Phantis Forums

Faroe Islands-Greece(13 June 2015, Torsvollur, Torshavn)

Omonoia9

I cant understand this... are there now Karagounis haters too? I thought the evil Katsouranis is to blame for everything (loss against Romania, NI, the Faroe Islands, hopeless production of the team etc. etc.). The main man between 2004 and 2008 was of course not Karagounis but Basinas who was a very able player, he was among the best at Euro 2008 (the other two were Karagounis and Charisteas). Karagounis' contribution on the pitch was very important for more than ten years, with him Greece achieved successes as never before (Euro 2004 + quarter finals in 2012; second round at the WC in 2014 etc. etc.). It is quite inexplicable that now some of you are questioning his past production because of your idiotic notions that Karagounis directs Markari?n. We dont even know why was Holebas left out now but there are people who are quite sure that it happened because of Karagounis.

Edited by La Mendel

There were many years where Karagounis was widely panned, especially on the gs.com forums. This is nothing new. "The dreaded KKM midfield" was a topic of much discussion for a long time; unfortunately, once a player retires, we treat his memory like that of a dead person - he is somehow unimpeachable.

I don't particularly care if Holebas was kept out because of Kara, or if he even has that kind of influence. My feelings on him were solidified while he was still an active player, and has little to do with these events. Since we now are awful, there is plenty of blame to go around for recent results, at any rate.

I'm not questioning the guys talent or heart or work horse effort, he was a soldier for us, and yes with out him there would be lots of games we wouldn't win that is fine. What I'm saying is why was he immediately offered this position as soon as he retires and what influence does he have on choosing players?? Let's be realistic guys the guy has build solid friendships with some of these guys and I'm sure he considers some of them family, of course he is going to play favorites with some of these guys and show his loyalty to them over the better of the team in some instances, he was playing with these guys last summer and now you think he's not going to push for some of them to be on the team even though they don't deserve to be?? Of course he is.

Anyways this shouldn't be about kargounis right now it should be on tomorrow's game which is a must win, didn't start to good, injury to Fortounis, fog so couldn't fly in to the Islands and now they are putting down a plastic pitch something our guys aren't use to. What else will go wrong???

I'm pretty sure Greeksoccer.com had a poster named Karagounis Hater years ago. This is nothing new.

Still, it is fairly surprising to me. I thought everybody acknowledges his capacity and tenacity. People are bashing him because of his alleged influence over the head coach. If for example Tavlaridis was called up because he is a friend of Karagounis, then why wasnt he in the squad for many years? I understood Santos was a puppet of Karagounis and Katsouranis, and Rehhagel was also controlled by certain players (perhaps we can mention Katsouranis here). Vyntra and Tziolis, two other "friends" of Karagounis and Katsouranis were left out of the team at Euro 2012 by the - as you said - puppet Santos, and in WC 2014 they didnt play a single minute. It is quite incomprehensible, on the basis of what you folks say.

Edited by La Mendel

There were many years where Karagounis was widely panned, especially on the gs.com forums. This is nothing new. "The dreaded KKM midfield" was a topic of much discussion for a long time; unfortunately, once a player retires, we treat his memory like that of a dead person - he is somehow unimpeachable.

It was even then inexplicable that somebody wanted him to retire from international football... and who would have they wanted to play? Ninis, Vellios, Koutsianikoulis etc.

Cyprus played on an artificial pitch against Andorra last night.

I think it's inexplicable that anyone would want Karagounis to start tonight over Ninis or Tachtsidis.

I spoke about the (say) 2009-2012 period. As for the mentioned players, I would even now choose Karagounis over Vellios or Koutsianikoulis. Ninis is a borderline case, of course, if he is in good form, he can be useful to the team. Tachtsidis is a very capable and useful player but I didnt say I dont want him so WTF d'ya want?

Lineup:

1 Karnezis(GK)

3 Stafylidis

4 Manolas

15 Torosidis©

19 Papastathopoulos

8 Kone

10 Christodoulopoulos

18 Fetfatzidis

22 Samaris

9 Mitroglou

14 Karelis

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/qualifiers/season=2016/matches/live/index.html?day=6&session=2&match=2013958

I'm so happy to see us playing with two strikers and especially Karelis starting.

Edited by Chris Tsamados

FAROE ISLANDS

1 Nielsen(GK)

4 Gregersen

5 Nattestad

22 Hansen

6 Hansson

7 Benjaminsen(Captain)

8 Olsen

9 Sorensen

14 Vatnhamar

10 Holst