (injured).

From the names listed i think i would go with Donis but it seems like they are leaning towards the coach from Azerbaijan which I'm not a fan off. 

• Like it 1

16 hours ago, J1078 said:

From the names listed i think i would go with Donis but it seems like they are leaning towards the coach from Azerbaijan which I'm not a fan off. 

I really wish Donis would take the job if its offered to him. I think he would be able to work really well with the younger players on the team. It seems EPO technical director is keen on hiring one of the Italian coaches mentioned here and Jimenez is also in play.

• Like it 1

Ντούνγκα, Ντε Μπιάτζι, Ντοναντόνι, Ρούναϊτς έχουν προταθεί στην ΕΠΟ, και όχι μόνο ενώ δεν αποκλείεται τις επόμενες μέρες να εξεταστούν και άλλες περιπτώσεις.

This could run into Feb-Mar

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ethniki-elladas-synechizontai-oi-epafes-tis-epo-kataligoyn-ston-eklekto-gia-ton-pagko.9500849.html

6 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Ντούνγκα, Ντε Μπιάτζι, Ντοναντόνι, Ρούναϊτς έχουν προταθεί στην ΕΠΟ, και όχι μόνο ενώ δεν αποκλείεται τις επόμενες μέρες να εξεταστούν και άλλες περιπτώσεις.

This could run into Feb-Mar

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ethniki-elladas-synechizontai-oi-epafes-tis-epo-kataligoyn-ston-eklekto-gia-ton-pagko.9500849.html

Wow EPO are looking at Dunga. He was heavily criticized in Brazil for his tactics after there exit at the quarter finals of the 2010 World Cup.

I think their seems to be a bigger issue here as the EPO do not know what direction they want the team to go and what they want their identity to be. From the names listed since the firing of JVS we’ve heard Defence minded coaches and offensive minded coaches. The EPO can’t just look for whoever is available they need to first find what the identity of the team is and then find a coach that fits there style or else this revolving circle of team failure and firing and rehiring of coaches won’t stop. A coach needs to come in and first see what style suits the team best and only play the best players available in their natural position, we can’t have guys playing in one position for their club teams and then moving them to a different position for the NT and think they will be as affective.. I think we have enough talent if we use our very best to be able to qualify for tournaments but the need to address the midfield will be crucial in my opinion.

• Like it 3

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

I think their seems to be a bigger issue here as the EPO do not know what direction they want the team to go and what they want their identity to be. From the names listed since the firing of JVS we’ve heard Defence minded coaches and offensive minded coaches. The EPO can’t just look for whoever is available they need to first find what the identity of the team is and then find a coach that fits there style or else this revolving circle of team failure and firing and rehiring of coaches won’t stop. A coach needs to come in and first see what style suits the team best and only play the best players available in their natural position, we can’t have guys playing in one position for their club teams and then moving them to a different position for the NT and think they will be as affective.. I think we have enough talent if we use our very best to be able to qualify for tournaments but the need to address the midfield will be crucial in my opinion.

Ya EPO seem to be all over the map with the names being mentioned. Your right they have been interested in a lot of defensive & attacking style coaches. I believe that if Santos were free EPO would hire him immediately as they know what they are getting with him in terms of his success and stability in Greece and at Portugal. Also with some of the names mentioned like Santos and Valverde for example it seems EPO are willing to pay more than 600k per year salary if need be. 

As for our team as you said we have the quality to be qualifying for major tournaments especially for the Euros. The last two we completely screwed up with coaching hires if you look at Ranieri in 2016 & Ange for the 2020 qualification they had us playing catch up with poor results of the start, especially in Ranieri case with us only picking up 1pt in the first four games which rightfully led to him being sacked. JVS to be fair had a tough group to navigate with Spain as one of the best countries in World football and Sweden always at most major tournaments but his stupidity in his callups, his tactics and playing players out of position cost Greece 2nd place. He pissed away 6pts easily vs the bottom two nations in the group. I am willing to wait awhile longer to see EPO get the right hire. We cant afford to get it wrong again with the coach and Greece have to win the NL group and get up in the FIFA rankings so we get the best possible EURO draw & have a possible playoff spot from the NL if needed.

• Like it 4

9 hours ago, J1078 said:

Spot on. You are correct in everything you said. I don’t think the EPO have any footballing knowledge, so Konstantinidis and Fyssas have been given the task of finding a coach. Seems like they are looking for an Italian coach. Just wondering why does it have to be Italian? We have 2 decent free agent managers in Michel and Valverde…

Both Spaniards and would probably help Greece succeed. You can’t really go wrong. But people at the EPO have to know what direction they want to go in. Can’t just pick randoms again. Might aswell pick a Greek than pick a random foreigner who’s hasn’t done much in his career. 

• Like it 2

41 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

I’d like to know who the next coach is that everyone will be blaming on not getting results. 

I hope for his sake he recalls Ninis, otherwise he should be sacked on the spot. 

While we are at I'll be ropable if he doesn't call Tsiartas, Zargorakis, Koudas, Domazos and Mavros.

• Like it 1
  • Haha 1