Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

Regarding your comment about pressing. It’s not that difficult to ask players to press, they should just go out there and do it. Having Bakasetas there to press means nothing when he’s not fast enough or smart enough to make something happen in attack. 

That is not the case at all do you honestly think Martins and JVS haven't 'thought' to ask him to do it?  I can guarantee you Fortounis has been told to press and track back once his team's lose the ball. Both Martins and JVS would've told him this countless times and I think it's the main reason he isn't a regular starter for either team. Which is crazy when you think about his talent and ability. 

Watch the best teams in the world, Liverpool, Bayern, Man City all players press the opposition and work hard without the ball, I don't think Fortounis is above doing the dirty work that players like Lewandowski, Mane and Bernardo Silva do week in week out. There are only a few players in world football who play for top level clubs who don't press and work hard without the ball, Messi is one of them. 

I'm not saying I agree with Bakasetas starting over Fortounis, I'm just saying I understand why he does it. 

Edited by paokarag4

I will agree with you that Fourtonis without the ball looks lackadaisical at times and like he’s not interested. but to be completely honest there’s no comparison between him and Bakasetas.. You needed to win that game against Kosovo you had no business starting Mantolas on the wing and Bakasetas when you needed to score. Also JVS took our most effective and dangerous  player off in Liminos when we needed a goal. When Fortounis and Fountas came on you could see the dynamic of the game open up for us and that needs to be a wake up call for JVS. Also seeing Liminos scream at Chatzigovanis To make a run was embarrassing and that should show JVS you can’t just play guys in a position they are not use to playing.  I liked the things JVS did at the end of our last campaign but I have to admit I’m getting very frustrated with some of these moves. This is no different of how I felt with every other coach post our last World Cup appearance.. 

Regarding Manolas, if JVS gave him the impression as per the last article that he’s going to try some young guys and then reach back to him then JVS is at fault, I would rather he be straight up with him and tell him why he won’t call him up rather then lead him on as you can see from the article Manolas is a little bit in shock that JVS has not reached out to him.  I don’t agree with Siovas comments but should that mean he’s automatically cut from the team for good? I understand punishing him but to completely cut him I’m not too sure if that’s the right move..

JVS needs to read the game quicker in my opinion, if the game is not going as planned and you need a win then don’t wait until the 75th minute too make changes give the guys some time to do something. I strongly believe if Fourtonis and Fountas along with Liminos were on for the majority of the game against Kosovo then we get the win.

JVS still has earned the right to finish this Nations league and barring a complete collapse in our next two games he has earned the right to at least coach the team through the World Cup qualifiers. The main issue I have is we are leaving players out who are desperately needed especially when we face a lot better competition like we will during the World Cup qualifiers..

• Like it 2

Been shouting for all these things some of you guys seem to have just figured out but we did beat some very mediocre Finnish/Bosnian/Armenian sides as well as Moldova and Kosovo and all the internet used to go nuts about the super team this idiot has built lmao.

1 hour ago, Boxou said:

Been shouting for all these things some of you guys seem to have just figured out but we did beat some very mediocre Finnish/Bosnian/Armenian sides as well as Moldova and Kosovo and all the internet used to go nuts about the super team this idiot has built lmao.

I think people give you a hard time because you come out here taking shots at people like you’re so f***ing superior and you think you know your s%$#!, you make some valid points about players as do other guys on here but that s%$#! goes out the window with your Internet tough guy attitude. You will get your point across better when you’re not taking shots at people For having an opinion or making a mistake tough guy..

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, J1078 said:

I will agree with you that Fourtonis without the ball looks lackadaisical at times and like he’s not interested. but to be completely honest there’s no comparison between him and Bakasetas.. You needed to win that game against Kosovo you had no business starting Mantolas on the wing and Bakasetas when you needed to score. Also JVS took our most effective and dangerous  player off in Liminos when we needed a goal. When Fortounis and Fountas came on you could see the dynamic of the game open up for us and that needs to be a wake up call for JVS. Also seeing Liminos scream at Chatzigovanis To make a run was embarrassing and that should show JVS you can’t just play guys in a position they are not use to playing.  I liked the things JVS did at the end of our last campaign but I have to admit I’m getting very frustrated with some of these moves. This is no different of how I felt with every other coach post our last World Cup appearance.. 

