Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

12 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

Not only did he get us to the round of 16 in WC but also if we hit our PK’s we could have gone to the final 8 or even further

I know my fried he did a great job with the NT. Had Greece won would have faced Holland close to a 50/50 game for a chance to play in the semi finals. I would have never believed after that game with Costa Rica we would have hit such lows. I was just thinking how amazing it was when we beat Romania and then the draw in Romania to qualify for the WCUP. Great memories!!

• Like it 2

19 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

Not taking anything away from Santos, but we did have some luck in that tourney.  We won one game that tournament and it was against the IC on a questionable penalty.

True but don’t forget the game before that where we were down a man almost the entire game against Japan he had the team playing solid defence to even give us a shot to make the IC game count.. Santos knew how to get the most out of his players. Man I had such high hopes for Kone, Samaris and others. What a disaster it’s been since that tourney..

• Like it 2

I’ll be really surprised if JVS stays.

At the end of the day it’s results that matter and 1-1 draws with Kosovo and Georgia is really not good enough.

So if he goes, who should be the next Greece coach? Some names mentioned.

Donis

Dellas

Ouzounidis

Valverde

Santos

There are many good coaches out there.

We have a lot of good young players just starting their international careers, others that are in their late 20s who are going well and others who may fall out favour. I still believe with right team selections and good player management there are better days ahead for Greece.

• Like it 2

19 hours ago, PaokCT said:

Not sure if you’re joking or not… 

Santos has won a European Championship, a Nations League championship, won European Coach of the year in 2016, won best international coach in 2016 and 2019…

He also led Greece to the last 8 in a Euro and the knockout stage in the WC

Valverde would be a step above Santos. I remember Santos had us playing defensive, boring football. Not willing to go back to that. Greece can play attacking football. They just need the right players and the right system for it. Also the correct coaching and Valverde would be perfect for the job. He loves Greece aswell. Hopefully we get him. 

• Like it 1

19 hours ago, J1078 said:

True but don’t forget the game before that where we were down a man almost the entire game against Japan he had the team playing solid defence to even give us a shot to make the IC game count.. Santos knew how to get the most out of his players. Man I had such high hopes for Kone, Samaris and others. What a disaster it’s been since that tourney..

If Lazaro wasn't shellfish at that end of that game, we would have been through...

Regarding coaches - Valverde, Santos, Donis in that order...

• Like it 3

9 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Valverde would be a step above Santos. I remember Santos had us playing defensive, boring football. Not willing to go back to that. Greece can play attacking football. They just need the right players and the right system for it. Also the correct coaching and Valverde would be perfect for the job. He loves Greece aswell. Hopefully we get him. 

Greece can play attacking football? Name 4 attacking players who scare opponents, and don’t even start with Fetfazidis … Truth be told I don’t think we can play attacking football. We don’t have speed with ball control, we don’t have players who can play under pressure. We haven’t played attacking football since I can remember. Who cares if Santos plays defensive soccer, he wins games and has won games for us in the past. I’d rather play defensively and win than go out attacking and lose 3-1 cause we are susceptible in the back to counter attacks. This isn’t Fifa. You can’t just change your style anytime you want. We have to work with the players we are given, being it’s a national team. 

• Like it 3

54 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

Greece can play attacking football? Name 4 attacking players who scare opponents, and don’t even start with Fetfazidis … Truth be told I don’t think we can play attacking football. We don’t have speed with ball control, we don’t have players who can play under pressure. We haven’t played attacking football since I can remember. Who cares if Santos plays defensive soccer, he wins games and has won games for us in the past. I’d rather play defensively and win than go out attacking and lose 3-1 cause we are susceptible in the back to counter attacks. This isn’t Fifa. You can’t just change your style anytime you want. We have to work with the players we are given, being it’s a national team. 

You’re right. To play attacking football you have to have guys that can run. I haven’t seen anyone on the team that can do the 100m in under 30 seconds. 

2 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

You’re right. To play attacking football you have to have guys that can run. I haven’t seen anyone on the team that can do the 100m in under 30 seconds. 

You don’t have to run but that’s why I said with the ball at your feet. You have to be able to have players who can scare opponents. Who can beat a defender 1v1. Who attacking wise would start on any of the top 30 teams in the world rankings? I don’t think anyone. If people think we have top class attackers, I want what they’re smoking.

Making an edit, after looking at the top 30 rankings, I think some can play for 28 Tunisia.

Edited by PaokCT

8 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

If Lazaro wasn't shellfish at that end of that game, we would have been through...

Regarding coaches - Valverde, Santos, Donis in that order...

The what was it a 5 v 3 where he didn’t pass. To this day I believe Navas was off his line for every one of our PKs and he knew Gekas from Levante so he stopped his.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:32 PM, kbxk508 said:

I’ll be really surprised if JVS stays.

At the end of the day it’s results that matter and 1-1 draws with Kosovo and Georgia is really not good enough.

So if he goes, who should be the next Greece coach? Some names mentioned.

Donis

Dellas

Ouzounidis

Valverde

Santos

There are many good coaches out there.

