Phantis Forums

Giannis Alafouzos

Guest PastMember

i dont understand why there is even a debate on whose at fault. it starts from the top and works its way down. i see it in my own city of chicago. the day the old man who owned the chicago blackhawks died, and an owner who cared stepped in, we won 3 stanley cups in 6 years. 

look at the chicago cubs. it was 108 years since they won anything. new owners came in, hired the best gm in baseball, recruited players from their acadamies and won the championship this year... 

if u want changes to panathinaikos, u must start from the top. Gate 13 messed up by chasing out the family and standing behind alafouzo. gate 13 should have no say in who the president is. they should go to the matches and sing for the players. 

we dont have a proper medical staff, our scouts are crap, our accadamies have gone to sh*t, and we need to stop relying on players like ibarbo and prajnic to come and save us.. not gonna happen

• Like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to say it, but Alafouzo is a JOKE....

Only he could have Marinakis on the ropes and then end up in jail himself whereas Marinakis continues to run his "organization" and rules behind the scene....

He's been promising us change for the past 3 years and we haven't even made a DENT in this movement to rid corruption....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you brothers, Alafouzo is incompetent and needs to go. But, as the article above says, the team is in deep debt. Ala has to cough up $5-6 million to pay some of the most pressing debts. That's ontop the heap of money he's put in.

Where are you going to find this money? Do you guys have it? Can you collect it?

Is there another rich person who wants to buy PAO but Alafouzos is refusing?  Let's be realistic here. The Greek league is corrupt, has no profit potential, offers a crappy product, etc,etc. Who would come in these days?... Please find that person asap. Do you want to go back to the days when the club couldn't get UEFA license and was a half step from 3rd ethniki?

As for those who don't remember the Tzigger years, he is the reason the club ended up where it is today. During his long tenure, the club won the fewest titles, while spending tons of money, and his worst crime, in my opinion, was that a rich & powerful person like him allowed the "paraga" to be established. Remember Rizoupoli? (one of many...)

A total incompetent moron, who was chased out because he had been so horrible for so long.

• Like it 1

Yeah you totally convinced us…!

Kalla krasia!

I don't think you realize the magnitude of the team named PANATHINAIKOS.

This particular behaviour and the G13 idiots have drugged the team to this level!

The Vardinigiannis family has brought this team to the best 5 teams in Europe to semi-finals and GLORY DAYS!

What has this m@laka alaskouzo done?

We have become the laughing stock domestically and in Europe!

The sooner these idiots depart the sooner this team will find its way!

I can't believe you guys who have watched this team for years come up with nonsense like that!

13 hours ago, athinaios said:

I

As for those who don't remember the Tzigger years, he is the reason the club ended up where it is today. During his long tenure, the club won the fewest titles, while spending tons of money, and his worst crime, in my opinion, was that a rich & powerful person like him allowed the "paraga" to be established. Remember Rizoupoli? (one of many...)

A total incompetent moron, who was chased out because he had been so horrible for so long.

and now his been out done by his bastard spawn predecessor alafouzo who eventually will leave the club in a far dire way it had been left!!!..there is only one vision in his eyes and that is to make panathinaikos smaller each year...now his breathed the lower mentality into the followers of his each season ...the nightmare has only began under his tenure it's going to get worse.........

I said the worst thing that happened to PAO was Tzigger (not Kepetanios). That play boy who destroyed the club, left the team unprotected, and allowed others to control the Greek league. The facts are what they are. Look back and see how many titles PAO won under Tzigger.... It was the worst period in the last 100 years. He kept hiring incompetent people while firing any good one who dared to tell him the reality. He failed to build a new stadium, and in the end he was played by Tsakas like the idiot he was.

I don't understand why some of you reply that Alafouzos is worse. He is not given his means. I'm not defending his judgment. But, he saved the club--when no one wanted to touch it--from dropping to 3rd division.

Should Alafouz go? Yeah.  But not if no one else can step in. At least he pays out of his pocket. Anyone here or anywhere who can come up with a few millions $ to pay for salaries (and past obligations dating back to Tzigger and Pateras) and other club expenses, PLEASE STEP RIGHT UP! 

When Tzigger was refusing to sell because he wanted a toy.... The Giannakopoulos family had expressed interest several times in buying the club.... They had lots more sense and I'm sorry that they didn't, all because of Tzigger.  Can you imagine where the club would have been with them?...  

I do not know the money worth of Ala. Maybe he's a miser. But, I know Tzigger had tons of money and power, which makes his responsibility lots bigger for allowing the club to slide so much. And, he got the club when was PAO was high, unlike a third-rate team when Alafouzo steped in.

• Like it 1

Thank you Reaper for the info. The bottom line is that Alafouzo is finding money to pay bills dating back to Tzigger and maintain an operations budget when no one, NO ONE, was (and still is) willing to step in to save the club...

