Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

• 5 months later...

This Euro 2004 movie is going to Premier in Australia. Thats very kavlotic I must say.

Everyone rightly talks about Melbourne's Greeks going absolutely 'bangers' when Ethniki played the Pork-n-cheese in 2004, with Figo and a young Ronaldo as well.

I'm in Sydney and I went with my then-to-be Koumbaro to Bay Street In Brighton at around 2am overnight.

My oh my, there were by memory 3-5 Massive t.v screens attached to the sides of the buildings and there were thousands of men with sons, friends, relatives and women there in an extremely festive time. Street was blocked and no parking for miles.

When Charisteas scored, the buildings shook from the Roar of the Greeks! I mainly used to watch Rugby League back then but I was overcome by the emotion of the occasion and I bought in ever since, also given my heritage. 

Didn't sleep till the next morning, wearing my Euro 04 T-shirt they were selling on the street. I still have that t-shirt.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2

14 hours ago, ausgreek said:

This Euro 2004 movie is going to Premier in Australia. Thats very kavlotic I must say.

Everyone rightly talks about Melbourne's Greeks going absolutely 'bangers' when Ethniki played the Pork-n-cheese in 2004, with Figo and a young Ronaldo as well.

I'm in Sydney and I went with my then-to-be Koumbaro to Bay Street In Brighton at around 2am overnight.

My oh my, there were by memory 3-5 Massive t.v screens attached to the sides of the buildings and there were thousands of men with sons, friends, relatives and women there in an extremely festive time. Street was blocked and no parking for miles.

When Charisteas scored, the buildings shook from the Roar of the Greeks! I mainly used to watch Rugby League back then but I was overcome by the emotion of the occasion and I bought in ever since, also given my heritage. 

Didn't sleep till the next morning, wearing my Euro 04 T-shirt they were selling on the street. I still have that t-shirt.

Great memories. I was really young then but I still remember the craziness in Brighton. Would love to have those memories again. 

• Like it 1

Sydney lad also... I was 23 when the whole Euro campaign was happening... It was a magic month, every game as memorable as the other as we ventured to location after location per game before Enmore Theater became my choice of venue.

I am hoping to watch the doco at a cinema on either Friday or next Saturday

• Like it 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Although we mathematically are a chance to still qualify for the World Cup it's obviously going to be very tough from here. Reading the match-day topic it seems there are very mixed views on JVS, there always has been. 

I don't think it's possible to do in a post but I would be curious if we did a poll how many would want to keep and how many would want him gone post WC qualifiers. (Maybe one of the Moderators can help? @Blackhawk @Dutch Eagle

FWIW I would keep him, he hasn't been perfect but I think he has done a good job and has for large stints made us look like a modern footballing nation. He also has made the team much younger, most of the current guys in the squad are young enough except for 2-3 players, that they'll all be around for Euro 24 and WC 26. Not to mention Tzolis, Mavropanos, Pavlidis, Douvikas etc, guys who are just starting out and have 10+ years ahead of them.

I think he deserves to take us into Euro 2024 qualifying, in a 24 team Euro I think he will get us there. Nations League will be important to secure a playoff spot just incase. 

• Like it 1

There is certainly pros and cons to JVS and that also is what worries me, early on I was very excited with the football we played under him and how dynamic we were but then we failed in the Nations League in a group we should have won and now the inability to beat Georgia at home and Kosovo (again) has really put us in a hard place where I dont think we will qualify for Qatar, I knew this was never going to be easy but some key points that for me could see a new coach.

1. Our best players are not playing and they are the CB's who play and have played at the highest level. Everyone knows the trio I am talking about, they also brought with them incredible experience which we dont have and that cost us today and I believe in other matches too (look at the last time we beat Kosovo)

2. Game management - very poor, I am actually surprised how badly JVS has managed games this campaign and always leaving subs way too late to make a real impact/change. Subbing Masouras off today... he was really the one creating space and chances.

3. Player selection, even outside of point one, what is the obsession with Stafylidis, the guy is not at NT team level and got injured again even at camp, he would have started today and when he didnt start, he starts Tsimikas at CB, watch the lead up to the penalty Mavropanos gave away, Tsimikas should have covered that off, Giannoulis lost at CB also in the Kosovo game and Harris Mavrias against Georgia...  we never played a RB at RB, only Baka at CAM, Pavlidis over Douvikas... 

I can only see this issues continuing under JVS and for me we need to do better than this as he never learns from his mistakes. 

In saying that I wouldn't be totally disappointed if he stays on as I think he has a great rapport with the players and we are playing a better brand of football but a team like the Ethniki needs its best players out there and I dont see that happening with JVS.

• Like it 2

Spot on Alphonse. In the beginning when he took over we looked good and even in the first half of today’s game we looked great. But like many have said he hasn’t learned from his mistakes and his in game management is poor. He has to evaluate our players better also. For me the fascination with Stafylidis and Bakasetas has to stop. He has chosen these guys as his captains and I don’t know why. 

Things have to change and I don’t know if he is capable of changing. He seems very stubborn with his decisions where he should try and work things out with our best players and integrate them into the team. 

2 hours ago, Alphonse said:

1. Our best players are not playing and they are the CB's who play and have played at the highest level. Everyone knows the trio I am talking about, they also brought with them incredible experience which we dont have and that cost us today and I believe in other matches too (look at the last time we beat Kosovo)

Just on this point, I agree Manolas and Siovas would have helped particularly today. But if we are talking about moving forward, Siovas is 33 and currently without a team, Sokratis is also 33. So going forward these 2 aren't really options for the Ethniki, Manolas is the only one who could potentially be around for Euro 2024 and even then he will be 33 by the time Euro 2024 kicks off. 

