Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

Both of you guys make great points. @Alphonse for sure JVS initially had a nice attacking style of play and high pressing keeping the opposition on there heels. JVS went away from it in the qualifiers vs Kosovo & Georgia and sat back and played to defend first as if we were playing Spain and of course it ended up costing us 6pts.  As for our midfield Bouchalakis doesn’t have the pace and does not move the ball quick enough. Zeca runs hard and covers a lot of ground defensively but I agree with @Dean97he doesn’t have the vision to play nice through balls. As for Bakasetas we have all said he should not be in the starting eleven. Period.

Going forward Alexandropoulos has to be given a chance to lead the midfield.   Hopefully Fortounis will come back from his injury and be the player he was. Not having him for this campaign really hurt our chances and his absence showed how he is our most skilled & creative midfielder. As for Galanopoulos he put in some good performances & I would not mind seeing him get some game time and even Ninis who still has the ability to create in the attacking third of the pitch. 

• Like it 2

I've said this from the beginning midfield in my opinion is the most important position as it dictates the flow of the game and creates the offence by creating space and feeding balls through and it can also slow down the pace of a game and until we have a very capable midfield duo we will not succeed. We have a very limited ceiling that we can reach. Personally think we have good enough wingers and hoping Douvikas can grow into a decent finisher. But in my opinion it all goes back to the midfield for us. its no surprise we starting losing games when Kara and company retired. We have been speaking about this for the last few years now and we still don't have an answer.

• Like it 2

According to Sportime Greece technical director has been in Germany and he seems keen on hiring a German coach for the Ethniki. A name being proposed is Thorsten Fink he was in consideration for the PAO job before they hired Jovanovic. Any thoughts on him?

• Like it 1

Looking at his CV it isn't overly impressive, he last coached in Japan over a year ago. His career in Europe has been average, to put it kindly. His best stint was at Basel but that was 2009-2011. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a better NT manager or he wouldn't click with the team, just the name doesn't inspire much confidence. 

Unfortunately that is the reality for the Ethniki, these are the types of names we will attract. Journeymen in the coaching world who have never really cut it at club level. Of course money solves this problem to a large extent, but we know the budget isn't enough to attract an accomplished manager. 

• Like it 2

46 minutes ago, J1078 said:

It would be interesting to see Sokratis sit down with the new coach. He wants to speak after years of silence on the NT matter. I would like to see the Ethniki give him a proper send off the guy has been a warrior for the NT and he gave everything when called upon. 

As for Manolas he has to return to the NT and help us top the NL going into Euro qualification. LA LIGA and Bundesliga teams were recently after him and back in 2019 ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal wanted to throw 30 million to acquire him. Its criminal that he was not called up for the World Cup qualifiers. 

• Like it 2

Both players tried to sabotage the national team and because of that have no place on the team. Time to move on. We need to be rebuilding the national team looking to the future and not going back to players that don't have their best intentions.

• Like it 1

Can someone remind me what the actual problem was with Sokratis, Manolas and EPO. All I remember is that Manolas and Sokratis didn’t want Anastasiadis as coach. Did they feel betrayed by the EPO for sacking Skibbe at the time. When have the players called the shots?

My opinion is that for a team like Greece who haven’t got world class and established players they need to do everything they can to have the best players on the field. That means that the coach and EPO have to work with these top players and keep them satisfied. Manolas and Sokratis know that the EPO aren’t running the team properly and they know that the team are not playing and being managed to it’s true potential. That’s what I got from it. 

• Like it 1

I thought that Sok and Manolas called out Anastasiadis for his lack of preparation.  They were annoyed on how he didn't get the team prepared to play against Italy.  They had four weeks to prepare and they hadn't even scouted Italy at all.  In fact, right before game time, he wanted Siovas to play as either a RB or LB (don't remember), a position he had never played before. Siovas had to convince Anastasiadis that he was not comfortable there for lack of experience so he reverted to a back 3 instead, right before gametime. That is my recollection of those two. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

I thought that Sok and Manolas called out Anastasiadis for his lack of preparation.  They were annoyed on how he didn't get the team prepared to play against Italy.  They had four weeks to prepare and they hadn't even scouted Italy at all.  In fact, right before game time, he wanted Siovas to play as either a RB or LB (don't remember), a position he had never played before. Siovas had to convince Anastasiadis that he was not comfortable there for lack of experience so he reverted to a back 3 instead, right before gametime. That is my recollection of those two. 

