Phantis Forums

Epl English Premier League - General Discussion

Great game tonight Aston Villa 3-3 QPR. The relegation scrap looks like it will be pretty close this season, certainly closer than the title race.

Benteke scored a hattrick, starting to get back to the form he showed a couple of seasons ago. And I can't work out how Charlie Austin has not been called up to play for England yet, 17 goals already this season, but Roy Hodgeson only picks his personal favourites.

• Like it 1

After 31 league matches , might as well hand over the title to Chelsea right now. 7 points clear with a game in hand as well. They haven't been playing any special or dominant football but they have taken advantage of all their rivals slow starts and under Mourinho they do know how to sneak by and win most games.

Hazard is their best player.

Manchester City have been terrible , in 4 th place now with many tired and not hungry players with fat contracts they can't get rid of.

Liverpool are nothing like the team from last year where Suarez dominated the league by himself.

Great battle at the bottom in the relegation fight where 6 clubs are fighting for survival.

Defensively is where Villa look like a mess at the moment. Since Sherwood became manager he obviously got Benteke flying and scoring at will but that's still not good enough. They are going to be in a relegation battle in the last 6-7 matches with all the others.

Manchester derby this Sunday. Going to be a doozy this one.

Defensively is where Villa look like a mess at the moment. Since Sherwood became manager he obviously got Benteke flying and scoring at will but that's still not good enough. They are going to be in a relegation battle in the last 6-7 matches with all the others.

• Like it 1

It will come down to the wire for us but at least Sherwood has given us that chance. Under Lambert we

would have been long gone. Our defence was shocking today but we have so many injuries. Richardson at

left back cost us again as expected but we need Hutton and Cissokho to return badly. Hopefully our stars like Delph and Benteke get us over the line. Also keep an eye out for Jack Grealish in the run home,

super talent! It's a shame the title race is non-existent.

Never knew you were a Villa fan NickTheGreek. You must be getting used to this by now. Villa seem to end up in a similar situation every season, but still escape the drop.

• 3 weeks later...

Leicester on 4 wins in a row while Newcastle has lost 7 in a row and is in danger of dropping . Every game now is like a cup final for the bottom feeder clubs.

Manchester City were very lucky to get the three points today. Villa shot themselves in the foot with dodgy keeping ( uncharacteristic blunder by Guzan )

Villa have turned their season around by changing their manager. Sherwood has done a great job so far and I hope they go and beat Arsenal in the FA cup final.

Newcastle have done the absolute opposite after changing their manager. They were a decent team under Pardew and in the top half, but now their scrapping for relegation with Carver in charge. Newcastle are one of the least motivated teams I can remember in the EPL, which is very worrying given that they are not safe yet.

• Like it 1

Mike Ashley is just interested in making money from the club. He's a business man not a football supporter. He will take the millions NUFC get from whatever position they end up in (if they stay up) then throw a couple of mil to buy a few fringe players and repeat next season. No motivation to improve whatsoever. 

Burnley and QPR are as good as done. The leaves one spot for all of Leceister, Hull, Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle to battle over survival.

My tip is Sunderland to go down. They have the tougher schedule left.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Chelsea don't compare that well given that they only got to the last 16 of the Champions league. I'd agree with you that the standard in the EPL has dropped recently, the teams that the top are failing in the UCL and Europa league, while the newly promoted teams like Burnley and QPR look crap. Leicester are the only one that has surprised anyone. And next season Bournemouth will be in the EPL, with their 10,000 seater stadium  :D .

This league has been too easy for Chelsea, I'd expect Man City to get out the oil money and hire a new manager for next season. I think Hull will go down and I don't think a lot of people will miss them. Disappointing to see Gerrard couldn't get the send off a legend like him deserved yesterday, Liverpool have lost a great player in Gerrard but they will also need some big signings this summer (which we all know they won't get).

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember seeing a more one sided final, Arsenal completely outplayed Villa. I wanted Villa to win, but they were hopeless today. Benteke did next to nothing, I'd rather Liverpool didn't sign Benteke for 30m based on that performance.

Still well played Arsenal, Cazorla, Mertesaker and their whole team looked great today.

The other striking options for Liverpool to purchase that may be available , affordable or challenging professionally to go to a team that's not in the Champions League doesn't make for stellar reading.

Danny Ings, Charlie Austin, Berahino from the EPL so Benteke even at

• 2 months later...

Decent opening weekend of premier league football. Good to see West Ham beat Arsenal away and Chelski dropping points is always a bonus. I don't think LFC played that well vs Stoke, but they still won thanks to a brilliant goal by Coutinho so I don't mind.

Ranieri got off to good start as Leicester manager beating Sunderland 4-2 haha.

Mourinho is back to his grumpy moaning self again circa 2007. Already making hints that he has a small squad and needs reinforcements.

Got two weeks left before the transfer window shuts and the team lacks some sharpness in midfield. They go as far as Hazard takes them.

Weird to see John Terry being substituted at half time. First time in his career that has happened to him. Mourinho upset they haven't bought Stones from Everton yet

Yes Pedro looks a great signing, he showed his quality on sunday and from what I remember of him at Barca, he always works hard for the team.

But its Chelski's defence which seems to be the problem, strange given that its supposed to be their main strength. John Terry's been having a right mare recently. And I still think Ivanovic is too slow to play RB, Mourinho should move him into the middle with Cahill, then put Dave at RB.

Who's Dave? haha The defence does look shakey. However John Stones has just handed in a transfer request, could the transfer saga finally come to an end? We'll see what happens, be tough on Everton to let him go as they will be skint at CB, with the window closing soon I doubt they'll be able to find a valiant replacement

Stones and Zouma is a CB combination of the gods.

Dave is Cesar Azbiliquetta (I've probably butchered his second name), I've no idea why some some people call him that, but I find it funny.

And Stones would be a good signing. Overpriced, yes probably, but I think he has all the skills to be a top defender.

I don't think anyone can deny that Sterling and Stones are both horribly overpriced. Its partly because the selling clubs know how rich Man City or Chelsea are, so they can sell high.

Having said that Liverpool signed 18 y/o English CB Joe Gomez for only 3.5 million this summer. He may have come from the Championship and was unproven, but he's started every game for us so far and looked decent.