Phantis Forums

Other Teams/Leagues Discussion

Blackhawk

On 9/23/2020 at 4:48 PM, Blackhawk said:

Watching the Olympiakos - Omonia game and Olympiakos is winning with a "moufa" penalty. I would be ashamed to be winning games in that manner. The refs did not even consult VAR. 

Go ahead a be a hater, lord knows it can be fun at times. BUT please do us a favor and at least be accurate, we do not need to be reading lies and such. VAR was consulted and the penalty was green lighted by VAR and the referee. What game where you watching exactly?

14 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

Well, I will admit, that was a harsh call on the Serbian player. 

TBH I did think that the ref was going to call an offensive foul when he blew the whistle. This PK is not the difference maker in the tie anyway, tough luck for them... it happens all the time.

Thank's for calling me a liar. Nice compliment from you.

I know exactly what game I watched, and there was no VAR check. There was no indication during the broadcast that VAR was used and this is confirmed by the Omonia coach.

Μπεργκ: «Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω γιατί δεν είδε το φάουλ το VAR»
https://www.sdna.gr/podosfairo/761598_mpergk-den-mporo-na-katalabo-giati-den-eide-faoyl-var 

The sad thing is that Olympiakos was the much better team on the pitch and they did not need the refs help to win the game. 

• Like it 2

On 9/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, Blackhawk said:

Thank's for calling me a liar. Nice compliment from you.

I know exactly what game I watched, and there was no VAR check. There was no indication during the broadcast that VAR was used and this is confirmed by the Omonia coach.

The sad thing is that Olympiakos was the much better team on the pitch and they did not need the refs help to win the game. 

To be honest I did not see the VAR being done, but I have seen the highlights again to check, on the streaming service I have (DAZN) commentator clearly says PK is given the green light by ref and VAR also. My apologies for calling you a liar, you might be right in the end. I was going off what I heard from the broadcast, and had no reason to not believe him.

They bought Zahavi too.  No big name and already 33 years old but saw him playing, assistingand scoring last two EL qualifiers. He might cause us troubles. And we must not forget he was second topscorer in the EURO 2020 qualifiers with 11 goals (behind Harry Kane) for a team that ended fifth in their group with 16 goals in 10 matches. 

Two bits of trending news today that are pretty interesting.

First off - a possible expansion of teams in the Champions League from 32 to 36. Teams in marginal leagues (hopefully Greece in a few years) may have a slightly easier time qualifying, assuming Benfica/Ajax will now always get in automatically 😉

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/10/20/champions-league-expansion-planned-full-details/

The other news is in regards to a new European Premier League, which has been rumored for a long time now. These games appear to be meant to be played during "the regular season," but it's not immediately clear if this means during the domestic league dates (weekends / "Englische Woche") or if it would be more like current CL/EL competitions.

Current rumor is that relegation for the founders will be removed for a VERY long time, because Europeans have finally realized how much more money the NFL makes. It seems to me that this would bump the CL down a peg, with a corresponding effect on the EL and EL2. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

Horrible idea but hey if they can make it stick good luck to them.  I still remember the shock I got when I found out the LA Dodgers were like from ... Brooklyn.  Wtf, ha ha.  Let's just pick up PAOK and move them to Athens and call them a different name.  But it works in the US.

UEFA and the Leagues at some point will need to draw a line in the sand.  This idea keeps getting pushed every few years so I don't know if it's just a media beat up so the big clubs can get even MOAR money and power (their avarice just can't be satiated) or if these big clubs really want this to happen.

The interesting thing is what could UEFA and the Leagues do ?  Could they, if they wanted to go the nuclear option, ban those nations from participating in the Euros and Nations League ?  Or if we want to more granular, not allow players who play in the new league to play in these tournaments ?  Could the Leagues of each nation ban said clubs from participating in their domestic leagues ?

The reaction if this went ahead would definitely be interesting.  European fans are shall we say more invested (for evidence search youtube with keywords "PAOK" and "hooliganism") so it would be interesting to see the overall reaction, or will they just take pay off the domestic teams (here kids, grabs some of the crumbs that fell off the table on your way out) and it's all done and dusted.

It really would be the biggest change in European football ever.

this is the reason I no longer watch champions league once we are no longer involved. If I wanted to watch the same teams over and over again ad nauseum I'd be happy, but variety is the spice of life. 

the only 'big' club I have a soft spot for is BVB because they genuinely seem to care for their supporters

Likewise I've lost interest in the CL now.  Not sure if it's because the excitement has worn off or because of the big money involved.  It was good in the beginning when you could have teams like Ajax, Deportivo come out of nowhere with great teams.  Now, the big money has been funnelled for too long to the same teams and the concentration of money has made it relatively boring.  At least to me, everyone has their view.

One thing is for sure, the big clubs want it all - they want this new league plus to be able to play domestically.  The only way they will back down is if UEFA gets involved and then there is a huge backlash from the fans.

• Like it 1

13 hours ago, Bananas said:

I still remember the shock I got when I found out the LA Dodgers were like from ... Brooklyn.  Wtf, ha ha.  Let's just pick up PAOK and move them to Athens and call them a different name.  But it works in the US.

200.gif

If it helps any, many people don't like it here either. Except for those who are getting a new team, I suppose. Eventually, all teams will end up residing in LA, before breaking away again because they realize that nobody there actually likes sports.

• 2 months later...

Mauricio did not return to Greece as he tested positive for covid-19. The game against us was 10 days ago and he hugged every one of our players. 

The $64,000 question: did he infect some of our players or is he infected by one of ours?

I ended up watching bits of the Greek Leicester's game against Lamia. Hilarious scenes with football being played on a pitch that probably has no draining whatsoever (another sign how behind Greek football is).

Skoulas did his best to try and protect Marinakis' subsidiary in the first half but it was to no avail. The second half saw Sundgren play big man against a ball boy and get sent off, while Gama (who it seems only scores from the penalty spot) hit the bar.

The best moment was seeing that pr!*k Matilla chasing down and howling at the referee, who comically tried to reverse the penalty given to Lamia by VAR. That aside, the fact that we are unable to beat teams like Aris (even though it wasn't a penalty we still didn't deserve three points) and Larisa shows how average our team is.

Edited by Athens4

I watched the game as well. Lamia was greatly helped by the atrocious pitch conditions, but in the end they their win was deserved as O Aris could not score even though they dominated the game. The funniest part was the constant dives by o Aris players in the penalty box. What a joke. Guess they got their lessons from their masters.