1 hour ago, Reaper said:

That is my instinct. What I wanted for PAO was for them to be relegated at the end of 2012 - go bankrupt and find an owner wanting to take them over for free and build something special from scratch. This happened with AEK. They were begging Mel to take over - he would not touch them until they were free to acquire - no matter how much presidents and organised fans begged him to take over previous to that. Now AEK are very silly in this season. Stupid signings, weak management - a disaster. But financially they are strong and can build on that if one day Mel wants to loosen the ol purse strings. 

However PAO no longer has this option of falling to amateur league and declaring bankruptcy to my knowledge. The reason? Greece has changed the law. If you go to the amateur leagues now and declare bankruptcy - it no longer writes off your debts. So PAO should aim to stay solvent and in the top league - in Europe each year etc.. Problem I see is no sane man would take PAO off a guy like Alafouzos until Alafouzos makes clear he wants out and will not hinder any potential buyer in any way. To do this Alafouzos basically has to admit failure - and that does not seem on the cards. 

Incidentally and just out of general interest.. Alafouzos's dad - the source of his wealth and media/shipping empire - is a fanatical Olympiacos fan. Alafouzos himself used to attend Olympiacos events too in his younger days:

15349595_384934921859134_280136553649206

Reaper is it also correct that they have now changed the ruling that if you drop to 3rd division you must stay there for 3 seasons as all the teams were doing it as a way out of debt? I read it was on the cards but not sure if it was followed through, you heard or know anything about it?

21 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Legally I don't think Meli is allowed to invest in his own club due to him controlling the managing stake OPAP and a clear conflict of interest. However, if he wanted to - I am sure there are plenty of ways to do it. He has spent only what is required and I would not doubt what he has spent has been through loans too - like with Alafouzos - so as to protect his own pot of gold. I feel he does not want to spend his own money on AEK. I believe perhaps he wants to build up the club as a product however - new stadium, good players - and sell for 100's of millions. He will definitely have to put some money into the stadium construction as Greeks are aware of his wealth and will make sure of it. He will make all of it back and more when he sells. €50 million into a stadium.. with a return of potentially €300 million when AEK is sold -s a comfortable risk for a billionaire.

Savvidis has spent some cash I believe - badly.. but he has spent some euros in Salonika. I feel he would be far more heartened if more of his Russian comrades join him in Greece to blow their cash too, but they seem hesitant - despite his constant invitations to them. I don't think he will develop the Toumba. I think he is actually a PAOK supporter - hence his huge anger every time PAOK lose and his boastful and prideful statements he makes in anger (like stating he will never go back the Toumba after a recent loss). I am not sure how Savvidis has made his money - as he seems a terrible judge of character, disorganised and susceptible to creating gossipy he said/she said environments that damage the club (as most Greeks do in their personal lives!) He also has a poor footballing mind. I think that the only way he will really splash out is if say Aris get promoted and out-perform PAOK. I can imagining really splashing out to regain pride - but again, probably on garbage players.

I think just one more tycoon in the mix buying a Greek a club (a genuine tycoon - not a Papathasakis..) - will encourage the others to spend more to compete. You see Savvidis, Meli and Alafouzos formed an alliance to blame any losses on the fixed league. This actually plays well with groups like Gate13 and Original 21 - but if another owner comes in and out-performs them with his team.. they will either have to say he is owned by Marinakis.. or actually start spending money - their actual money.. and not just bank loans..

Correct Mel cant put money due to OPAP, but its Greece after all and he is a powerful man so I am sure there are ways he can around it, for example the money can be invested by his bummy Dusan, or by his son who is part of Dikefale1924.

Meli has said he will put money into the stadium, now whether that's his own money or not is another thing, but the way its going the stadium wont be built until a new Mayor is voted in.

He is an issue jvc, he has held us back in many ways and been against it from day 1. First he tried to block us getting that extra 2500 metres squared extra land, then his issue was the tress in Alsos, all 50 of them, which AEK had offered to plant 2000 around the area. Then it was the size of the seats inside. Now the latest I heard when in Greece was that it was the height of the stadium as they said it was too high and needed to be dropped by 2 metres.

Other than that AEK has got all the other licences required, if it was any other Govt in charge the stadium would be on its way I believe.

I too have my doubts at times on the stadium, but I will wait until the Mayor is removed and a new one voted in, if nothing changes then well I will give up myself.

Meli has said himself without a ground AEK has no melon (future) and he is right 100% on that. I went to OAKA last Sept/Oct to watch games and it was terrible you cant enjoy watching a game being so far away from the field. Really he should've got Rizoupoli as its local and much closer to the field for the fans but for whatever reason he chose to stay at OAKA.

23 minutes ago, jvc said:

All excuses Original....if he wanted to,  the Mayor can easily be bought,  or persuaded by others higher up....that's how Greece operates.  He has no interest in investing his own money to build a stadium,  or to make AEK a big club.   Meli is sitting around watching AEK shrinking....what are they ranked now?  120?   If he had pride for the club that fact alone would be eating away at him!   How many free loan players has he brought in?   Meli and Alafouzos are nothing but scams!

Conspiracy theory incoming --> the Mayor is doing what he is based on Meli's orders because Meli is actually not interested in building the stadium.  Now what do you think about that!

• Like it 1

45 minutes ago, Amorgos said:

You have been watching too much Crime Scene Investigation on TV :cool:

Can't stand any of those types of shows.  So lame.  The only crime based series worth watching would be True Detective which was a master piece.

Unlike Meli, Savvidis hasn't said 100% that he'll be building a new stadium right away and it's not a priority.  Also, the fans aren't crying out for a new stadium, although if they got one I'm sure they wouldn't complain.  What Savvidis has done is some cosmetic work on Toumba (a few million I believe) and the pitch these days is generally of a very good standard.  In the past there were often games where the pitch was of a low standard.  Overall the facilities at Toumba these days from the player perspective are very good although the overall look of the stadium is dated.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1

Why build a stadium? Have you seen attendance records? The product isn't selling; it has lost value. The sport has become mostly an outlet for frustrated men who have attached their identity to a club and see this as an activity to express their frustrations (about everything in their lives), which expression often includes violence.

Question: if any of you had, say, a big business, with an income of $100 million/year, would you buy a Greek team, and would you spend your money?

You have to take into account the present conditions, and extrapolate for the near future....

Most people are just talk no action, like most Greeks are. There are very, very few, if any, Greeks who are soooo crazy about a club and would be willing to spend vast fortunes to make it a European-caliber club. The economic conditions and the over all situation in Greece means that you'd be losing lots of money, left and right, for ever. And, you'd have fans who would still complain that you didn't spend all your money to make the club even greater!

• Like it 1

16 minutes ago, athinaios said:

Why build a stadium? Have you seen attendance records? The product isn't selling; it has lost value. The sport has become mostly an outlet for frustrated men who have attached their identity to a club and see this as an activity to express their frustrations (about everything in their lives), which expression often includes violence.

Question: if any of you had, say, a big business, with an income of $100 million/year, would you buy a Greek team, and would you spend your money?

You have to take into account the present conditions, and extrapolate for the near future....

Most people are just talk no action, like most Greeks are. There are very, very few, if any, Greeks who are soooo crazy about a club and would be willing to spend vast fortunes to make it a European-caliber club. The economic conditions and the over all situation in Greece means that you'd be losing lots of money, left and right, for ever. And, you'd have fans who would still complain that you didn't spend all your money to make the club even greater!

And so, as you say, it just doesn't make any economic sense.  Which is fine except for the constant, silly reporting surrounding it.  If for some reason a stadium was built, I'd be sure that it wasn't with their own money.

When you say they deserve it? Who are you referring to? The kids that dream to play for PAO or OLY? The dad who takes their son to a game on a random Sunday afternoon? While some owners are crooks, let's not destroy the league.  I still remember my dad taking my brother and I to a friendly game in Kalamata when I was 10 years old.  I remember the score, Kalamata lost 2-0 to Olympiakos Bolou, I remember the goals, I remember the stands.  My point is that soccer in every country serves a purpose, unfortunately right now it is in a decline. What's not in a decline  -  Dad's who want to make memories with their kids, children who will remember these memories with their dad long after their dad has passed away.  We are all frustrated with how things are but destroying the league is not the answer.

• Like it 2

33 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

.....  My point is that soccer in every country serves a purpose, unfortunately right now it is in a decline. What's not in a decline  -  Dad's who want to make memories with their kids, children who will remember these memories with their dad long after their dad has passed away.  We are all frustrated with how things are but destroying the league is not the answer.

I assume you're older... or, at least, this is not how it happens today as many sane parents wouldn't risk taking their kids to a soccer game--expensive, vulgar, low quality, and dangerous. This generation of youngsters has a lot more ways to spend time and find distractions, unlike earlier generations where football was the king of sports. Even socialization has changed because of technology and access to all sorts of entertainment venues.

8 hours ago, jvc said:

Exactly Bananas.  Meli is not interested in building a stadium with his own money.  Same goes for the rest....Alafouzos has all the excuses in the book,   and what is Savidis excuse?  

So first you say he doesn't want the stadium and now you say he doesn't want to build it with his money, which is it re?

1 hour ago, Original Sydney said:

So first you say he doesn't want the stadium and now you say he doesn't want to build it with his money, which is it re?

Dunno.  I don't really follow the whole AEK stadium issue apart from occasionally checking the updates in the AEK forum.  But when I put it altogether that he's a billionaire, the stadium was announced a few years ago as being just around the corner, these lame excuses (at least to me) about why the stadium is being delayed (given Meli's wealth, resources and connections), and the current economic malaise in Greece and the GSL in general, my gut instinct tells me he's in no rush to build the stadium.

I'd guess Meli is happy to build the stadium as long as not too much of his own personal money is used.  How the rest would be financed, I have no idea without knowing the ins and outs of Meli and AEK.

Tell you what, let's see if he get a player that isn't a free transfer and then we'll go from there. :cool: ::ducks heads:: ::shots fired ::

• Like it 1