Phantis Forums

Transfer News And Rumors - Summer 2015

pash

It's never too early to start arguing about summer transfers, am I right?

I'll start off with a gem - Swansea and Stoke are apparently interested in Klaus. I don't buy it, but if an offer is made, I can't see him staying in this miserable league.

Katsikas, Spyropoulos, Tzandaris are all being released. If I had to guess, I'd say Tzavellas is going to be sold too (depending on who the new coach and technical director are).

I believe Dpaps had a one-year contract, so he's out as well (and I doubt he'd be renewed). I think both Maduro and Martens have another year left on their contracts (although Martens will be on loan still, with us paying 50% of his wages).

four matches left, we won't catch oly. so, what is the biggest need this off-season?

we are second only to oly in terms of goals scored. that's excellent. next season, if we keep klaus (hopefully we do imo), we maybe need to get only one or two other forwards. plus we can see if koulouris is ready for more action.

we have good midfielders for my money. mak, noboa, kace, golasa, pereyra need some time to gel under a KEEPER COACH this offseason. enough with the revolving door managers. the team need stability more than anything else. we could use a couple of depth players to cover for injuries but our midfield is not bad. a BAM winger or CM would be nice but i think we have greater needs...

because in goals allowed, we are shite, we have given up more than even most teams in the bottom half of the table have. for me, that says everything.

rat and skondras are keepers. i worry about rat and his age but he probably has enough quality to convert himself to CB if his endurance diminishes.

i haven't seen too much from vitor or costa, so i won't comment on them. but we know we have two pretty good fullbacks and yet have one of the most porous defenses in the league. where is the problem? were the issues exclusively limited to the time where our only true CBs were injured or have they continued?

i also think glykos is a keeper (pun not intended) so i can't single him out either.

Isn't Itandje on his way out? Giakoumis doesn't seem up for it, I can see him getting dropped, esp if we go for a new keeper as competition for Glykos.

I still think Vitor is good, and his pairing with Insaurralde last season was, in my opinion, great. Costa has been a letdown, but I suppose you can't expect them to gel immediately. Papagiannopoulos seems fast, strong, and aggressive, and frankly has made a better showing of himself than Costa. We'll have him for a while too, so I'm sure he'll be getting a lot of playing time.

So, right now, it looks like we have Vitor/Costa/Papagiannopoulos + whoever we have out on loan. Qose? Seems we need one more solid CB to even this out.

I think our team is otherwise fine for a superleague season, but we have a serious lack of depth when we hit the midseason break and fatigue/etc takes its toll. Add in European + cup games, and we have a big problem. I don't think Skondras should be delegating for Rat, when he himself should be getting a *lot* of play time on the right. If Tzavellas is on the outs, or doesn't improve, we need to replace him (aren't we getting Korovesis this summer? Is he good enough to be backup?).

Until recently I agreed with you on the CM/winger front. But look at who we have playing - Golasa rarely seems to start, and seems more comfortable in the center. We end up playing Pereyra on the wing much of the time, but he's also much more effective as a second striker/AM. If we are playing these two out of position at the best of times, it tells me that we do need another winger to offset Mak. And we all know Salpi isn't up to it anymore - any coach worth his salt will be playing him as a super sub.

Do you think we'll be resigning Dpaps? It might not be a bad idea. I would rather us play Koulouris than hiring yet another striker. Or if he's not ready to play, then at least loan the guy out.

My longwinded point - we have an adequate team, but an adequate team does not win championships. We need another 3 or 4 Naboa/Pereyra/Mak-level players to truly and fundamentally change PAOK.

It all depends what you're trying to achieve.  The gap between what we have now and pushing for the title is significant.  If we make a signing here or there we'll end up where we always end up.  If they want to push for the title, then yes they need some serious players.

I was hoping to see a bit more from Koulouris this year.

They also need to work out why the team is conceding so many goals.  Midfield not providing enough cover ?  Or are the backs just not up to the job ?

