Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

8 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

I just had a thought. Does it even matter who the next coach will be? The reason I am saying this is because the new coach will probably be controlled by the EPO anyways, just like Skibbe. Am I wrong?

I was thinking the same thing... Can anyone remember if Raneri or Makaranian (cant remember his name) Had Tziolis called up and playing?? I cant remember at all... I'm hoping a new coach will have the freedom to call up who he wants..  

I wanted Tziolis called up during Ranieris tenure. I guess it was Markarian. Yes, I clearly remember now that he was in the starting XI against Poland which was the last game of Katsouranis for the Ethniki. Katsouranis was the best player on the pitch while Tziolis was... well, good enough. To be fair, he didnt play against Faroe Islands when we lost to them under Markarian. And he didnt play against Hungary.

• Like it 1

27 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Unless Ronaldo, Neymar Messi or Mbappe turn Greek you can have any coach you want. Skibbe is a horrible coach but aside from maybe 3 or 4 players the others are horrible as well

For sure the team has issues and we only have a few good players but realistically we never had a “Neymar,Messi or Mbappe” and we never will and most teams won’t.. All we want from a new coach is to play our best players possible and create a system where the players look like they know what they are doing out there.. A good system with a few good players sounded by other players that fall into the coaches system and play as unit can also be successful.. PS in 2004 we never had the the players you mentioned above either.. So saying you can’t be successful unless you have one superstore is not true at all. It helps but I think we do have some talent if it’s utiluzed the right way..

Edited by J1078

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I just had a thought. Does it even matter who the next coach will be? The reason I am saying this is because the new coach will probably be controlled by the EPO anyways, just like Skibbe. Am I wrong?

Good point we could get a Mourinho and they would control him like a puppet. We would still see Tziolis selected ? 

34 minutes ago, J1078 said:

For sure the team has issues and we only have a few good players but realistically we never had a “Neymar,Messi or Mbappe” and we never will and most teams won’t.. All we want from a new coach is to play our best players possible and create a system where the players look like they know what they are doing out there.. A good system with a few good players sounded by other players that fall into the coaches system and play as unit can also be successful.. PS in 2004 we never had the the players you mentioned above either.. So saying you can’t be successful unless you have one superstore is not true at all. It helps but I think we do have some talent if it’s utiluzed the right way..

I somewhat agree with you. But remember back then most of those players were playing in Greece and the Greek league back then was a top 5 European league. Now it’s one of the worst. So these players that play in the Greek league may look good but really they’re nothing special. To be honest, I’m 46 years old and I think if I played striker or oly aek or paok I’d score against Xanthi, and Ergotelis and so on. 

To the people saying that we will never have a player like Messi, Mbappe, etc.. well why not? Look at Croatia, tiny nation yet producing footballers like Modric. Is it because Greeks are genetically inferior athletes? I think not. Football culture in Greece is both defeatist and not conducive to developing those types of players. A change in culture, brought forward by a national academy and proper coaching staff would be able to do great things. If you want to look on a smaller scale, heck look at Iceland! They got to Euro 2016 and WC 2018 because of proper footballing infrastructure developing their youth players. 

• Like it 1

On 7/17/2016 at 11:17 AM, georgelaz said:

from ranieri, markarian, skibbe. skibbe seems the best.

santos is better than all though.

Would be really nice to make a world cup quarter final or semi, heck, win to g*****eno

Ever since the day Ranieri took the helm the NT has gone down a very tough road. Finishing last in a cream puff Euro 2016 qualifying group was unimaginable even without the services of karagounis. Now we just saw another similar crap show vs Finland maybe one of the most disjointed losses since the losses to the Faroe Islands.

5 hours ago, Soprano76 said:

To the people saying that we will never have a player like Messi, Mbappe, etc.. well why not? Look at Croatia, tiny nation yet producing footballers like Modric. Is it because Greeks are genetically inferior athletes? I think not. Football culture in Greece is both defeatist and not conducive to developing those types of players. A change in culture, brought forward by a national academy and proper coaching staff would be able to do great things. If you want to look on a smaller scale, heck look at Iceland! They got to Euro 2016 and WC 2018 because of proper footballing infrastructure developing their youth players. 

I dont know why we are not getting what your saying. I don't understand why Greece aren't doing the things that they are suppose to do in order progress as a footballing nation. Things need to change and fast. 

19 hours ago, Dean97 said:

As well they should since they are responsible for the national team.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:55 PM, Soprano76 said:

Those are special generational players. Countries like France, Spain, Brazil, etc consistently produce world class players and out of those world class players come a handful of special ones like Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Neymar, etc. The reason why is that their country's sports culture, clubs, academies are so refined that they produce a high number of quality footballers. It has little to do with genetics. Greece has somewhat the culture, but the clubs and academies are nowhere near par. 

• Like it 1

Then what do we say about Manolas and Sokratis. They've probably had to work even harder by themselves to get where they are. I think Manolas edges Sokratis for talent but are both solid defenders. A player like Retsos is doing good for himself as he is only 19 and progressing ina better environment and league. These players probably different have  the best support as other players from better football countries. 

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic