Phantis Forums

Faroe Islands-Greece(13 June 2015, Torsvollur, Torshavn)

Omonoia9

Hey guys does every third place team get into a playoff or is the worst third place team automatically eliminated? I agree that on paper I think we are by far the best team in this group but unfortunately I'm worried it's a little to late, even Hungary smells blood now and will be trying to get 2nd place so I can't see them dropping to many points, they even tied Romania in Romania and now face them at home where I think the can defiantly pull of a tie, I can't see Finland beating them either. But regardless we have to take it one game at a time and hope for Hungary to somehow stumble. To be honest I think the only way we have a shot to get 3rd is by running the table and winning every game from here on in any dropped points and we are done.

The highest ranked third-placed team gets in automatically. The remaining 8 get into a seeded 2-legged playoff. Right now, it looks like this:

Russia (advances automatically)

Scotland
Hungary

Albania

Switzerland

Ukraine

Israel

Norway

Netherlands

If we get in ahead of Hungary, I fancy our chances. Netherlands has a tough group, they might remain in third place. Switzerland is in a weaker group, and is actually tied with Slovenia based on points. We will almost certainly be seeded.

• Like it 1

Amazing to think that the squad for the Faore Islands match and the friendly with Poland incl. Katsouranis, Tziolis, Vyntra but Holebas who is one of our best, most athletic players, plays regularly for Roma and is now 100% fit has been left out. We are desperate to win and we are 1 foot in the grave and every qualifier from here on is a cup final. We need all our best players. Even if he not start the match, you would expect he could be used as a sub.

Interview with Holebas,

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/National-Greece/holebas-ethniki-greece-hellas-karagounis-roma.3515713.html

Boythes, I feel like we are all related, talking around the souvla with the beers crapping on, agreeing, disagreeing and perving at the attractive spouses. It would be an advantage to play a 4 3 3 formation but, the gameplan won't be a high line, or up-tempo possession based style. Looks too defensive with Kats and Tziolis in the mix. 4 2 3 1 looks like it will end up. Samaris would take on the Maniatis role, maybe box to box mid. Taxi, Ninis with the skill, Kone with something, Fetta with the olives. We have a chance out there. Kyriakos will be missed. Well done on his transfer in Bundesliga.  

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

The game is on at 2:45 EDT on ESPN3 and WatchESPN in US. Sportnet World and Sportnet 360 in Canada.

The Poland - Greece game will be in beIN Sport Connect in Australia.

Correct, it's on Sportnet World Now, the streaming service of Sportnet.  Same thing with ESPN. The game is on the streaming service ESPN3 and not on their regular TV channels.

..................Karnezis.....................

.....Toro....Sokratis...Moras...Stafylidis......

...............Tax.....Samaris...................

......Fetfa..........Ninis...............X.........

..................Mitroglou...........................

I think this will get the job done vs the Faroe Islands. Ninis and Mitro have chemistry as shown in past matches playing with one another from their time playing for the youth national teams so I will not be shocked if we see Ninis giving Mitroglou plenty of chances on a silver platter to finish. Must win and I think we will. 

• Like it 1

The game is on at 2:45 EDT on ESPN3 and WatchESPN in US. Sportnet World and Sportnet 360 in Canada.

The Poland - Greece game will be in beIN Sport Connect in Australia.

Blackhawk, I assume the Faroes match will also be streamed on ESPN3 in Australia?

Currently it isn't listed in their forthcoming matches, but often they add to the list as the game approaches.

Cheers 

It's funny. The Greek Government was famous for generous pension schemes - even to diaspora in Russia of Greek origin.

Would be nice if the bastards recognized all the male Greek diaspora who have had to watch Katsouranis for the last 10 years play for the NT. We are veterans and we have suffered for his agent and the EPO.. Would be nice to get a couple of euros a week as a mark of respect. 

Katsouranis.jpg