Let's get the list going:

COMING

Giorgi Loria - OFI (goaltender)

Georgios Manousos - Kalloni (forward)\

Stefano Napoleoni - Atromitos (forward)

Dimitris Hatziisaia - Panionios (defensder)

Georgios Galitsios - Lockeren (defender)

Brana Ilic - PAS Giannina (forward)

Nikos Korovesis - PAS Giannina (left back) - allegedly already signed by PAOK

Charis Charisis - PAS Giannina (midfielder) - allegedly already signed by PAOK

LEAVING

Nikos Spyropoulos   (already gone)

Theofanis Tzandaris  (already gone and practicing with Panionios)

Georgios Katsikas  (already gone)

Sotiris Papagiannopoulos

What are people's thoughts on Lucas coming back from his loan ?  Aside from the fact that he'd rather stay at Depor, do you think he can help us next season ?

After his bad run of injuries in the first half of the year, he's had a good run of games recently, and he's been in the starting 11.  I've watched him in a few games and they basically play him as a number 10.  Overall, I'd say he's been playing quite well.

I think we already talked over my one qualm, but I love typing, so here it is again -

What I had heard, was that Lucas essentially refused to play for a no-name coach with a bunch of youngsters. The loan was a way to get an unhappy player off our books, and the extension of his contract was so that we could at least make a few bucks on the deal.

I thought he was a fine player, and would have been a massive help this year (Mak on one wing, Lucas on the other - would have looked great IMO)...

But do we really want a guy who doesn't want to be there?

We'll never know if we don't try.  Sometimes you just need to try.  Bring him in, yes he'll be a sook at the start but he may come around.  I'm sure if he was part of the team this season when we were flying, he would've changed his attitude.

pash, the other day I heard somebody saying that Georgiadis does not like Papagiannopoulos, because he was brought into the team by Aggelos. Don't know how true that is. It could just be bs from anti-Anastasiadis media (Kolkas and co.), but good enough to make the above list.

I would like Lucas back at PAOK, but only if he wants to be back. The other question is if Martens is coming back?

Georgiadis, being an interim manager, will hopefully not have that much of a say in Papagiannopoulos' staying.

Maartens and Maduro were Stevens' men, it's not surprising that once he was gone, they had no urge to perform for the team. Maduro will surely be angling to leave, now that he's not frozen out of a team and can get game time (when he's not injured).

Let's get the list going:

COMING

Giorgi Loria - OFI (goaltender)

Georgios Manousos - Kalloni (forward)\

Stefano Napoleoni - Atromitos (forward)

Dimitris Hatziisaia - Panionios (defensder)

Georgios Galitsios - Lockeren (defender)

Brana Ilic - PAS Giannina (forward)

Nikos Korovesis - PAS Giannina (left back) - allegedly already signed by PAOK

Charis Charisis - PAS Giannina (midfielder) - allegedly already signed by PAOK

LEAVING

Nikos Spyropoulos   (already gone)

Theofanis Tzandaris  (already gone and practicing with Panionios)

Georgios Katsikas  (already gone)

Sotiris Papagiannopoulos

none of those 'ins' would improve your side

• Like it 1

Georgiadis, being an interim manager, will hopefully not have that much of a say in Papagiannopoulos' staying.

Would not be surprised if he ends up as our coach for next season. Specially if he has a good run in the playoffs. Would have happened last season, but the cup final debacle ruined his chances.

OlaPAOK.gr reports that PAOK was checking out the following players:

Mayron George (OFI - 21 years old)) - Forward

Paul Keita (Kalloni - 22) - Defensive Midfielder

Juanma (Kalloni - 24) - Forward

Nicolas Martinez (Panaitolikos - 27) - Attacking Midfielder

Alfredo Mejia (Panthrakikos - 25) - Midfielder

Luka Milunovic (Platanias - 22) - Forward

Banana Yaya (Platanias - 23) - Center Back

Theodoros Vasilakakis (Xanthi - 26) - Midfielder

Ignacio Fideleff (Ergotelis - 25) - Center Back