Phantis Forums

Transfer News And Rumors - Summer 2015

pash

I can't understand why a club who clearly shouldn't be paying exorbitant wages to guys with either attitude or injury issues doesn't try and mine leagues whose players would jump at the chance to play in Europe. Looking close to home there are probably at least half a dozen Australian players who would make the team and at least bust their hump for the club.

It's not like we don't have history with Australian players .

ok....

Given where PAOK needs players..Other than Spiranovic I can't think of too many A League players that would fit in....

Remember Barbarouses was very average at PAO....And Franjic played  4 matches all season for the bottom Russian team...

the free flowing summer A League is a different world to the grind of European football..

Edited by RED SHERIFF

What is required is signings that aren't just squad standard.  You need above average.  Noboa is such a player and hopefully we can get a couple more like him.  Lucas would be great as well.  I've watched him in a few games for Depor and all in all, he's done well.  Again, he's an above average player compared to the rest of the PAOK squad.

More than anything we need a DM that can impose himself on the pitch and can provide cover for the back.  Garcia was the last player that could do, although towards the end he didn't have the legs for it.  None of our current DM's can do that.  Get a similar CB and all of a sudden your midfielders can go forward freely without having to be scared of constantly backtracking to not concede goals.  Fix the spine and things will begin to fall into place.

What is required is signings that aren't just squad standard.  You need above average.  Noboa is such a player and hopefully we can get a couple more like him. 

That's exactly what we are keep doing for so many years. We have 3-4 very good players and then only average or mediocre players. So, I don't agree that we need Noboa and a couple more like him. We need Noboa (or Natcho) and seven or eight players like him to build a really strong squad. Otherwise, next year we are gonna talking why the team cannot win the Superleague, or why the team cannot beat teams like Schalke or Metalist and enter the Champions League's groups!

I can't hear anymore excuses. Every team has a

Yiankos, I agree with not 100% but 1000%.  My problem is I'm trying to be realistic given our budget.  Having said that, I agree that to be serious contenders for the title I'd basically select the best 11-13 players from the current squad and boot the rest, and replace them with Noboa quality players.  Natcho is another level up again, excellent player.

As for CL qualification, with our current squad, it's 95% certain we can't beat teams like Schalke or Metalist.  They are just too strong.  And, even if we somehow with the luck of the gods went through, we'd get smashed in the CL.

Our biggest problem is our revenue and budget.  PAOK only generates about $15M in revenue.  It's nowhere near close enough to what we need.  It needs to be double that at least, preferably closer to $40M or $50M.  How they do that is another story!  Maybe buy up all the souvlatzidika in Thessaloniki ?

The numbers don't lie. And yes we'd get smacked in the CL. We're weaker than last year, and I doubt next year will be better - we wouldn't get past the likes of Schalke.

I don't see us fielding a team made up entirely of Noboas with the financial limits we need to live within. I'm guessing/assuming this 15mm is already taking into account the economic realities in Greece (instead of a rosy pre-crisis guesstimate)?

We are linked to Chavez from PAS Giannina according to rumors. Few times I watched PAS play this season, he was pretty good. However that does not mean he would do good at PAOK.

@ pash, the 15M was in some article in sport24.gr about a month ago.  It just had a breakdown of the revenue per club over the last few years, and how it's been affected due to the economy.  I can't remember the exact number, but it was somewhere around 15M give or take.

Edited by Bananas

Rate our team!  Below I've rated our squad as I see it.  Others who are lucky enough to watch more games could have a different opinion.

Ratings
5 - Superb player.  Almost impossible to replace.  Example: Natcho.
4 - Excellent player.  Hard to replace.  Example: Noboa.  Stoch (when he felt like playing).
3 - Good squad player.  Not easily replaced.  Example: Klaus.
2 - Decent squad player.  Can be replaced fairly easily.
1 - For the tip.

Player           Position  Age  Rating  Comment
---------------  --------  ---  ------  -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Glykos           GK        28   2       Has done ok since breaking into the 1st team.
Itandje          GK        32   2       Has done ok recently without being exeptional.
Skondras         RB        25   3*      Improved a lot this season.  Cemented the RB position.
Konstantinidis   RB        20   2       Has improved considerably this season.  One to watch next season.
Kitsiou          RB        21   2       Has regressed since being the first choice RB last season.
Rat              LB        33   3*      Surprised me.  Has done very well overall.
Tzavellas        LB        27   2       Aliti.
Costa            CB        33   2       Has pedigree.  Needs to show it.
Vitor            CB        25   3*      Still a 1st team choice when fit.  Needs a reliable CB partner.
Maduro           DM        30   2       Time to go.  Has pedigree but never delivered.
Kace             DM        21   3*      The kid is only 21 and is a 1st team regular.
Tziolis          DM        30   2       Enigma.  I think he still has a role in the team.
Noboa            CM        30   4**     Expecting him to become our midfield general.
Golasa           CM        23   2       Shown glimpses but needs to show more.
Mak              AM        24   3*      Fizzled towards the end of the season, but overall a great signing.
Pereyra          AM        27   3*      Fizzled towards the end of the season, but overall a great signing.
Koulouris        FW        19   -       Too early to judge.
Papadopoulos     FW        33   2       Has done quite well.  Worth keeping as backup/rotation.
Salpi            FW        33   2       On the wane.  I'd still keep him in the squad for morale.
Klaus            FW        26   3*      Has age on his side.  Expecting big things.

Lucas            FW        26   4**     Playing in La Liga for a season can't hurt.
Martens          AM        30   2       Time to go.  Has pedigree but never delivered.
Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1

Nice job Bananas! So, very easily you showed that only nine players are above average and could play a vital role next year. Skondras, Rat, Vitor, Kace, Noboa, Mak, Peryera, Klaus, Lucas. In my opinion two of those (Vitor and Pereyra) are somewhere between 2 and 3 and not as good as the other seven.

I agree but if I started to break it down into .5 it would make things less clear, so I elected to keep it simple.  So, based on a 25 man squad we only need to make 15 or so above average signings ....

Being realistic, if we can get a "3" rating GK, a 4 rating CB, and a 4 rating DM that can impose himself on the game and we're looking really good.  Add Lucas into the mix for good measure.  I don't think it's quite title winning material, but it's getting close.

Sounds like fun, I'll play too. Added Papagiannopoulos to this list. Skipping some of the kids who have bounced around between the youth and senior teams.

Player           Position  Age  Rating  Comment
---------------  --------  ---  ------  -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Glykos           GK        28   3       Kind of average, teeters between 2 and 3. Once he became starter, he was solid
Itandje          GK        32   2       Comes off as very unreliable, but has not been our problem
Skondras         RB        25   4       A very good right back, maybe the most improved from last season
Konstantinidis   RB        20   2       So fast. Makes some stupid mistakes.
Kitsiou          RB        21   1       Invisible. Last season was better for him. Perhaps should be played further up
Rat              LB        33   3       Somewhat inconsistent, but our best LB by far.
Tzavellas        LB        27   1       Cancer. Played as CB, very ineffective.
Costa            CB        33   2       Flop?
Vitor            CB        25   3       Our best CB. Carried the defense for both seasons.
Papagiannopoulos CB        24   2       I liked what little I saw. Too bad the club is run by idiots. Hope he sticks around.
Maduro           DM        30   2       Who?
Kace             DM        21   4       Very talented, hugely aggressive. I really like this guy.
Tziolis          DM        30   2       Averaging this as a 2 due to his poor 13/14. Was great first half of 14/15.
Noboa            CM        30   3       Poor man's Natcho.
Golasa           CM        23   2       Inconsistent, good dribbler, usually looks dangerous.
Mak              AM        24   3       90% the player Stoch is for half the price
Pereyra          AM        27   4       Played behind the CF and in front of Noboa, will do a lot of damage
Koulouris        FW        19   1       Either should be played more or loaned out. Currently in purgatory.
Papadopoulos     FW        33   2       Much better than I expected. If Koulouris isn't trusted, worthy of playing.
Salpi            FW        33   1       An exceptionally poor season for my fav warrior. Sad to see his decline. Love him.
Klaus            FW        26   3       If he ended the season as well as he started, he'd already be owned by another team.

Lucas            FW        26   3       Can't handle big games. Potentially bad attitude. No brains. Exceptionally talented                                         physically
Martens          AM        30   2       Who?
  • Like it 1

I wonder if the deal for Korovesis means he's tapped as the replacement for Tzavellas. He still has two more years on his contract after this season is up, so it could be difficult to get rid of him - esp if we don't end up with a new technical director.

probably agree with most of that Pash, probably debate the Costa call however, see how he goes in the playoffs..

He will hardly play in the playoffs. As it stands right now he might play in only one playoffs game.

Rumors are that we came to an agreement with two more players, but are waiting for the new TD to come in and ok the deals. Wonder if they are Chavez and Velidis from PAS.

the new TD really needs to be sorted out. not sure what the reason is for taking so long. Have the balls to make the appointment already.

I'm guessing there's noone suitable in Greece and we can't afford anyone from Russia.

Anyone else here play Football Manager? Maybe if we email the club screenshots of the squad we can assemble for PAOK in game then we can win the TD job, we couldn't do a worse job than Vryzas.

• Like it 1

players that should be gone this summer : Tzavellas, Maduro, Martens, Salpi

I'd like to Tzavellas go, but we first need to strengthen the squad.  Salpi, just because he's been such a good servant to the club, I'd give him another season, but only off the bench and only if we need goals or it's a derby.

Anyone else here play Football Manager? Maybe if we email the club screenshots of the squad we can assemble for PAOK in game then we can win the TD job, we couldn't do a worse job than Vryzas.

I used to play, but the last version I've played was FM 2008.  Man, what a good game.  And frustrating!!!  Loved it, lol.

Nea Bafra, maybe open up a new thread and post screen shots of the players ?  I'd love to see the stats on them.

Edited by Bananas

He will hardly play in the playoffs. As it stands right now he might play in only one playoffs game.

Rumors are that we came to an agreement with two more players, but are waiting for the new TD to come in and ok the deals. Wonder if they are Chavez and Velidis from PAS.

I'd like to Tzavellas go, but we first need to strengthen the squad.  Salpi, just because he's been such a good servant to the club, I'd give him another season, but only off the bench and only if we need goals or it's a derby.

Tzavellas should go because he is a stupid tsoglani. with Salpi going those fans bitching against him will calm down.

significant portions of my life lost to both FM and CM.