Phantis Forums

South Melbourne Hellas

On 15/12/2016 at 10:17 AM, Original Sydney said:

Heard that the A League will expand in 2018-19 BUT they don't want another team that's city located, need to be out of city centre as they don't want fans jumping ship from team to team, not looking good for Souths, hope this info is wrong.

source?

Some people have said that, others are saying fox sports wants 3rd sydney and melbourne to boost ratings and provide more derbies. This will also be more attractive to whoever is the fta broadcaster. Regional teams tend to be a big burden on the competition. Wellington is also likely to get thrown out soon.

To be honest the whole thing is a joke..even if south get in. Absolutely nothing organic about the sport here. Even as a hellas fan id get bored playing the mariners every few weeks.

Well if that's the case Melbourne will never get a 3rd team, all top line sport here is played in the cbd area, with the afl taking over Etihad stadium soon we are the only ones who actually have a stadium outside AAMI park, no east/west divide like Sydney here either, they may give it to Geelong but that would be a laughable failure.

honestly can't see any of these proposed bids being a success, ours is the best of the lot, all bias aside the difference with ours is the club would be the backbone of it all, all the others will get crippled by stadium deals like a 2nd Brisbane team for eg, none of them have social club facilities, junior teams etc, our set up is ready made.

anyhow now that they finalised the broadcast deal it wouldn't surprise me if they stick with the 10 teams, the whole expansion talk was probably based around that.

I find it as an excuse they don't want another team located in the City centre, why do they have both Victory and City there? That's splitting fans already.

I agree with Greekoz, Souths have everything required and a stadium something other new teams don't have, plus they have all other things in place and also have the cash flow. But I feel if they didn't give Souths the right to take over heart back then why would they allow them in now as South Melbourne? Time will tell I guess.

1 hour ago, Greekoz said:

Well if that's the case Melbourne will never get a 3rd team, all top line sport here is played in the cbd area, with the afl taking over Etihad stadium soon we are the only ones who actually have a stadium outside AAMI park, no east/west divide like Sydney here either, they may give it to Geelong but that would be a laughable failure.

honestly can't see any of these proposed bids being a success, ours is the best of the lot, all bias aside the difference with ours is the club would be the backbone of it all, all the others will get crippled by stadium deals like a 2nd Brisbane team for eg, none of them have social club facilities, junior teams etc, our set up is ready made.

anyhow now that they finalised the broadcast deal it wouldn't surprise me if they stick with the 10 teams, the whole expansion talk was probably based around that.

expansion will happen..

Ironically I don't think our junior set up/womams team/ social club/ etc matter..

what we have going for us is that we appear to be cashed up, stable, ready to go now, AND there appears to be momentum to blend the old game with the new game...and this is being supported by high profile people like Bosnich and others.

If the new teams are to be announced as early as March 2017....Then Geelong have a lot of catch up to do...because they have been very poor in marketing and selling their franchise..I know very little about their bid..

I'd say Woolongong and Canberra are South's biggest challengers 

As far as I know canberra isn't even bidding.

luxbet has a southern Sydney franchise and Geelong as short priced favourites, how they came to that conclusion I'm not sure, leak from ffa? Are the ffa working behind the scenes with such consortiums and told them to keep on the down low?

history shows this is how it plays out, 8 years ago it was south this south that, out of nowhere they gave the license to the heart consortium,. Nobody in Melb knew anything about them, that's how the ffa operate it.

south were NEVER a chance 8 years ago.....

South were NOT ready....the mood was against them....there was no swing of momentum....

No South fan even talked about it 8 years ago.....it was really a poor bid...

Every south fan I talk to today..is very positive.....there is a mood that even non South..non Greeks see the merit for the first time.

South has received a s%$#! load of coverage from mainstream media...even Bogan media.

I agree south were never a chance 8 years ago, but at the time the Pr work was coming from south similar to this time around, nobody knew anything about Melbourne heart, I was actually at the presentation the club did back in 2008 to sell the idea to the members and I remember walking out of it thinking no other bid can match this, then before you know it we have a team called heart based out of an absolute dump at Latrobe uni. I don't think the bid was bad, it had money behind it back then, but this was pre ffa cup days and the dislike towards ethnic clubs appeared far greater. I remember talking to people and they would say it doesn't matter how good it is the ffa have already agreed to give the license to another group before the bidding process even started, they were right.

this time the bid is much better coordinated, bill papestergiadis has a lot of influence around town, he even has the Greek newspapers backing the bid! The same papers that usually laugh at us. One of the key investors is actually sponsoring the npl team this year. So it's definately no gimmick, especially as bill helped the club lock down the stadium for the next 40 years on very generous lease terms.

i still think the clubs best chance will be to take the wellington Phoenix license, they can't be touched until 2020 though, we will see 5 new teams enter in this 6 year broadcast arrangement, it's just a matter if they see south as one of the five, melb city struggling to draw crowds is not helping, even though I think south could go past them straight away.

tasmania I can't see getting in, their bid sounds desperate which means they don't have the backing of the ffa or fox, no football code of any kind will plonk a team in Tasmania.

im sticking with the bookies favourites south Sydney/Cronulla and Geelong, when the ffa release the criteria for expansion you will see these 2 come out of the woodwork.

Edited by Greekoz

2 hours ago, RED SHERIFF said:

South has received a s%$#! load of coverage from mainstream media...even Bogan media.

South Melbourne Bogans FC ?  Their chances of being included may increase if they change their name to something less ethnic.

11 bids? Wow didn't hear that.