Regarding Manolas, if JVS gave him the impression as per the last article that he’s going to try some young guys and then reach back to him then JVS is at fault, I would rather he be straight up with him and tell him why he won’t call him up rather then lead him on as you can see from the article Manolas is a little bit in shock that JVS has not reached out to him.  I don’t agree with Siovas comments but should that mean he’s automatically cut from the team for good? I understand punishing him but to completely cut him I’m not too sure if that’s the right move..

JVS needs to read the game quicker in my opinion, if the game is not going as planned and you need a win then don’t wait until the 75th minute too make changes give the guys some time to do something. I strongly believe if Fourtonis and Fountas along with Liminos were on for the majority of the game against Kosovo then we get the win.

JVS still has earned the right to finish this Nations league and barring a complete collapse in our next two games he has earned the right to at least coach the team through the World Cup qualifiers. The main issue I have is we are leaving players out who are desperately needed especially when we face a lot better competition like we will during the World Cup qualifiers..

When JVS came in we can all agree the NT looked fantastic with the style of play he implemented. In those Euro qualifiers the team created so many quality scoring chances especially vs Bosnia and no one was use to seeing the NT play with such attacking vigor. Now in the NL we have seen a couple sub par performances vs Slovenia and vs Kosovo a game which Greece should definitely have won and I think we would have won had a couple changes to the lineup had been made as you noted. 

Overall JVS is doing a good job lets not forget that after Santos left the coaches that followed only won a single match in the 2016 Euro qualification on the last matchday Going forward he has to see that Fortounis is a starter on the NT no doubt about it and he needs to make a few other changes that should give the team wins in the upcoming NL games.

I think he starts Bakesetas because he trusts him. He follows his direction and presses which allows us to get the ball back.  He fits his system.  Fortounis is miles ahead of talent but he doesn't do those things.  Masouras has played LW when healthy.  He was out these last three games.  I would think of putting Mantalos in CM and have Masouras or Tsimakis/Giannoulis (whichever one is not playing LB) in that spot.  Regarding the RB spot, Retsos played well there against Croatia but that's only bc his primary role was to play defense.  He wasn't asked to create.  Bakakis is the better option against these teams.  We need a RB but I am not sure who it would be.

JVS has tried to get him.  EPO reached out to him and he said he would be interested.  Apparently there were huge administrative hurdles and it seems unlikely that there will be able to be resolved. 

Zeca was straight forward because he lived in Greece for 7 years.  He speaks Greek fluently and he says he feels Greek. He passed all the language test and relevant history exam necessary for citizenship.  If you see him, he sings the national anthem along the other players, maybe louder.  I have no problem with him being called up. 

• Like it 3

Neither do I, but regarding the right back situation I still can't believe how to Cb's have been the main rotation guys there? Get Kivrakidis of Atromitos or Kotsiras of A.Tripolis, at least they'd do the basic staff a RB does and wouldn't walk around the pitch like headless chickens as Hatzidiakos did, although it wasn't his fault because it's not his natural position.

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Below is a link to JVS speaking about Fortounis and explaining how he was able to take advice on board and showed improvement in his problem areas over the last few games. 

https://www.novasports.gr/podosfairo/super-league-1/article/1843773/fant-sxip-epelexa-na-doso-xrono-ston-fortouni-vid

Based on how JVS praised him, I'd say there's a good chance he's a starter come the Qualifiers in March. 

• Like it 2

On 11/22/2020 at 1:38 AM, ausgreek said:

If JVS doesnt make the required starting team adjustments  along with correct game management, Giorgos Donis should be employed in June 2021.

Donis would be a great choice should JVS not start of well in the qualifiers. Donis knows the players very well and I hear that the players really enjoy playing for him and respect him alot. If he were to come in the fold Manolas and Siovas would get reinstated.

5 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Fortounis being a starter probably means he will start on the wing while Bakasetas starts as a CAM!

Fun fact: I called Skibbe a "tactically astute head coach" in a former post of mine in 2017! LOL 🤣🤣🤣

Exactly.... If Fortounis is a starter he will 100% be on the wing while Bakasetas who is s%$#! starts in the middle.. This logic makes zero sense.. 

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

Exactly.... If Fortounis is a starter he will 100% be on the wing while Bakasetas who is s%$#! starts in the middle.. This logic makes zero sense.. 

Lets hope he puts Fortounis in his natural position. Bakasetas at most should be a substitute!

We have to put up with the stubbornesd till around June, then JVS will fal on his sword. All the best.

These managers are boneheads, can't they see theif shortfalls b4 they get the arse and its too late?..

Didn't see him as this proud at first.

Edited by ausgreek

• 2 weeks later...