Phantis Forums

Faroe Islands-Greece(13 June 2015, Torsvollur, Torshavn)

Omonoia9

Lads, I would like to see Hellas adopt a policy of forget politics and re-generate the team every world cup cycle - standard. The majority of the player squad should be around 25, or younger, not all players. It is way overdue to do this infact in Faroe Is. match, not necessarily from Poland match. No  Vyntra, Moras, Katsouranis, Salpingitis. At the very latest, after the euro qualifiers to promote Sokratis to captain. This may mean the end of playing Torotsidis, even if this is a backward step initially. Just an opinion. Need to have Sokratis well respected if this was to happen. That means not too many older guys in the squad. Leave Holebas and Samaras in the team environment though, need the balance.

I don't know if I'm a real fan of the chips in the yeeros. Its very overwhelming. 

Edited by ausgreek

Lemon juice and tzatziki are the greatest inventions af all time, or close to it. Up there with zembekiko music. As I flick my kompoloi (worry beads), thio Stratos reckons Markarian will initially not be given absolute free reign on squad and team selections. Do we think he will, or will there be dodgy selections during his time, which has started? And that patates are not good for cholesterol, or my waiste-line re paithia!

Would Samaras holding at CF, and Fetfa as his AM, would that increase our flair? Faroes are probably more physical than many asian teams too. Faroes would do quite afew top 100 teams. Not to be under-estimated. My Thio ordered a salad and pita with our yeeroses recently. I think that's like double-dipping. The yeeros has salad, and pita. It probably isn't something I can take away as food for thought, especially if I'm to impress a date, especially of another culture know what I mean na poume?

Also, No chiili sauce with yeeros, as No tzatziki with beritos - my advise to singles.   

Starting lineup for the Katsouranis/Samaras etc. haters: Kapino - Bakakis, Tasoulis, Triantafyllopoulos, Stafylidis - Klonaridis, Mantalos, Kolovos - Mavrias, Aravidis, Vellios. On the bench: Lamprou, Skondras, Bouchalakis, Dimoutsos, Dinas, Koutsianikoulis, Diamantakos.

The Katsouranis-Pirlo comparison was (not only) at first farcical, but the statistics altered the case somewhat I'd say. This doesnt mean that Katsouranis is the same quality as player as Pirlo, only that their contribution to their respective national teams was in some ways similar.

Santos did look to the future. Many younger players were built in during his 4-years term (Karnezis, Manolas, Siovas, Tzavellas, K. Papadopoulos, Samaris, Kone, Christodoulopoulos, Fortounis, Fetfatzidis, Mitroglou etc.). In fact the team which we have seen at the WC would have been able to continue its successful production, but for the famous idiot who didnt understand Greek football at all (it is mainly his fault that we have only 2 points now, Santos would have won most matches if he stayed stayed, and if a coach like Markari?n would have been chosen by EPO, we'd have at least 10-11 points now). There were only 4-5 older players in the whole squad and 2 in the starting lineup, you cant say Santos didnt look to the future. In fact, he was very successful during his tenure AND meanwhile he did choose younger players and build them into the team too. Only Karagounis (who was used after Euro 2012 mostly as a super sub - at least he and Katsouranis were rarely together on the pitch), Katsouranis (see above), Gekas, Salpingidis, Vyntra and Moras were over 30 from the squad if I remember correctly. Players like Karnezis, Manolas, Papastathopoulos, Maniatis, Samaris, Kone, Fetfatzidis, Mitroglou could play (if their form wont fall) for 4-6 years yet, they are people of the future as of the present as well. As for the above-mentioned older players, Karagounis was used as a super sub, Gekas was the sub of Mitroglou, Vyntra and Moras didnt play a single minute at the WC. Only Katsouranis and Salpingidis should have been replaced with Samaris and Fetfatzidis, they could have been possibly used as subs. Santos did his job very well. His successor had one job: he should continue his work and develop it (replace Katsouranis in the starting line-up with Samaris, give the younger players - Tachtsidis, K. Papadopoulos and Fortounis - more chance etc.). Ranieri failed horribly: bad choices for the squad and for the starting 11 too (Mavrias, who practically didnt play for Sunderland at all in the current season, the 23-y-old "talented" Mantalos from the second league, Diamantakos, perhaps because of his goals in the summer?, Athanasiadis was always a mediocre player, Skondras, Kolovos, Klonaridis etc.), atrocious production, worst results in the last 20 years. Its incomprehensible that people go on bashing one of our best coaches (the other was Rehhagel) while they overlook what did one F***head in a couple of months after Santos' departure.

Edited by La Mendel

can you tell us...if santos had stayed or markarian had been hired in july, just whom would they have played in the first 4 qualifiers?

aek give it up man, the players didn't want to play for the clown, he lost the dressing room, a disastrous appointment who gets to enjoy yet another pay off. 

the squad is as follows:

O Karnezis(Udinese), P Glykos(PAOK), S Kapino(Mainz), S Dioudis(Club Brugge)

V Torosidis, K Manolas(both Roma), S Papastathopoulos(Borussia Dortmund), L Vyntra(Levante) V Moras(Verona), K Stafylidis(Fulham), K Giannoulis, G Maniatis(both Olympiakos), G Skondras(PAOK).

P Tachtsidis(Verona), A Samaris(Benfica), K Fortounis(Olympiakos), P Mandalos(AEK), C Mavrias(Sunderland) A Tziolis(PAOK).

G Samaras(WBA), K Mitroglou,(Olympiakos), D Salpingidis, S Athanasiadis(both PAOK), N Karelis(Panathinaikos).

lots of injuries, players like laz kone and holebas are out, but a disappointing squad picked by the clueless ranieri, Gekas not included despite banging in 6 goals in 5 games for his club, Karelis is in the squad despite not being good enough to start for PAO, Mavrias has got a call up even though he hasn't played a single minute for sunderland, fortounis is included with only 12 minutes of football under his belt this season and quite why you need 4 keepers is beyond me when 2 should be enough, and another call up for Mandalos, we're down to calling up greek 2nd division players. also there is a doubt over torosidis. 

on the plus side Finland are not as good as Romania and players like samaras mitroglou tachtsidis and samaris have some game time and are now match fit which wasn't the case against romania, as we got claudio the clown managing us i can see this one being a draw.

my post prior to ranieri's one and only point. you understand why he was called the 'tinkerman' greece's success was built on continuity he changed too  much too soon. 

you're implying he didn't have any options and couldn't do any better, he lost the dressing room and should have been out after the finland game. absolutely gutted i am because it was so obvious to me and many others early on that he was disastrous for our ethniki. 

• Like it 1

can you tell us...if santos had stayed or markarian had been hired in july, just whom would they have played in the first 4 qualifiers?

perhaps a Santos or markarian may have laid better match day strategy to win these "un losable" matches...

I'm quietly confident Hellas will turn this around and win 2-0. There has been sufficient evidence that the players have been hurting from their poor performances. Fetfa and maybe even Klaus might bang them in. Overall I know there is an abundance of talent in the squad to make a dent against anyone.Lets see if this pans out.

Wotjesoy? Kone was there versus Faroe Islands, so was Lazaros. (Unfortunately Mantalos, Mavrias and Klaus too. From these waited Ranieri to save the day.) They were there against Romania too. As for Tziolis, he didnt play a single minute in autumn.

We should have beaten FI/Finland/we shouldnt have lost vs N Ireland with a team like this: Tzorvas - Vyntra, Malezas, Avraam, Spyropoulos - Tziolis, Katsouranis, Fotakis - Kapetanos, Gekas, D. Papadopoulos. With a competent head coach and fairly good tactics, of course.

One of the glaring problems Ranieri's tenure revealed, was that he allowed the players to dictate terms. Salpi was one of the best in his prime, but by the time the votes came in for the new captain for Hellas, he and three others were past it, on the national stage at least.

History often shows that players Don't know when its all over! They will take the money till they are physically kicked out of the dressing room! 

An assertive coach brings with him change, either straight away, or within two games. Out with those whom he feels won't fit into the new philosophy, or are bucking the system.

I keep saying, make Sokratis captain for the Russian campaign in particular-Now! Get rid of Almost all older guys so Sokratis is imediatey respected. How many times do I have to stress this point Santos, Ranieri and Markarian??

There is a mind set that players aren't ready, yet often show they are, and we then all say why wasn't this guy brought in earlier? Because some player that is past it is holding him up, that's why. Gekas, Salpi, Vyntra, Katsouranis, Tziolis, Avraam and I'll be bold, even Torotsidis would be moved on. I would stick with Samaras, for his holding abilities up front, and Holebas for his energy, and while he can cross the ball relatively well, for a while yet.

Edited by ausgreek

I think we should go for a midfielder as a captain because weve seen in recent years Zagorakis, Basinas, Karagounis, Katsouranis the team has done relatively well and i think we should carry it on maybe players like Kone and Maniatis should be captain.

I appreciate your honest appraisal GrkCdn22. Salpi was on decline, and I would steer away from anointing him as captain as he won't carry the team forward into the future. The captain of Hellas is in waiting, its Sokratis, therefore, Markarian has to not waste this opportunity. 

Maybe an even more agile goalkeeper could be given a start. Karnezis is ok, he can do a job. Like to see Kapino get a decent run now.