To put a positive spin on having these guys out, is that it has fast tracked Mavropanos and Chatzidiakos who would have ridden the bench during this campaign. Instead they have gained valuable experience and caps. 

So yes not having these guys has hurt our chances of qualifying for Qatar but I don't think it should necessarily be a criteria moving forward for keeping JVS or not, IMO. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, paokarag4 said:

Just on this point, I agree Manolas and Siovas would have helped particularly today. But if we are talking about moving forward, Siovas is 33 and currently without a team, Sokratis is also 33. So going forward these 2 aren't really options for the Ethniki, Manolas is the only one who could potentially be around for Euro 2024 and even then he will be 33 by the time Euro 2024 kicks off. 

To put a positive spin on having these guys out, is that it has fast tracked Mavropanos and Chatzidiakos who would have ridden the bench during this campaign. Instead they have gained valuable experience and caps. 

So yes not having these guys has hurt our chances of qualifying for Qatar but I don't think it should necessarily be a criteria moving forward for keeping JVS or not, IMO. 

Well said. Spot on. 

• 3 weeks later...

JVS has done a massive interview with sport24, where he covers plenty of topics it is worth a read!

He address the Manolas/Siovas/Sokratis situation. He basically clarifies what we already knew, at the start of the qualifiers he reached out to Manolas and asked him to come back. JVS claims the conversation was a good and healthy exchange. A few days later Manolas calls back says he won't be returning. JVS expresses disappointment and tells him the door is always open for a return. Similar story with Sokratis. They have refused the call-up, presumably having being offended by not being called up for over a year by the time WC qualification rolled around. 

As for Siovas he said it is a different situation entirely, he feels Siovas spoke out of turn and hurt the teams comradery. 

He also talks about Tzolis, Tsimikas, Giannoulis and plenty of other topics. 

Full interview here https://longreads.sport24.gr/John-van-Schip/index.html 

• Like it 3

12 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

JVS has done a massive interview with sport24, where he covers plenty of topics it is worth a read!

He address the Manolas/Siovas/Sokratis situation. He basically clarifies what we already knew, at the start of the qualifiers he reached out to Manolas and asked him to come back. JVS claims the conversation was a good and healthy exchange. A few days later Manolas calls back says he won't be returning. JVS expresses disappointment and tells him the door is always open for a return. Similar story with Sokratis. They have refused the call-up, presumably having being offended by not being called up for over a year by the time WC qualification rolled around. 

As for Siovas he said it is a different situation entirely, he feels Siovas spoke out of turn and hurt the teams comradery. 

He also talks about Tzolis, Tsimikas, Giannoulis and plenty of other topics. 

Full interview here https://longreads.sport24.gr/John-van-Schip/index.html 

Ya I heard them talking about that interview on another Greek soccer show. He reached out too Sokratis & Manolas because their problems were focused squarely with coach Ange. That’s fine but why can’t he get over what Siovas said? It was nothing malicious. We could have definitely used Siovas in these qualifiers. Pure stupidity!

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

JVS is about to sign an extension that will take him up to 2024 with the Ethniki. Thoughts?

Will see after these two games (how the team performs & how JVS sets up the team) but if Greece don't get into the playoffs at the very least then I would lean toward letting him go. There has been some positives during his tenure especially off the start in 2019 but the end goal was to make the World Cup, JVS said the the same thing "Project Qatar" is what it will ultimately come down to.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I’d rather Valverde. He’s more accomplished.

Not sure if you’re joking or not… 

Santos has won a European Championship, a Nations League championship, won European Coach of the year in 2016, won best international coach in 2016 and 2019…

He also led Greece to the last 8 in a Euro and the knockout stage in the WC

4 hours ago, PaokCT said:

Not sure if you’re joking or not… 

Santos has won a European Championship, a Nations League championship, won European Coach of the year in 2016, won best international coach in 2016 and 2019…

He also led Greece to the last 8 in a Euro and the knockout stage in the WC

Have to agree Santos won a Euro vs heavy favorites France in their country. With a good Portugal team but nothing like the star studded team they had when Greece beat them in 2004 or even their present day squad. Also his record with the Ethniki is incredible and as you said he got us far in the Euro 2012 and the last 16 of the World Cup. 

I would not mind Valverde he likes the possession based football with high press. He coached OLY and Barca of course so he is a step above JVS for sure. 

For me as I have said I would like Donis as a Greek who can speak to the players and he knows Greek football well. I think he would relish the chance of turning the Ethniki around and can bring along the younger players as he did when he was at PAO. 

• Like it 1

20 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Have to agree Santos won a Euro vs heavy favorites France in their country. With a good Portugal team but nothing like the star studded team they had when Greece beat them in 2004 or even their present day squad. Also his record with the Ethniki is incredible and as you said he got us far in the Euro 2012 and the last 16 of the World Cup. 

I would not mind Valverde he likes the possession based football with high press. He coached OLY and Barca of course so he is a step above JVS for sure. 

For me as I have said I would like Donis as a Greek who can speak to the players and he knows Greek football well. I think he would relish the chance of turning the Ethniki around and can bring along the younger players as he did when he was at PAO. 

Not only did he get us to the round of 16 in WC but also if we hit our PK’s we could have gone to the final 8 or even further

• Like it 1