Phantis Forums

Other Teams/Leagues Discussion

Blackhawk

It will be split into 6 teams for the title and 8 teams for relegation. The title race between the 6 teams will include 5 rounds of football, with the team finishing 1st in the regular season playing all their games at home  (2nd team,  4 at home 1 away, etc.). At least that's the idea that was proposed today.

24 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

It will be split into 6 teams for the title and 8 teams for relegation. The title race between the 6 teams will include 5 rounds of football, with the team finishing 1st in the regular season playing all their games at home  (2nd team,  4 at home 1 away, etc.). At least that's the idea that was proposed today.

That sounds stupid, IMO

That was supposedly one of the ideas for next year's playoffs that I heard on the radio this morning. The whole playoffs idea sounds stupid to me.

However, since they are going with 14 teams, Superleague needs to meet the TV contracts between them and Novasport /ERT where they need to guarantee at least 30 rounds of competition. 

That would be tragic if they did that... Given they need 30 rounds why not leave it at 16 teams instead of dropping to 14 and having to create another 4 rounds (approx) to cover the deal... Having 1 team play all home games... lol they sure know how to kill football in Greece 

• Like it 1

Superleague wants 16 teams, but the idiot secretary of sports Vasilidias is threatening to cut the ERT TV contract from the 7 teams if the league does not go to 14 teams.

Athens βλέπω ότι το παλεύεις να βάλεις μυαλό στους φίλους μας τα σκουλήκια. Είσαι ωραίος.

Δύο Κύπελλα πήραμε, ένα πρωτάθλημα μας κλέψανε, φέτος παίρνουμε πρωτάθλημα, πάμε τελικό Κυπέλλου και χαίρονται που τραυματίστηκε ο Βιεϊρίνια οπότε αυξήθηκαν οι πιθανότητες να μην το πάρουμε κι αυτό. Και κλαίνε που δεν πήρε το πρωτάθλημα το μεγάλο αφεντικό τους. Και μιλάνε για παραρτήματα αυτοί που πήρανε τρεις παίκτες από τον Ολυμπιακό. Και θέλανε και ΗΜΝΣΓ και βγήκε ο Κόκε να μας πει ποιος είναι ο Πρίγιοβιτς. Που αποκλειστήκανε από τον Εργοτέλη και στο χορτάρι ούτε τον Παναθηναϊκό τον τελειωμένο δεν περάσανε. Που λένε για Big 5 και κουραφέξαλα τη στιγμή που ο Ατρόμητος τους έκανε γιο-γιο τους πέταξε δύο φάπες μέσα έξω και χαλαρά.

Και τώρα γυρνάνε και μας λένε πρωτάθλημα των Πρεσπών και πουλήσαμε τη Μακεδονία για να πάρουμε πρωτάθλημα. Κλαίνε μαζί με τ' αδέρφια τους τους γαύρους. Τόσο κλάμα ούτε οι ΑΕΧτσήδες δεν ρίχνουνε που έχουμε και μεγάλη κόντρα τα τελευταία χρόνια.

Ο Ατρόμητος είναι παράρτημα του ΠΑΟΚ. Ο Ατρόμητος που έκοψε βαθμούς στον ΠΑΟΚ. Αλλά τα σκουλήκια δεν είναι παράρτημα του γαύρου. Όχι. Αυτοί πήρανε τρεις παίκτες από Ολυμπιακό και ο Κλιγγόπουλος τους έδωσε 300 χιλιάρικα αλλά δεν είναι παράρτημα. Είναι καθαρή ομάδα. Μεγάλη. Με ψηλά το κεφάλι. Με τίτλους. Με κόσμο. Με διοίκηση ποιοτική. Όχι σαν τον Σαββίδη τον αλήτη.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:14 PM, Blackhawk said:

That was supposedly one of the ideas for next year's playoffs that I heard on the radio this morning. The whole playoffs idea sounds stupid to me.

However, since they are going with 14 teams, Superleague needs to meet the TV contracts between them and Novasport /ERT where they need to guarantee at least 30 rounds of competition. 

If there's going to be a playoff system, everyone should take place, including number one, so 1-7. This ain't a bad idea, that would just ensure that the best team actually wins the league and not the team that had the best record against teams like OFI, but still wouldn't quite eliminate the problem of this weak teams being there. But no s%$#! like one team plays only home games, and the other way, like what the F*** is this s%$#!? And 5 rounds? That's ridiculous? Just let the 14 leagues play itself out, and at the end have an extra few games. Generally speaking, 14 teams are really hard to deal with, if you want everyone to have the same chance (home and away), you end up with a 50 match league.

However I would still prefer a simpler 10 team league where everyone plays each other 4 times, with no playoffs, like in Switzerland, Greece doesn't quite have the number of teams that can remain competitive. And that system woul alienate most of these "filler content" teams.

Edited by Nilaul

Can you imagine the relegation playoffs? Teams like Asteras, Lamia, Panetolikos, Xanthi... These teams have no fans, let's just make them play each other with no big teams coming to town to at least get a decent crowd in those games. Will be awful to watch and there will only be 200-300 people in the stands watching it. Attendances are poor atm, this will just make it worse, for the smaller clubs at least. 

54 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

Can you imagine the relegation playoffs? Teams like Asteras, Lamia, Panetolikos, Xanthi... These teams have no fans, let's just make them play each other with no big teams coming to town to at least get a decent crowd in those games. Will be awful to watch and there will only be 200-300 people in the stands watching it. Attendances are poor atm, this will just make it worse, for the smaller clubs at least. 

That's why I think it would be better to drop the league to even fewer teams,  14 causes too many problems, it means a 28 match league,  and it means that they need to crap out 2 more games due to the contracts, and most attempts to introduce playoff the title race cause too many extra matches, if both teams where to play both home and away, you could have the top 5 competing in the playoffs, but then that would take the chance of number 6 and 7 to potentiality entering Europa league.

So perhaps the solution is to drop the teams even and have everyone play each other 4 times. With 12 teams, we have 44 games, and with 10, 36 games. But the quality of the league would be better, there would be more interesting matches, fuller stadiums, more revenue etc, and no playoff system to complicate things. Right now 14 team league is a weird mid ground, where many solutions just don't quite work out right. 

This is an old article from 2017 about a greek league with 10 teams: https://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/Superleague/super-league-me-10-omades-kai-4-guroys.4501085.html

Edited by Nilaul

Well the person with the crazy playoff idea was elected the new president of Superleague today. Alyssandrou (AEK) defeated the PAOK candidate Makis Gagatsis 8:6. Basically the 3 big Athens teams joined hands together (POK lives and never dies!) to defeat Gagatsis. With the help with some of their puppet teams the were able to get the 8:6 win. 

POK and puppet teams voting for Alyssandrou:

Olympiakos
AEK
Panathinaikos
Aris
Panionios
Lamia
OFI
Apollon

Teams voting for Gagatsis:

PAOK
AO Xanthi
Atromitos
Panaitolikos
AE Larisa
Levadeiakos

Abstaining from voting

PAS Giannina
Asteras Tripoli

16 teams is the perfect number for Greece.  30 rounds done and dusted like we have now.  If you go 14 teams, then by default there must be extra games, which is to say, for whatever reason the sports minister definitely wants play-offs of some kind.  There must be more to it than the sports minister wanting this.  Not being conspiratorial, just saying that he alone wouldn't be enough to push for and get this.  I'd be hiring a private investigator to check his swiss bank account(s).

As for the idea of a title being decided via play-offs, it obviously just feels wrong.  We all "get" that the idea is to have less teams that are "weak", but having a title decided just has a bad smell to it and I don't think you can get rid of that.  I am kind of surprised the clubs haven't pushed back harder.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Bananas said:

If you go 14 teams, then by default there must be extra games, which is to say, for whatever reason the sports minister definitely wants play-offs of some kind.  There must be more to it than the sports minister wanting this. 

It's not the sports minister that wants this. It's novasport and ERT the two TV companies that show Superleague games that set the number of games.

• Like it 1

Interesting situation as far as relegation is concerned with two rounds of soccer remaining.

If we assume (things can change in Greece at the last minute) that 3 teams drop directly and the fourth plays a playoff game with the second team from the Football League, two teams are mathematically already relegated: Apollon Smyrnis and Levadeiakos. The battle in the next two rounds will be between these teams:

10. Larisa                31 points
11. Xanthi                29
12. Tripoli                 29
13. OFI                      28      (playoff series with 2nd team from Football League)
14. PAS Giannina    27      (direct relegation)

Unfortunately it looks like it will be PAS Giannina that will be relegated directly. I also believe that OFI will be saved thanks to their vote in Superleague for the new president and their surprised win away at Panathinaikos, which was part of the overall plan.

Remaining games for th eteams involved:

ROUND 29 

AEK - Larisa
Xanthi - Apollon
OFI - Tripoli
Panionios - PAS Giannina

ROUND 30 

Larisa - Olympiakos
Tripoli - Panionios
Aris - Xanthi
Atromitos - OFI
PAS Giannina - PAOK

Ο Ατρόμητος είναι ομάδα πρότυπο τα τελευταία χρόνια.

Ο Πανιώνιος είναι μία πολύ μεγάλη ομάδα με ιστορία που δυστυχώς διοικείται από βαλτούς και φίλους των μεγάλων ομάδων της Αθήνας. Το ιδανικότερο θα ήταν να καθαρίσουν και να μην βοηθούν τα αφεντικά τους.

You are right Yianko. Atromitos should be the example for other teams. They play to win all the games no matter of the opponent. If you don't thinks so then your are not watching any of their games.

On the other hand we have Panionios with rich history as does Atromitos, but everyone knows that they are basically the puppets of Olympiakos, and now that they secured another season in Superleague they will help other puppets to save themselves.

For that reason I believe that the team that will be relegated is Giannina and the team that will play probably Platanias in the playoff will be OFI unloess they somehow manage to relegate Xanthi.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, Bananas said:

@Yiankos, I am going on strike.  I will not be posting on phantis anymore, unless @ukworm and @Emperor congratulate us on our 3rd championship.

LOL - I see you haven't kept your promise... 

On a serious note:

Go to PAOK website and post your reply here what it reads under "Match Center" and "PAOK Academy".

That speaks volumes about the mentality of this club: basically "now that we got lots of money, let's crush and wipe out all the others".

Until that's removed my friend, no Aris (and Iraklis) fans should be congratulating you, and certainly I - AS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE - won't be.

Edited by ukworm