Yes Sokratis did come out on live air interview post game after the Armenia loss and called out Ange for his lack of preparation and he said that the way the Ethniki was going he could not see them qualifying for Euro 2020. Furthermore he did say changes needed to occur & he said if that even meant him being dropped from the NT for the good of the team moving forward then he would step aside. Now I think he could have approached Ange in private with EPO present or some other way but the guy loves the NT so much and seeing them lose to Armenia in Greece going down 2 nil inside 30mins and losing 3-2 was utterly shocking. The previous game vs Italy which there is no shame in losing but the matter in which they lost that game was troubling. A 3 nil loss were the team looked lost and I remember Fortounis playing as the #9 and some other questionable lineup decisions. Ange aside from a great 2nd half in Bosnia were we came back from 2 down to draw did not have the team ready & prepared to play during his short tenure. He was in charge for the NL loss to Estonia that ultimately ended up costing us a playoff spot. In retrospect it would have been better to just let Skibbe continue on through Euro 2020 qualifying.

Edited by Ellada2004

I believe what triggered everything was that Ang didn’t call up Torosids and that didn’t sit well with Manolas and Socratis and you could see how upset they were and their performances and body language even reflected that. That’s what I think started everything.

• Like it 1

49 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I believe what triggered everything was that Ang didn’t call up Torosids and that didn’t sit well with Manolas and Socratis and you could see how upset they were and their performances and body language even reflected that. That’s what I think started everything.

It’s not their job to dictate who goes and who stays. It’s their job to play. If you don’t wanna play. Bye Felicia. 

• Like it 1

N. Nioplias
https://www.sport24.gr/opinions/o-tsarly/o-nikos-nioplias-chtizei-mia-deyteri-kariera.9469470.html

This guy is my favourite Greek coach at the moment. After taking over last year, record is 8W 11D 2L. Not easy to takeover a relegation threatened club and turn it around. Impressive.

Ps: I don’t think he is an option for the current vacancy. I think Donis is a good bet.

• Like it 1

I used to love Papasthatopoulos but the more I hear from him, the more like a whiny little b1tch he sounds.

Shut up and man up. If you have something to say, say it. Don't send out cryptic messages and other such b.s.

This is your national team we are talking about! Not, some C division minnow.

We may not all like some of the moves JVS made but he stayed behind in Greece after announcing his resignation and toured our beautiful Hellas. I follow him on Instagram and he was sharing pics and videos of his travels in Greece and he was commenting on how beautiful a country Hellas is. A kseno showing more love for Hellas than Sokratis ever has!

Either man up and speak up or feck off...

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Manolas was on Open TV for an interview he said JVS wanted to keep him in his Qatar plan but it never materialized and said that the coach said he had a problematic personality. Manolas said all was proven with the exclusion of Siovas from the NT and that proved JVS behavior was dangerous. He stated he always gave 150% for the Ethniki and would be interested in a return to the NT.

19 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

N. Nioplias
https://www.sport24.gr/opinions/o-tsarly/o-nikos-nioplias-chtizei-mia-deyteri-kariera.9469470.html

This guy is my favourite Greek coach at the moment. After taking over last year, record is 8W 11D 2L. Not easy to takeover a relegation threatened club and turn it around. Impressive.

Ps: I don’t think he is an option for the current vacancy. I think Donis is a good bet.

Good article. I would like to see Donis take over but he recently said on Nova sport fm that now is not the right time for him to take the job mainly do to all the issues around EPO. He said he would love to one day be the coach of the NT.

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

Rumors have it that the EPO are in talks with Italian coach Gianni De Biasi the current coach of Azerbaijan.

Thoughts?

People wanted JVS gone blindly, not knowing who our replacement would be. This guy would set our team back another cycle. As the Azerbaijani coach he has 2 wins in 20 games. The last time he had a winning record was back in 2006 with Torino. 

If we get someone better and this is just a stupid rumor , so be it. But if we got rid of JVS for this guy, that would be a huge mistake

• Like it 1

Well he’s coached in high quality leagues like la liga and serie A so I think he would know about good talent unlike JVS. But his overall win percentage is awful at only 30%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianni_De_Biasi

We need someone who knows how to make this team win and score goals. We can’t score for the life of us, we have players that score for there clubs but we need them to do the same for Greece. Part of the problem is our midfield in my opinion.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

Rumors have it that the EPO are in talks with Italian coach Gianni De Biasi the current coach of Azerbaijan.

Thoughts?

Not on my short list. His one major coaching achievement was getting Albania to 2016 Euro.

18 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Well he’s coached in high quality leagues like la liga and serie A so I think he would know about good talent unlike JVS. But his overall win percentage is awful at only 30%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianni_De_Biasi

We need someone who knows how to make this team win and score goals. We can’t score for the life of us, we have players that score for there clubs but we need them to do the same for Greece. Part of the problem is our midfield in my opinion.

You want this team to score goals? Find a world class striker. They’re coaches, not miracle workers. Look at Poland. Average team at best. But even they have a world class striker. 

• Like it 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

You want this team to score goals? Find a world class striker. They’re coaches, not miracle workers. Look at Poland. Average team at best. But even they have a world class striker. 

Agreed. We don’t have quality players up top who make a difference. Our strength is at defense. Specifically LB 😂

• Like it 1