It would be a huge m*****a to give it to another Brisbane team.

Geelong well that's always been on the cards, not sure how strong their bid is though.

Canberra, well being the capital city it would be logical to have them in but how long will their crowds last? I think everyone got excited by Canberra Olympic's FFA Cup run hence why many may push for it.

Southern Sydney has again always been talked about and would probably have the support behind it, that would be funny if they got in poor old Sydney FC would lose more fans hahaha

Tassie, well the less said the better. If they go that way may aswell put a Darwin team in also.

Don't think Canberra is bidding, they seem to have hooked up with the Mariners.

wollongong is a huge threat, should have been in from the start instead of central coast.

geelong worries me as well, huge 36,000 capacity stadium that's only used half a dozen times a year, has hosted athletio Madrid and acl games, if they can get a good lease that will get them over the line. I don't think they would be viable long term though, the AFL team was struggling financially up until recent years and the president has even said that 2 pro teams in an area that's been doing it tough lately will be difficult.

if Geelong gets a cricket 20/20 team which appears to be far more advanced at this point then that would end the idea of an a league team, so it may come down to that.

either way south would be extreme outsiders. Which is a joke in itself when you consider where the rest are at.

Edited by Greekoz

No doubt south have the best bid..but are still outsiders...

I am not sold on Kardinia Park being a good long term soccer venue..watching soccer at footy ovals is terrible...a pet hate of mine and many many others..

How and why Marriners got in the first place...and are still there is amazing!!

A-League aspirants South Melbourne have lined up Real Madrid greats Roberto Carlos and Chendo as their coach and technical director-in-waiting should they be granted entry into an expended competition.
By
Dave Lewis

21 Dec 2016 - 9:44 PM  UPDATED YESTERDAY 9:44 PM

Chendo, 55 - Madrid’s general manager and an assistant coach under Zinedine Zidane - is South’s would-be technical director, while 2002 FIFA World Cup winning Brazilian Roberto Carlos has been earmarked as South's inaugural A-League coach.

The potential coup is testament to the club’s soaring ambitions, with advisory board chairman Bill Papastergiadis meeting Chendo - Miguel Porlán Noguera, who made 363 appearances for Real and 26 for Spain – on a fact-finding mission to the club’s training base three months ago.

Roberto Carlos, who won four La Liga titles and three UEFA Champions Leagues with the Galactictos, has been on the lookout for a coaching role since leaving Indian Super League outfit Delhi Dynamos in 2015.

The 43 year old was initially linked with a stint in Australia before exiting India, having previously managed Akhisar Belediyespor and Sivasspor in Turkey.

He has also worked with Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.

“We have also commenced negotiations with Roberto Carlos as coach. Roberto has also said he would be interested in coaching South,” said Papastergiadis.

9d6f688f-caef-4fa3-9815-88dade72d5d8_1480578062.jpeg?itok=-uu363_V&mtime=1480578203
South Melbourne ready for A-League
South Melbourne Football Club are confident they will be successful in a bid to join the A-League after meeting with Football Federation Australia.

“He thinks Australia is a growing football country and he would like to be a part of it, and that South would be a great entry into the league.”

The link between South and Real Madrid has been forged with clashes between their junior teams, with Papastergiadis working behind the scenes to take it to another level.

“I met with Chendo at Real Madrid headquarters back in September and spoke with him at length," he said. "He was very interested in a technical development role at SMFC.

“He said he knew of SMFC and I would love the challenge of working with a club of our standing."

Chendo declared: "It is the Oceania club of the Century and has excellent junior players.

"I could implement a whole club training program from the seven-year-olds to the seniors. It would be a great challenge and experience for me work with SMFC.

“I have a vast amount of knowledge from working in the greatest club in the world; I would like to make use of that in a club that has a proud history in Australia.

"When I toured Australia with Real Madrid a few years ago, I fell in love with the country. I think Melbourne is marvellous."

south_melbourne.jpg?itok=oItZFya8&mtime=1481686274
South Melbourne target marquee signings as part of A-League bid
A-League aspirants South Melbourne have sounded out agents over marquee signings and a marquee coach as the club ramps up their case for inclusion in an expanded national competition.

Chendo has spent his entire career with Real Madrid and was a member of the Spanish team in two World Cups.

He has won seven La Liga crowns, two Copa del Reys, one Champions League and two UEFA Cups.

Papastergiadis, who was also introduced to Zidane and Real’s players on his Spanish odyssey, believes the willingness of Roberto Carlos and Chendo to embrace South adds a layer of kudos to their bid to join the A-League elite when the competition jumps to 12 teams in 2018-2019.

“We are excited and thrilled that we have some of the greatest names in international football who wish to be a part of South’s resurgence," he said. "The club’s reputation allows it to attract some of the biggest names in international football.

“South should be the next A-League club.

"It has the best football facilities in Australia, the best junior development program, set the attendance records in the previous NSL and now has people with the best international qualifications wanting to lead the club.

"The A-League needs a club of South’s stature."

Tasmania is untapped for a reason, if the afl wont even go there that tells you a lot. Its 500k in total but its split between north and south, this team would supposedly be based in hobart, thats about about 250k people. To give you an idea at how niche these proposals are like tassie and geelong..the greek population in melb alone almost outdoes them.

I think the south bid is getting a little annoying as well. But i think theyre just rubbing it in the faces of the other bidders who are well behind. At least the links with chendo/carlos are real, tasmania releases a press release saying arnold would be interested in coaching them. The next day arnold laughs it off and makes a border line derogatory joke about tasmanians lol.

• Like it 1