Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

6 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Any coach that comes in should have total control. I don’t think JVS has full control. The EPO decided to sabotage the national team after 2014 and look at what has happened. 

The EPO will have their dirty hands on the team if they keep JVS or hire another lower end coach like him. If they somehow give the job to Santos we all know he won’t put up with their ways. Santos and Otto ran the NT there way with no interference from EPO and we saw the incredible results we had for over a decade. 

54 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

Looks like he’s heading to Man Utd. I new he was good. Very intelligent coach.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/mantsester-gioynaitent-symfonise-me-rangknik-gia-na-analavei-ypiresiakos.9438338.html

I never thought he would come. Valverde seems more realistic but I even think he won’t come. I’m hoping he does though…

16 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

The EPO will have their dirty hands on the team if they keep JVS or hire another lower end coach like him. If they somehow give the job to Santos we all know he won’t put up with their ways. Santos and Otto ran the NT there way with no interference from EPO and we saw the incredible results we had for over a decade. 

I’m not so sure Santos and Otto ran the team there way totally. Maybe Otto did but I think some of Santos selections were questionable. The core of Santos team were Samaras, Salpingidis, Karagounis, Katsouranis, Torosidis and Sokratis. Everyone else were mixed up. I appreciated how he integrated Fetfa and Ninis a lot. 

With JVS, there  are a lot of questionable call ups and most of our talented players aren’t there anymore. Players like Svarnas, Bakakis, Bakasetas, Bouchalakis, Rota and Mavrias aren’t really good enough on the international stage. Something tells me they paid a lot of money to get in. Wouldn’t be surprising as there is heaps of corruption in Greek football.

Edited by Dean97

7 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I’m not so sure Santos and Otto ran the team there way totally. Maybe Otto did but I think some of Santos selections were questionable. The core of Santos team were Samaras, Salpingidis, Karagounis, Katsouranis, Torosidis and Sokratis. Everyone else were mixed up. I appreciated how he integrated Fetfa and Ninis a lot. 

With JVS, there  are a lot of questionable call ups and most of our talented players aren’t there anymore. Players like Svarnas, Bakakis, Bakasetas, Bouchalakis, Rota and Mavrias aren’t really good enough on the international stage. Something tells me they paid a lot of money to get in. Wouldn’t be surprising as there is heaps of corruption in Greek football.

Those players don’t have that kind of money. Have you seen where they play? 

I really liked JVS as a human. He seems like a good guy and he always said it as it is. A straight-shooter.

He's right what he says about EPO. We all know its corrupt as F***. Canadians/Dutch don't put up with this kind of thing. Its not in their DNA.

Truth is, however, he didn't get the team into Euro 2020 or WC 2022. There were some bad losses and ties to countries we should have beaten with our eyes closed. I have no clue why Greece has always stunk against minnows but is always respectful, if not great, against the giants. People mention the good times of Otto and Santos but forget how many times we had to eek out a win against the Lichenstein's of the world in extra time. The problem is in the mentality of the players. You have to approach every game as a must win situation and take no team for granted. Corruption has to be abolished. How do small countries like Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Portugal, etc., do it? They have smaller and/or equal populations to Greece but they are ages ahead of us...

I hope the new generation in Greece which seems to be less corrupt and much more innovative moves in and clears the scum out of EPO so some respectability can be put into place. I'm gutted by the current state of affairs. I never in my life thought I would see the day where I would watch Canada's national team play and think, "holy crap! this team would smoke Greece if they played today".

Edited by AEK RE GAMOTO
  • Like it 3

1 hour ago, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

I really liked JVS as a human. He seems like a good guy and he always said it as it is. A straight-shooter.

He's right what he says about EPO. We all know its corrupt as F***. Canadians/Dutch don't put up with this kind of thing. Its not in their DNA.

Truth is, however, he didn't get the team into Euro 2020 or WC 2022. There were some bad losses and ties to countries we should have beaten with our eyes closed. I have no clue why Greece has always stunk against minnows but is always respectful, if not great, against the giants. People mention the good times of Otto and Santos but forget how many times we had to eek out a win against the Lichenstein's of the world in extra time. The problem is in the mentality of the players. You have to approach every game as a must win situation and take no team for granted. Corruption has to be abolished. How do small countries like Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Portugal, etc., do it? They have smaller and/or equal populations to Greece but they are ages ahead of us...

I hope the new generation in Greece which seems to be less corrupt and much more innovative moves in and clears the scum out of EPO so some respectability can be put into place. I'm gutted by the current state of affairs. I never in my life thought I would see the day where I would watch Canada's national team play and think, "holy crap! this team would smoke Greece if they played today".

