Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I have to agree with everything you said. I also believe what you said is fact. Too many players are getting a free pass. Samaris is a good example. He has played terribly and most of the time has been a passenger. I don’t know if it’s mindset or if he is limited. I think it’s both. More so mindset. He should’ve been replaced by now. Bouchalakis has to prove his worth now. 

I was hoping to get a real decent coach and start the rebuilding the right way. We need to include talented youngsters otherwise we will have problems. We haven’t been successful with the current group. I truly believe if a player is having a horrible game then he should be replaced. Sokratis and Manolas are included. Although they are our main players they shouldn’t be getting preferential treatment. Give Mavropanos a chance. Have a look at Androutsos for CM. We need to understand which players are cut out for the international level. If something is broken fix it. I don’t think Samaris and Zeca should be our main midfielders. I don’t think anyone should have a fixed position. 

We also call up players who aren’t good enough. We also ignore players with great attributes. Club form must play a role in selections. But a coach must also go beyond at look at other certain players who can help the team. Fetfatzidis has done way better than Bakasetas for the national team. Kourbelis is maturing and improving by the year, it has to be his time to be the starter now. Also a player dosent have to be playing every single game to be selected. Bakasetas could be playing every week, but that doesn’t mean he is good enough for Greece. 

Androutsos hasn’t played much for Olympiakos but I believe he can offer something for Greece at CM. He might not be the answer or he might be, but it’s worth trying. We need to find the right players and combinations that suit the team. It’s the coaches job to analyse and asses each players abilities and capabilities in my opinion.

Agreed, I won't get into the whole if Fetfa belongs on the NT debate but there is no way Bakasetas should be selected over him that's for sure. Samaris has gone downhill I was expecting him to be a solid player for the NT. 

The new coach was watching the AEK and Aris matches I can't wait to see who he selects and in some cases who he leaves out for the September qualifiers. 

• Like it 1

20 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Agreed, I won't get into the whole if Fetfa belongs on the NT debate but there is no way Bakasetas should be selected over him that's for sure. Samaris has gone downhill I was expecting him to be a solid player for the NT. 

The new coach was watching the AEK and Aris matches I can't wait to see who he selects and in some cases who he leaves out for the September qualifiers. 

Yeah I don’t know why Samaris hasn’t performed well for Greece, yet gets countless game time over and over again. I thought he along with Kone were our best players in the 2014 World Cup. After that they didn’t do anything for the team and the team plummeted. 

I hope this new coach has more eyes on players abroad aswell because we can’t just have players from the Greek league.

• Like it 1

22 hours ago, nick said:

Hey guys, there is no chance we can give players a chance who play little to no games. Mavropanos and androutsos have splinters in their ass from sitting on the bench. We have a huge issue at Cm. There is almost no young CM who are developing at a level that the NT needs. Kourbelis is a good Greek league player but is not NT level. He wouldn’t have even sniffed any of the squads before the 2014 World Cup. 

This year is is imperative that some of the younger players take huge steps... retsos, Koutris/tsimakis, vrousai, pavlidis, donis, koulouris, lamprou, bouzoukis, Chatzigiovannis, kampetsis.. 

That’s right Nick we have a massive problem at CM. If not the main reason we are losing. It’s unfortunate Mavropanos and Androutsos are not getting much playing time as they would be great options. 

With those players you mentioned - they have to step up this season and prove themselves. We need them as options, hopefully they are ready to be involved soon as we need more speed, skill and intelligence in the team.

1 hour ago, AchillesHeel said:

The main reason we are losing is faulty defensive play on both a team level and an individual level....i.e. stupid game strategies, lack of effort and stupid player decisions. If you don't give up goals you don't lose, if you don't score goals you don't win. The team has to start with not losing (not giving up crappy goals) and then try to win by somehow scoring, which has always been a problem. The coach can mitigate the defensive problems with his setup but if the players don't put in the effort there isn't much he can do except change players and hope for the best. On another note Sokrates and Manolas  et al better step it up now that they got Angelo canned and perform like world-beaters....the pressure is now on them with no room for excuses....the team better tighten up defensively in general or they will become a complete joke (if that hasn't already happened).

That true @AchillesHeel but we have struggled to score against teams lower teams than us. That’s where the midfield comes in and they are supposed to supply meaningful balls forward and create chances themselves. Fortounis has tried and done this himself. There is no real presence in midfield. Defensively they are easy to get passed and I believe Samaris is at fault here. Zeca is relying on his ability to run and tackle. He isn’t threatening with the ball. It’s only been Fortounis most of the time doing the damage. Zeca and Samaris should at least put in defensively. The defenders shouldn’t be totally blamed. 

We should have beaten Armenia. We also should have drew Italy. We need more involvement from our CMs. Otherwise we are going to get no where. Koulouris, Mitroglou, Durmisaj and Pavlidis are good enough to put them away I believe. It’s just that we need 2 midfielders to control the game and be involved in the attacking play. Also some one to back up Fortounis. I’m grateful to have Fortounis but he isn’t good enough to do it all himself. No one is in this team. Our lack of options and quality at CM/CDM is the main reason we are not winning games. 

The CBs are of top quality and we have good depth. They can’t do it all. Also they are human, if you are getting bombarded by the opposition most of the time your defence will crack and open. The defensive play on both a team level and individual level need to improve but we are going to have to suffer for the time being because of the lack of quality options in the middle. Players like Kante, Bakayoko, Veratti, Pogba, Jorginho, Pjanic even Guilherme of Olympiacos are of top quality. Players who can control the game and hold possession.

• Like it 1

On 8/3/2019 at 2:37 PM, Bardouuu said:

GREAT NEWS GUYS! Today I woke up from a dream that we beat Finland 4-0! Obviously disappointed to wake up and realize it was only a dream but I will take it as a sign!  Haha

If that’s what you call a great dream I feel sorry for you. Lol. My good ones usually involve actresses of the opposite sex. 

@Dean97 I think you’re been bit harsh on Zeca, he puts in big time and most of the time is running his arse off. Samaris on the other hand has been a huge liability, with costly turn overs and lost possession, his output has been nowhere near Zeca’s. 

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 1

5 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

The main reason we are losing is faulty defensive play on both a team level and an individual level....i.e. stupid game strategies, lack of effort and stupid player decisions. If you don't give up goals you don't lose, if you don't score goals you don't win. The team has to start with not losing (not giving up crappy goals) and then try to win by somehow scoring, which has always been a problem. The coach can mitigate the defensive problems with his setup but if the players don't put in the effort there isn't much he can do except change players and hope for the best. On another note Sokrates and Manolas  et al better step it up now that they got Angelo canned and perform like world-beaters....the pressure is now on them with no room for excuses....the team better tighten up defensively in general or they will become a complete joke (if that hasn't already happened).

Great statement regarding Sokratis and Manolas. They better start playing like the world class defenders they are. They were the ones who pretty much got Ange canned so they better step up there game. Sokratis was terrible vs Armenia and the pair have been in poor form for the Ethniki since this campaign began. 

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

That true @AchillesHeel but we have struggled to score against teams lower teams than us. That’s where the midfield comes in and they are supposed to supply meaningful balls forward and create chances themselves. Fortounis has tried and done this himself. There is no real presence in midfield. Defensively they are easy to get passed and I believe Samaris is at fault here. Zeca is relying on his ability to run and tackle. He isn’t threatening with the ball. It’s only been Fortounis most of the time doing the damage. Zeca and Samaris should at least put in defensively. The defenders shouldn’t be totally blamed. 

We should have beaten Armenia. We also should have drew Italy. We need more involvement from our CMs. Otherwise we are going to get no where. Koulouris, Mitroglou, Durmisaj and Pavlidis are good enough to put them away I believe. It’s just that we need 2 midfielders to control the game and be involved in the attacking play. Also some one to back up Fortounis. I’m grateful to have Fortounis but he isn’t good enough to do it all himself. No one is in this team. Our lack of options and quality at CM/CDM is the main reason we are not winning games. 

The CBs are of top quality and we have good depth. They can’t do it all. Also they are human, if you are getting bombarded by the opposition most of the time your defence will crack and open. The defensive play on both a team level and individual level need to improve but we are going to have to suffer for the time being because of the lack of quality options in the middle. Players like Kante, Bakayoko, Veratti, Pogba, Jorginho, Pjanic even Guilherme of Olympiacos are of top quality. Players who can control the game and hold possession.

Zeca is needed because he does a lot of the grunt work. As for Samaris I don't know what he is doing lately for us he constantly gives away the ball when we are in possession and he is a defensive liability. 

Fortounis is amazing on the ball no question. What a shame he got injured in a friendly match with OLY and is out for the remaining qualifiers. 

What's going on with Donis is he healthy to play? 

On 8/2/2019 at 2:37 PM, Greekoz said:

Ange Postecoglou currently sits 2nd in the J league with Yokohama. A comp that is about 2 levels above mls and 3 above Australia. He would wipe the floor with the 3 guys brought in now.

That doesn’t mean anything. The fact of the matter is the players don’t respect a Greek coach let alone a Greek Australian coach. 

9 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Zeca is needed because he does a lot of the grunt work. As for Samaris I don't know what he is doing lately for us he constantly gives away the ball when we are in possession and he is a defensive liability. 

Fortounis is amazing on the ball no question. What a shame he got injured in a friendly match with OLY and is out for the remaining qualifiers. 

What's going on with Donis is he healthy to play? 

Not sure about Donis but apparently he is trying to change clubs... 

9 hours ago, Alphonse said:

@Dean97 I think you’re been bit harsh on Zeca, he puts in big time and most of the time is running his arse off. Samaris on the other hand has been a huge liability, with costly turn overs and lost possession, his output has been nowhere near Zeca’s. 

Zeca dosent stop running and has helped us to a certain point. He isn’t great on the ball though but Is capable of scoring a goal or giving an assist, something Samaris isn’t capable of doing for Greece. I just think Bouchalakis and Kourbelis are a better duo.

8 hours ago, J1078 said:

I’m not really interested in reading his history, I’m more interested in reading what he plans on doing with the team and which players he prefers. He likes playing attacking football something which the team needs to be doing more of in my opinion so we should see.

The two times where Greece showed real character was against Belgium 1-1 and Bosnia 2-2. They played with real intensity and passion. If we can display that attitude in every match where it feels like everything’s on the line then we will see a more ferocious and dominant Greece. They had something to prove in that Belgium game and did just that. If it wasn’t for Tachtsidis red card we would’ve won in my opinion. 

• Like it 1

On 8/5/2019 at 3:41 AM, Dean97 said:

I’m not really interested in reading his history, I’m more interested in reading what he plans on doing with the team and which players he prefers. He likes playing attacking football something which the team needs to be doing more of in my opinion so we should see.

Since he loves attacking style then let's see if he brings in Fetfa? 

Was Van't Ship scouting the PAOK game today vs his favourite Ajax? 

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic