Phantis Forums

Future Players Of The National Team

Dean97

........................................................Karnezis

Bakakis............................Sokratis...................Manolas............................Torosidis

........................................Samaris...................Tachtsidis/Maniatis

Platellas...........................,......Mantalos/Fortounis..................................?

......................................................Mitroglou

Subs: Kapino, K.Paps, Tzanetoppoulos, Stafylidis, Kone, Pelkas, Bouchalakis,  Aravidis, Giannotas, Klaus 

I think this is a decent side for the near future. The wall at CB, Bakakis is a very good RB and would have been a regular had it not been for injury, Torosidis has played at LB for previous clubs, we have nobody better in that experience, his experience helps.

Midfield is probably our worst position in terms of quality, I know a lot of people have been raving about Samaris while at Benfica but for the NT he has not been as productive, same as the rest of the team however. Still tho I feel he should start and hopefully eventually carry his club form into national team.

Tachtsidis and Maniatis I have not seen play a lot recently, I know Maniatis is out injured but we need experience in there, I cant think of any other CM's that could start ahead of these 2 guys.

Platellas I feel is a very crucial player for the NT. Greece does not have many players available to them that have the ability to take on players, we are a very slow team, Platellas gives us that spark on the wings.

ACM is oozing quality, however only one of the 2 can play, 2 very very good players. 

Left wing all I can think of is Gianniotas, however he will have to either break into the Olmpiakos team or find a new club where he will be a starting regular. So much potential. Im not to sure on the Pelkas kid, can he play on the wings or just through the middle?

Up front we can only play Mitroglou, he has been on good form at Benfica, and is hitting his prime, has to start. Alternatives are Aravidis and Klaus.

Despite the Holebas throwing shirt incident (I didn't see)

from the highlights I've seen he actually has been our best players this campaign (which isn't saying much lol)

feftatzidis threw us under the bus by downgrading to saudi arabia. he's the best winger we have by a big margin.

Edited by georgelaz

The wall? I don't see any of our CBs constituting a wall. As the other DM, the jury's out on Tachtsidis for me, since it's been ages since I've seen him actually out there. As much as I loathe Maniatis, it might be worth putting him back in there.

Pelkas can play on the wing, better in the middle.

• Like it 1

^ JVC I agree but not every team that qualifies for major tournaments have guys tearing it up. We don't need guys to tear it up although it would be nice, we need guys to play as a team backed by a solid system. In theory having guys tearing up is ideal but it's not the only way. You can have guys that are good players that play for quality teams that just do there job without "tearing it up" we all would love to have that one superstar that can carry the team but in reality that's not going to happen with us so our only answer is to have players that are skilled enough to to play in a solid system behind a solid coach.

^^My point is if we go back to 2002 when our legendary team was being formed....I could select at least 5 players from AEK, OLY, PAOK and PAO, that were at a different level when compared to this crop, and lets not forget the players from abroad. At the end of the day we don't have

the same quality of players, nor the experience playing in big matches, league and Europe.....Our league has become very weak, and if you go back even Aris had some pretty descent European runs, and good quality players....The SL is where it all begins, and when you look at PAOs, AEKs, and PAOKs European teams of that era, you simply cannot compare to today's teams....All we have is Olympiakos....The current PAOK and Asteras teams in Europe are a joke when we compare the teams of the past....PAOs European representation from the past was far superior to the current Asteras Tripoli and PAOK....This proves how far we have sunk....PAO can't even make Europa, and AEK doesn't even represent.

you make a 'general' point....

however.....factually you are off the mark in the sense that  PAOK and Aris were terrible domestically and in Europe 2002-2004

PAOK were woeful in Europe and so to Aris..In fact Aris got relegated in 2002...

AEK was definitely great. Beating Milan in Champions League brings back memories.

Aris was a good team with Koke.

Panathinaikos was a regular in the group stage of CL.

Paok IMO is better today than it was the past 10 years because of Ivan Savvidis. 

Olympiakos is probably better today than it was 10 years ago as well. They could never win an away match in Europe now they're beating out Arsenal, Juventus, Athletico Madrid.

Oly, Paok = Better Today

Pao, Aris, AEK = Worse Today

Edited by georgelaz

Red sheriff between the years 2002 and 2014....Are you telling me Aris didn't have successful European campaigns? Sheriff PAO and AEK, and the combination of Olympiakos had solid teams....Aris and PAOK were 100 times better than Asteras and Atromitos....In my opinion the top 7 between those eras, much stronger and the SL showed it in coefficient points.

Aris got relegated twice in that period....  They had two good Euro runs..... one in 2007(did not make it out of their group though) and one in 2009/10...in the earlier part of this cycle they were abysmal.....and so to PAOK...

I am focusing on the 2000-2004 period because that was the lead up to Euro 2004.....I assume you're argument is strong domestic clubs lead to euro 2004...PAO were strong..AEK had good players but were poorly run..

PAOK/AEK are much stronger clubs today..

On the field PAOK 2009-2015 is stronger than they were 1999-2007/

It's a typical nothing story from know-nothing hacks.

OK he is currently equal leading scorer in the league (with Mantzios and Fortounis) but he hasn't played against the better teams nor scored in Europe yet.

If Giannou scores 20 this season then he'll be a Greece international by the time WC qualifiers come around. I don't see it though. He'll be 26 in January so time is running out for him. Australia can have him. They pick up Greece's scraps anyway.

Ikonomidis, Bouzanis, Mells, Armenakas to name a few kids who would never make it in Greece.

• Like it 1

Ikonomidis and Panos are kids rising through, how can they be classed as scraps? Our beloved Hellas lost twice to Faroe Islands, not Socceroos. C'mon. Euro snobbery when there is nothing to be snobbish about.

Edited by ausgreek

Kool, I'm as greek as you, but Socceroos have made 4 world cups, are Asian champions, Wanderers are still club champions when they defeated Al Hilal. Greece made 3 world cups. Lets not downplay the Aussie team. I would like both teams in the top 10 in the world if it was up to me. Giannou is also now one of the form forwards in Super League I hear. 

Panos and Ikonomidis are still very young...I have never seen Panos play, but Kris looks promising.

you can't compare the ACL with anything remotely we see in UCL/Europa....The depth and quality are on different planets...

Giannou is behind Mitro and Klaus...so at 26 his chances are limited......

• Like it 2

That is true,but the Euro championships on offer are not being won by Greek teams either fille. Let say Giannou, has now scored 5 goals in 6 matches in a league that stacks the goal-mouth full of defenders. That is a great effort and he is now in his prime, has more confidence. Greece can do a lot worse.

Edited by ausgreek

If Hellas choose Giannou cause they trust him to get on the pitch all well and good. If Aussies take him good too for me. Like to see the guy translate the form into either national side. Fear that he will go shouldn't be a factor in my opinion. Greece have Mitro, Klaus and Diamantakos. For me, Samaras isn't washed up either, he remains a big match player.

Many in the know say it takes quite afew matches in a National team to find one's feet. Giannou only warmed the bench last time anyway. 

Edited by ausgreek

Heard Giorgo is with Sporting Lisbon. Like to see him back in. So Ethniki tried 53 different players. Can also say they expanded pool or at least exposed more talent to what to expect at international level, and the different conditions. Could serve the Enthiki well in coming campaigns. Like to see it expand to 56 players. Like to see Bouchalakis, Petsos and Klonaridis in the Very near future.

Greece were never going to do well in this campaign with all the elements that went against them from the get go. It took this long to get some sort of decent team chemistry. Hope it continues from here.

If Giannou accepts a call up from Greece he risks playing his few games for a national side purely experimenting, trying all options in a stage of uncertainty. There is no promise of him being a part of their plans long term.

Compared to the Australian national side, who's only consistent goal scorer Tim Cahill is at the closing stages of his career. Aside from Robbie Kruse, there isn't an Australian forward playing at a higher level, Giannou if he accepts Australia's call up will be shortlisted for future Australian national sides.

As a career move Australia seems more promising on his end, but its a decision that also depends on which country he feels he belongs to, at least I hope so, these days you wouldn't know.

• Like it 1

I think he definitely feels more Greek.

But he is way better off at Australia.

Say he feels Australian 7/10 but for career is 9/10, that's an 8

And he feels Greek  9/10 but for career it's a 6/10, that's a 7.5.

Australia is the best choice for him. 

He definitely loves both countries (representing both at a youth level)

But the fact that he moved his career to Greece indicates were his heart dominates.

A pure Aussie lover would strive for the EPL or even SPL before Greece.

Edited by georgelaz

The aussies like to cap players all the time and add to the stable.....

I would be curious to see where he fits.....yes Cahill is nearly 40...Kruse is very good but always injured and a different type of forward..

Tomi Juric is the other player...then that is it.....

As we have all said he/we/all understand that he will not get a start ahead of Mitro and Klaus.....(rightly so)....he turns 26 in January..

so his only chance at NT play is in the next 2 years to stake his claim.......Neither Greece or Australia will be banging on his door post WC 2018..When he will be 28-29...

• Like it 1

"Paul" Giannou would not have it easy at Socceroos. There is ofcourse Cahill-still banging them in, Tomi Juric, Mat Leckie, Nat Burns, Kerem Bulut who plays for Irakis FC, a natural goal scorer. Then there is Jamie McLaren, Chris Naumoff all next in line to step up.