JVS is not a bad guy he made to many blunders with the Ethniki and did not learn from them. As for corruption Canadians and the CSA are shady as well. Kick backs and bribes they are the same s%$#!. You mentioned Croatia they are a small country but they have an abundance of talent but corrupt too. 

As for Canada smoking us lol maybe at shinny. Lets see them play Spain and how many goals they eat.  

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

JVS has left the team he will not continue with the NT. He said the EPO was taking to long to decide if they wanted to continue so he felt it was best to leave the team.

JVS knew he was not going to get a renewal so he tried to save face by leaving. Anyways @J1078 who do you think we will get as coach. Who do you like out of the names that have been mentioned.

13 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

Interesting next few months.

Not sure if EPO is going to wait for Santos, and / or if Santos will want to come back. Portugal matches are in Mar and there is the chance they may qualify for WC.

I heard they are waiting to see if Portugal fail to qualify and they would then give the job to Santos. In March EPO are working on playing a friendly match with Germany. Maybe they will go with one of the other candidates, will see. 

3 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

JVS knew he was not going to get a renewal so he tried to save face by leaving. Anyways @J1078 who do you think we will get as coach. Who do you like out of the names that have been mentioned.

It’s a tough call right now, I’m worried they will go after a low budget coach. I started thinking maybe a Greek coach that has a better understanding of Greek football Like Donis but it also worries me that a Greek coach will be completely controlled by the EPO. We know for certain we are not going to hire a big name coach number one we don’t have the budget and number two I don’t think a big name would come here. Santos is an interesting name to bring back but as I mentioned before I don’t think he has the players that can make him and his style successful. Especially since Santos will for certain play a less attacking and a more defensive style. Valverde might be okay but there’s no one I’m jumping  out of my chair for right now.

• Like it 1

4 minutes ago, J1078 said:

It’s a tough call right now, I’m worried they will go after a low budget coach. I started thinking maybe a Greek coach that has a better understanding of Greek football Like Donis but it also worries me that a Greek coach will be completely controlled by the EPO. We know for certain we are not going to hire a big name coach number one we don’t have the budget and number two I don’t think a big name would come here. Santos is an interesting name to bring back but as I mentioned before I don’t think he has the players that can make him and his style successful. Especially since Santos will for certain play a less attacking and a more defensive style. Valverde might be okay but there’s no one I’m jumping  out of my chair for right now.

I wish they would bring in a big name experienced coach but like u said that most likely wont happen. I have a lot of respect for Santos and what he did for the Ethniki. He was with in penalties off taking Greece to the quarter finals of the wcup! He had a great record and the defensive pieces to play his style of football. I have a feeling they will go with a Donis or Dellas but I am seeing on some sites that EPO want a foreigner. 

Anyways JVS started brightly but his questionable player selections & tactics screwed us. 6pts dropped in games we were leading in the 2nd half to Kosovo & Georgia (who are an up and coming side)would have taken us over Sweden. Just pisses me off seeing Sweden in the playoff draw today and they avoided Italy and Portugal.

• Like it 1

Was talking to one of my Portuguese friends about Santos.  They like him but they think he plays too defensive.  In the game against Serbia, they scored the first goal and then stopped trying to score.  They just sat back absorbing pressure for the majority of the game.  They didn't start attacking again until the last few minutes. May have won them the Euro but with the team they have, they should have qualified for the WC as the first place team. 

• Like it 1

JVS is not a bad guy he made to many blunders with the Ethniki and did not learn from them. As for corruption Canadians and the CSA are shady as well. Kick backs and bribes they are the same s%$#!. You mentioned Croatia they are a small country but they have an abundance of talent but corrupt too. 

As for Canada smoking us lol maybe at shinny. Lets see them play Spain and how many goals they eat.  

————-

they may eat 7. But they will score 4. That’s for sure. Way too much talent up too. 

On 11/27/2021 at 2:14 AM, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

I respectfully diagree with this part. We used to spank the minnows under Otto and Santos, I remember Gekas alone would score two or three. I can remember a few last gasp wins against Kazhakstan and Malta but other than that we've usually accounted for these sides quite easily.

• Like it 1

On 11/26/2021 at 6:49 PM, Jimmyp said:

JVS is not a bad guy he made to many blunders with the Ethniki and did not learn from them. As for corruption Canadians and the CSA are shady as well. Kick backs and bribes they are the same s%$#!. You mentioned Croatia they are a small country but they have an abundance of talent but corrupt too. 

————-

they may eat 7. But they will score 4. That’s for sure. Way too much talent up too. 

Score 4 on Spain sure keep dreaming!