We have a lot of good young players just starting their international careers, others that are in their late 20s who are going well and others who may fall out favour. I still believe with right team selections and good player management there are better days ahead for Greece.

I would take any over JVS especially Donis, Valverde, and Santos. I heard on the Hellas Footy podcast a long shot candidate could be Andre Pirlo. I personally cant see that happening. 

According to a Greek site JVS apparently told EPO that he would take a reduced salary to stay on as coach of the Ethniki. He is getting desperate. He looked like a lock to get a renewal but that Kosovo game looks to have opened up the eyes of the technical director and the higher ups in the EPO. 

It looks like EPO really want Santos but he has the playoffs with Portugal in March. It would be hard to see them not make it to the wcup but there is a chance they could be in the same path with Italy. Santos did say if he does not get the team to Qatar he will leave Portugal on his own.

Here's my only worry with Santos, Now don't get me wrong he was great and one of the best coaches the NT have had but when he was coaching the NT he had the players and personalities to implement his defensive and shut down style. That wont work with this type of core and this generation of players. I would rather we find a coach that likes to play more of a style where we can attack as a unite or play more balanced. If you look back the best games this team has played is when they pushed the pace. I could be wrong but that's my thinking.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

Here's my only worry with Santos, Now don't get me wrong he was great and one of the best coaches the NT have had but when he was coaching the NT he had the players and personalities to implement his defensive and shut down style. That wont work with this type of core and this generation of players. I would rather we find a coach that likes to play more of a style where we can attack as a unite or play more balanced. If you look back the best games this team has played is when they pushed the pace. I could be wrong but that's my thinking.

That's a good point we don't have those top class defenders now some of which are banned from the team. I also would like to see us playing a more attacking style of football at the end of the day though if we could go back to the Otto & Santos days were we won games 1nil and regularly qualified for tournaments I would take that right away.

I personally would like Donis, Valverde, and Santos out of the names that have been thrown around. They better just get the right coach this time it wont be easy to make the Euros especially if we are in Pot 4. Greece need to make sure they take top place in their NL group to have a potential playoff spot at our disposal should we need it.

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

That's just absolutely embarrassing.

JVS screwed us with that Kosovo draw, similar to coach Ange when Greece lost to Estonia in that NL match and that result costed us a Euro playoff spot. Now it looks like we are a Pot 4 team.

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

That's just absolutely embarrassing.

Looking at the rankings we are behind the likes of Canada, Paraguay, Saudi Arabia, Ireland and N Ireland absolutely disgraceful. JVS could only muster 2 draws vs Kosovo in world cup qualifiers. After this FIFA rankings release he should just say thank you for the opportunity that was given to him and walk out the door. Enough!

• Like it 1

16 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Looking at the rankings we are behind the likes of Canada, Paraguay, Saudi Arabia, Ireland and N Ireland absolutely disgraceful. JVS could only muster 2 draws vs Kosovo in world cup qualifiers. After this FIFA rankings release he should just say thank you for the opportunity that was given to him and walk out the door. Enough!

I don’t know about the other countries. I can’t speak for those. But Canada isn’t the Canada of old. They are talented, very fast, and have 3 world class players playing for huge clubs. And starting for them. Lauren plays  for besiktas. David is on French champions lille and starts and of course Davies on Bayern. That’s the forward line for them. Not many countries can line up a better attacking 3 than that. JVS doesn’t have very many attacking options. Greece aren’t built to attack. It’s just not in their system. Hasn’t been since I remember. I say find a defensive coach again and play to the strengths. 

• Like it 2

They have improved for sure it also helps playing in CONCACAF region although with many lightweights I will say the USA have a very good side. Mexico are decent but nowhere near a top 10 team especially the last year or so they are struggling. Greece has it tougher having to play world class teams in recent qualifying like Spain, Belgium, and Italy for example and even the Sweden, Holland and Swiss of the world and we have gotten results of most of these teams. We just hurt ourselves with stupid tactics and players selections and having players being played out of their natural positions. 

JVS had us playing nice attacking football when he came in the Euro qualifiers and in the friendlies. Greece were playing a lot of one twos and quick passes and creating many quality efforts around goal. I saw for this campaign that we only managed like 22 shots on target tying us in that department with Andorra? JVS went away from his high tempo attacking play except for the game vs Sweden in Athens and that 1st half in Sweden were we looked very dangerous. As I have said we need to just move on from him he has shown he is to stubborn to learn from his mistakes and we have no wiggle room to flop in the NL.

• Like it 1

According to Sportime Mark Wilmots was interested in the Ethniki job but EPO has since moved on from him. Personally I would not have wanted him at the helm he failed with a stacked Belgium side at Euro 2016. Also Mark Hughes the Welsh manager is now being considered. He last managed Southampton. Any thoughts on him?

Agree 100%. Specially with names like Donis and Dellas being thrown around. The only one from those mentioned that would make the difference is Santos, and only under the conditions that he would not be interfered in his job by outside forces as in his last tenure.