Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

The players and their enablers at EPO are absolutely responsible for the train wreck post world cup.

These uninspiring clowns couldn't beat the Faroe Islands or Luxembourg yet they then go back to their top clubs playing Champions League, Serie A, Bundesliga etc.

It hasn't really been suggested but surely something sinister has been occuring behind the scenes. These guys being paid to lose? Gambling syndicates involved? EPO have some bizarre plan to destroy Greek football?

In any case we scapegoated Ranieri and to a lesser extent Karagounis although the latter behaved poorly and was never suited to the role he was given.

• Like it 2

That whole scenario shows what EPO is like. The media has been complicit as well by not asking hard questions. Schuster would have been perfect.

Tsanas had some success with the youth teams but why persist with his appointment and make that the deal breaker? No professional worth his salt would accept that condition.

I hope Skibbe figures stuff out or we will continue to see the downward trajectory of the Ethniki.

Losing Karagounis, who even started off the bench multiple times near the end, must have had a huge influence as a player. As soon as he went, the Ethniki Collapsed into a re-building phase, lets say.

Coinsidence? Anyway, it would of served Greece well if Santos phased in generation next, on multiple occasions, leading up to World Cup 2014. I know this has been mentioned a lot.

It has taken this long to get some sort of good teamwork on the pitch, resulting in a win and a draw in hostile conditions recently.

The re-building may not be over yet. Greece deserves to be fighting in the Euros! The attitudes of many of the players don't deserve to, and they are not. The successful Santos age didn't invest near enough for this failed Euro campaign. I won't rest on the idea that we just didn't have the talent this time 'round. 

Losing Karagounis, who even started off the bench multiple times near the end, must have had a huge influence as a player. As soon as he went, the Ethniki Collapsed into a re-building phase, lets say.

How do you "start" off the bench??

• Like it 1

Coinsidence? Anyway, it would of served Greece well if Santos phased in generation next, on multiple occasions, leading up to World Cup 2014. I know this has been mentioned a lot.

It has taken this long to get some sort of good teamwork on the pitch, resulting in a win and a draw in hostile conditions recently.

The re-building may not be over yet. Greece deserves to be fighting in the Euros! The attitudes of many of the players don't deserve to, and they are not. The successful Santos age didn't invest near enough for this failed Euro campaign. I won't rest on the idea that we just didn't have the talent this time 'round. 

We are a 10million pop. country with economical problems.Youngsters are displeased with the whole corruption thing in Greece and probably lose interest. Why cant u accept that we dont have talent ? Uruguay is a 6 million country.

Forlan, Suarez , Cavani have been maybe the best attack any national team has had in my opinion, No other team could be fuller in the striker position.

Forlan retired , Suarez 29, Cavani 29. They ll both me 32 in the next world cup.

Now lets take a look at their defenders, Godin 30 already, Caceres 29, Maxi Pereira 31.

Do you believe that they ll create players capable of continuing the successes of the previous footballing era of their nation ? Doubt it.

Their best playerswill all be slower than a snail. They ll get in a transforming era and in 4-5 years they ll have a legit squad again.

Thats exactly that might happen to us. We have acountry which ,a fter 2004 made football a tradition. Almost every boy has been signed by their parents to play football. Cant believe that we just dont have a talent ? You should Believe it. What I cannot believe is the NT not picking up itself.

They lost lots of money from not entering the Euros. So im sure the EPO who are fckin goldiggers, will make anything possible to make up for that. For themselves, and their pockets. Not for our joy/pride. Just for themselves. 

• Like it 1

Every country goes through re-building ofcourse. Some hardly struggle, others take a while to get back to it. The young guys in Hellas would aspire to succeed due to the poverty I would imagine, like South American youngsters do. I hope they know their futures aren't at coffee shops chasing skirt, cause skirt won't go with dreamers, only with guys aspiring and seen to be going forward. 

Myself I'm a guilty of repeating things.

As a team we cannot get scored on , it is just too difficult for us to score 2 goals in a match.

I remember alefantos (yes him) years ago talking about how Rehagel had the right idea to play

a 5-3-2 on the road in Malta because he was smart enough to know if we get scored on , it will

be extremely difficult for us to score 2 goals. The same thing still applies today .

This is greek soccer .

No we never had this problem in the past though. We were a rabble and disorganised but we had a certain level of attacking flare. What changed under Rehhagel was that he put an emphasis on organization and defence which totally came at the expense of attacking football.

In the past we had decent attacking players who could create and score some of our chances. The trade-off under Rehhagel was that we were not going to cop cheap goals like we did.

A strong defence suits our style. We have world class defenders. The challenge is to transition to attack more efficiently and have a plan. The last Euro qualifying showed that we could dominate everyone in the group with possession but we were clueless when it came to creating chances and penetrating even poor defences.

There were matches where we went a whole half without setting foot in the opposition penalty box or shooting with any purpose. This needs to change under Skibbe.

• Like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

What? Leicester 7 points clear at the business end of the EPL season? Ethniki need a coach like this, oh, we did have that coach. What if the so called star players didn't buy in. Nah, lets blame the coach, it's easier.  Claudio's doormat must be blue & white.

• Like it 1

That was my point. It doesn't make sense to say we should play to our strengths. Otto rarely used 3 CB's. He packed the midfield in 2004.

the only time I distinctly remember where we used 3 CB's was against Argentina in the world cup.

I am hoping the coach drops this madness once and for all!

Football formations are like trends & fashion & in 2016 this back 3 with the wing backs rather than traditional right & left back has returned. It was trendy back in the 1990's & made a comeback at Brazil 2014 with eventual champion Germany using it. The idea is in attack the wingback are attacking midfielders or wingers & in defense fullbacks. One of the best Greek teams to miss out on World Cup qualification the team during qualifying for France 1998 used this formation. Apostolakis & Georgatos were great wing backs at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Well played Claudio. You must have some ability for coaching all the way into the history books. Our players get beaten by Faroe Islands-twice. Miss the Euros. He is laughing now. Skibbe can be his assistant if Claudio is asked nicely.

Edited by ausgreek

• 2 months later...

Doesn't invalidate my point. The only surprise here should be that he is surprised that he isn't given godlike control. Due diligence should be done on both sides (so, hopefully someone at Lazio feels some pain over this too).

Since 12 Oct 15 (after the Euro abominations), Greece drew with Turkey at home, in hostile conditions, have won 3 (Hungary, Montenegro, Australia), lost 2 Iceland when they were up 2-0, and Australia, with some stars missing), 3 wins, 2 losses 1 draw is not too bad. Fair preparations for the Netherlands friendly, leading into WCQ. I'm not sure from when Skibbe took charge, might of been Montenegro but the evidence is that they are building steadily.

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic