Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

21 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Great reply. It makes sense what your saying. I think we need players who are in there mid 20s for example Kourbelis, Pelkas etc, to step up and improve as we need them to lead the new generation. We have no else to rely on. Ninis and Fetfatzidis can definitely help but as I said before I don’t see them wearing the jersey again. It’s as simple as that we need Bouchalakis, Kourbelis, Pelkas, Mantalos and so on to step up.

Hopefully with a new coach these players will be successful and I hope the Ethniki can turn things around in Finland. 

The Greek NT as currently constructed is a disgrace and even worse than the pre-2004 decades.

The players don't care, the management doesn't care and the coaches don't care.

We're still hiring Greek head coaches like a third world country when it's obvious the Greek coaching mentality will never win anything ever. And it seems we're doing that before we are poor as s%$#! and can't afford to find better coaches.

What happened to all Euro 2004 money and good fortune? Pissed away over the last 15 years with absolutely nothing to show for it. No investments in our youth systems to help our future. Just the same old s%$#!. Countries like Belgium are building talented young teams and we're still here twiddling our thumbs. We are so far backward that it's not even worth discussing anymore. The whole thing is a disgrace.

No garbage coach is saving the NT. Fyssas is not saving the NT. We're back to the stone age. Maybe even worse than before. It's over. I throw in the towel on EPO and the NT.

• Like it 3

We don’t really deserve to be this low. Our players are not that bad. The problem is we are not creative and dont support each other enough. We could be worse in my opinion if we were without Sokratis, Manolas and Fortounis. 

Mantalos, Pelkas, Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Koutris and some others are either not consistent or not giving enough. Siopis and Masouras did well in my opinion but it is not enough. Siopis energy helps us and Masouras determination helps us. But still that isn’t going to help if you don’t have proper structure and game plan and that’s where the coach comes in. 

Samaris in my opinion should not get anymore chances. I’ve had enough of him. We are relying on him to do more than what he knows. We can’t expect him to dribble pass players and shoot from distance or give the ball on the plate for our striker. He isn’t that good to be doing that. He hasn’t got the energy either. In my opinion Bouchalakis would be better for this. Better on the ball and can support the attack better. He isn’t the answer you our problems but a slight improvement. Give him a run for the next few games. Zeca can stay. We’ve seen Samaris for 4 years now and we haven’t gone anywhere in fact we are worse.

Our defence is not what it used to be. Sokratis is still needed. But he has to do better as well. Manolas aswell. I think our players lack the toughness to win and get the job done. We had alpha males like Karagounis, Salpingidis, Katsouranis, Torosidis, Dellas, Kapsis, Charisteas and so on who got good experience abroad but also relied on their toughness to get the job done. 

Players today have talent in my opinion. They don’t have the mental toughness to get over the line. They don’t take the game by the balls they do what they can to get by instead of going the extra mile. The way the national team is constructed is a joke. The EPO are a joke. The facilities are not good enough. They never were. We were lucky to have coaches like Rehaggel and Santos. They knew our limitations and what needed to be done to win. These days the game has been taken to a new level and is tactically advanced. We need more than an organised defence and gritty play. We need creativity and speed. We need players who can hold the ball and play balls through the gaps. 

We haven’t adapted. We need a coach to slowly build us to play great attacking football. Start by organising the back then organise the midfield and so on. A good coach should organise the team better and know who to play in attack. The players in the middle are the one that will get organised moving forward.

I don’t know what the actual answer is for this team but if we can implentment more toughness and bravery to our players than we will get somewhere. 

Also to add we have the talent to beat teams like Armenia, Estonia etc. We can even hold our own against teams level with us in talent like Bosnia for example. We can also give a good fight to teams better than us such as Belgium. 

• Like it 1

18 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Top 10 in fifa world rankings ofcourse..the Ethnics were  11 in the world afew years back..

Those rankings were a bit of a stretch. At no point was Greece ever really a top 10 team. Probably not even top 20.

And they probably won't even be top 50 soon enough.

• Like it 1

22 hours ago, Dean97 said:

We don’t really deserve to be this low. Our players are not that bad. The problem is we are not creative and dont support each other enough. We could be worse in my opinion if we were without Sokratis, Manolas and Fortounis. 

Mantalos, Pelkas, Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Koutris and some others are either not consistent or not giving enough. Siopis and Masouras did well in my opinion but it is not enough. Siopis energy helps us and Masouras determination helps us. But still that isn’t going to help if you don’t have proper structure and game plan and that’s where the coach comes in. 

Samaris in my opinion should not get anymore chances. I’ve had enough of him. We are relying on him to do more than what he knows. We can’t expect him to dribble pass players and shoot from distance or give the ball on the plate for our striker. He isn’t that good to be doing that. He hasn’t got the energy either. In my opinion Bouchalakis would be better for this. Better on the ball and can support the attack better. He isn’t the answer you our problems but a slight improvement. Give him a run for the next few games. Zeca can stay. We’ve seen Samaris for 4 years now and we haven’t gone anywhere in fact we are worse.

Our defence is not what it used to be. Sokratis is still needed. But he has to do better as well. Manolas aswell. I think our players lack the toughness to win and get the job done. We had alpha males like Karagounis, Salpingidis, Katsouranis, Torosidis, Dellas, Kapsis, Charisteas and so on who got good experience abroad but also relied on their toughness to get the job done. 

Players today have talent in my opinion. They don’t have the mental toughness to get over the line. They don’t take the game by the balls they do what they can to get by instead of going the extra mile. The way the national team is constructed is a joke. The EPO are a joke. The facilities are not good enough. They never were. We were lucky to have coaches like Rehaggel and Santos. They knew our limitations and what needed to be done to win. These days the game has been taken to a new level and is tactically advanced. We need more than an organised defence and gritty play. We need creativity and speed. We need players who can hold the ball and play balls through the gaps. 

We haven’t adapted. We need a coach to slowly build us to play great attacking football. Start by organising the back then organise the midfield and so on. A good coach should organise the team better and know who to play in attack. The players in the middle are the one that will get organised moving forward.

I don’t know what the actual answer is for this team but if we can implentment more toughness and bravery to our players than we will get somewhere. 

Also to add we have the talent to beat teams like Armenia, Estonia etc. We can even hold our own against teams level with us in talent like Bosnia for example. We can also give a good fight to teams better than us such as Belgium. 

That's right the EPO messed things up with the hire of Ranieri the guy is a clown and didn't take the job seriously. When Greece had tough focused coaches like Rehagel & Santos who knew what they were doing and stuck to the right tactics and played to the strengths of the NT the results don't lie. Euro championship where the team stifled amazing talented sides like Spain France, Czech Republic and Portugal. Countries such as England who had there so called "Golden generation" during the same time fell flat and couldn't even reach a semi final. With Santos the team was consistently obtaining results and qualifying for world cup and Euro's. 

The EPO needs to stop hiring these mid tier coaches and find someone who is credible and can work within our style. 

4 hours ago, Olympiakara10 said:

Those rankings were a bit of a stretch. At no point was Greece ever really a top 10 team. Probably not even top 20.

And they probably won't even be top 50 soon enough.

I agree. 

Realistically I think talent wise we are a top 20 team, 30 max. Our results haven’t shown our true abilities. Some are not that talented like Bakasetas but we have good enough players to be at tournaments. I truly think we lack a proper attacking 8 in the middle and a real solid deep playmaker. We’ve got pit bulls and hard tacklers in midfield but we need someone smarter and better with the ball in the middle. 

We also need a better number 10 I think also. When Fortounis is out we need someone better or equal. Pelkas can be better but that only depends on time. Androutsos or Bouchalakis can fill the 8 role for now as we have no one better but we will probably see Zeca instead. We need a smart thinker and ball player at number 8 for the attack. Some one also to work better with the 10 which should be Pelkas for now. We only have Androutsos or Bouchalakis for that 8 role in my opinion. 

Everywhere else we are fine at in my opinion. We could use a new up and coming solid player for RB. Also some competition at ST. Hopefully Koulouris and Kampetsis are on fire this season. 

• Like it 1

He won’t last and we will be going through this entire process of finding a new coach all over again. Does the EPO not realize it’s costing them more money to have to pay out contracts of coaches they fired rather then spending more for a top rated coach that will cost more initially but less in the long run..

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

He won’t last and we will be going through this entire process of finding a new coach all over again. Does the EPO not realize it’s costing them more money to have to pay out contracts of coaches they fired rather then spending more for a top rated coach that will cost more initially but less in the long run..

God I hope he works out. The EPO is still paying Anastasiadis and Skibbe. They also wasted money on the fool Ranieri for a disastrous 4 game run in Euro 2016 qualification. 

• Like it 1

I’ve always said that’s whats best. There are great Greek Omogenis abroad that have great sports administration experience.

Can start by having a government free organisation and independent president of the Super League, never understood how a club president is always picked ?

So Van Schip, Valkanis and Winter?

2 coaches who could barely cut it in the Australian league and Winter from memory who had a laughable stint in his only senior role in mls.

dont get me wrong I love Valkanis and his family from Melbourne but this is rock bottom, they may as well be picking randoms off the street.

Van the Skip, has a coaching philosophy. Press high up the pitch and attack with speed on the counter. He has a Greek style of head too.  I hope  the Greek players accept this guy. Us forumers though..forget-tit! He won't pick 6 attacking midfielders and play them as Wingers and Fullbacks like the other ameteurs before him

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

Well it’s not like people are lining up to coach this sack of s%$#! team. When you go through that many coaches in a span of 4 years, then you have to ask yourself how bad these players really are. 

And that Ang P guy from Australia? Please. He did well in the Australian league and coached the Australians well. Big deal. My 13 year old can start for any Australian league team, and I could coach Australia to beat Fiji, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu. Please. 

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic