Phantis Forums

The Greek Economy Thread

I'm note a hateful kind of guy but this F***er deserves to be paralyzed.

Typical of Germans.  My ex-gf was of German background and definitely cold hearted and could do things with no sympathy.  I pretty much hate Germans.

So all you anti austerity people know, this proposed deal is much much much much worse on the people. This time it is actually 23% VAT on everything and not 13% VAT like it was before. Keep that in mind before you start praising Tsipras.

I heard this deal is a lot worse than the one in February.  

Thankfully Obama and France stepped in or the Greek people would have committed suicide.

• Like it 1

Actually I feel sad, because this is a worse deal than what it could have been achieved previously, while the Greek economy has shrunk in the meantime, not to mention the damage and angst of the last couple weeks.  Tsipras did not play this hand well. OK, he had a bad hand to begin with (back in Feb) but he failed to realize that a bad hand usually means you lose. I'm happy though that the worst was avoided. The worst being a total collapse of the economy and Greece becoming a basket case needing humanitarian aid to survive.

I don't know what some people here and in Greece are seeing this as a victory....that he stood up to the troika, Germany, and kept Greece proud. The only "victory" is that Greece isn't kicked out of the EZ.

For the record, if Greece's offer for reforms is accepted, it'll get about $80 billion, including emergency funds for the banks to open.

As I read the proposed Greek offer, I wonder why most of those sensible measures weren't done before...... It's something Greece needed regardless of debt obligations or troika or mnemonio.....

But, in true historical fashion, since 1821, any positive change, it has come or imposed from abroad!

Look at this arrogant piece of s%$#!

I'm convinced this guy's father met his end jumping from a plane over Crete in 1941. It would definitely explain his attitude towards Greece. Poor little hitleryouth... :lol:

I love it when these pompous asses allow themselves to be taped while spewing their garbage. 1 minute they claim to be protecting the Union, and the next they make pseudo-racist remarks.. It shows everyone their true colours!

Well, a big "Fig dish ashloch" to you little feeble kraut!

Edited by Giourkas
  • Like it 2

All this talk. Nothing will change. Tsipras promised the banks opened Tues. Its now Thurs and still closed till Monday, LMAO.  Taxes will go up, pensions down, no debt forgiveness. Tsipras will bow to Germany. He has no choice. All those poor souls dancing last sunday after the vote will be in for a shock come this Monday Morning. 

Edited by Torontoblue
  • Like it 1

I respect Tsipras for having the balls to hold a referendum and stand up to the EU, but if this proposal is just a harsh or even worse then what was the point? Am I missing something? Did he just get the peoples hopes up for nothing? I'm not criticizing I'm just confused was this all for nothing?

He should have made plans for leaving the euro/EU submitted them earlier and stuck with them, the fact he hasn't seems to indicate he has no desire to do either, now the 'reforms' demanded by the troika will be implemented in exchange for Greece being in further debt, these reforms will just mean further cuts rotting people's standard of living further, and giving more revenue generating assets Greece has left to creditors. 

The EU have played a blinder.  capital controls leaving people with money in their accounts unable to access it which further kills trade, businesses unable to pay their employees.

When you don't have the bottle to go it alone and are reliant on the EU they pretty much got you by the balls. Do as we say or you get more of the same, they smell blood, they sense Tsiparas doesn't have the desire to leave so they'll keep turning the screw until he accepts whatever they want - which is to eventually own everything in Greece. 

anyone see a pattern here? do you realise what their(EUs/creditors) goal is yet? They ain't gonna stop until they own EVERYTHING. 

The new proposals include sweeping reforms to VAT to raise 1% of GDP and moving more items to the 23% top rate of tax, including restaurants ? a key battleground before.

Greece has also dropped its opposition to abolishing the lower VAT rate on its islands, starting with the most popular tourist attractions. Athens also appears to have made significant concessions on pensions, agreeing to phase out solidarity payments for the poorest pensioners by December 2019, a year earlier than planned. It would also raise the retirement age to 67 by 2022.

It will also press on with privatisation of state assets including regional airports and ports. Some government MPs had vowed to reverse this.

Now they want some regional airports and ports, what next? the Acropolis, perhaps an island or 2?? they're taking these assets on top of impoverishing the people with higher tax/VAT and raising retirement ages and inferior pensions. And for what, to put us further into debt. Anyone think this is a good deal? good news? What the F uck do we get out of this that benefits Greece/Greeks apart from some temporary relief when they restock the banks? 

the referendum was a waste of time, vote yes and they'd say see the greek people want reforms that they implement, vote 'OXI' and get the f ucking same.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jul/09/greece-debt-crisis-athens-accepts-harsh-austerity-as-bailout-deal-nears?CMP=share_btn_fb

I really hope this passes but you can never be too sure until the ink is dry. I'm wondering when the banks will reopen. I'm thinking July 20th if something is approved this week. I feel really ashamed at what's going on with our seniors.

I really hope this passes but you can never be too sure until the ink is dry. I'm wondering when the banks will reopen. I'm thinking July 20th if something is approved this week. I feel really ashamed at what's going on with our seniors.

Syriza is split on the deal and many of them are voting against the proposal later on tonight, I'm not even sure this will pass through the Vouli with these clowns in charge...

Apparently because there was such an outflow of cash, mostly due to the referendum and the inability to get a deal, Greek banks will need about 10 to 14 billion euros. The entire financial sector will probably need to be restructured with some of the major banks needing to be completely recapitalized!

Original21 don't fall for the Greek drama my friend....They're not split, it will pass signed sealed and delivered....

They are extremely split... the extreme left part of Syriza which is basically lead by Lazafanis came out said they are voting No live on TV. The more moderates lead by Tsipras are voting Yes. KKE and GD are also voting no. ND, Pasok, To Potami, and half of Syriza are voting yes, it should be enough to pass but it will be very close.

LMAO, Tsipras and Syriza get elected on " No more Austerity"  "Enough is Enough"  " The Greek people have suffered enough". He rejects deal after deal, he even calls a referendum to see what the Greek people want. A big NO is passed, people dancing, drinking , celebrating on the streets. What does he do? He brings the same deal that was offered months ago, back to the table. WTF???

The elderly and sick are suffering, banks are closed, people can't even get to their money. suffering all around. Everyone blaming the wealthy Europeans for all of this. I would say Tsipras is the blame of all of this. He really is a mental case ,a failure.

The world world is laughing at Greece now. Who will take this country serious.  Its like a person hiding and making excuses to a debt collector when they owe money on a credit card. Making excuse after excuse.

My poor Greece.

Edited by Torontoblue
  • Like it 1

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom (hopefully we have) to fully understand the implications of what needs to happen and why.  Some how, he has galvanized all of his opposition (at the expense of his own party) in giving him 100% support on getting a deal, unfathomable even a few weeks ago.....Because of what has happened, I see the reforms being implemented this time.

I think elections are looming... Too many people from Syriza voted no, unless they leave themselves or Tsipras kicks them out the government will fall.

15 other Syriza members voted yes just so the government doesn't fall, they really wanted to vote No. I hope we don't need to have elections

Edited by Original 21

Yup thats what I think too.  This Syriza party needs to go.  Greek people need to wake up and stop electing lunatics.  Golden Dawn and Syriza shouldn't even get 5% of the vote.  I can't believe some of the Syriza idiots still are Pro-Drachma.  Get the hell out of here with that nonsense.  

Yup thats what I think too.  This Syriza party needs to go.  Greek people need to wake up and stop electing lunatics.  Golden Dawn and Syriza shouldn't even get 5% of the vote.  I can't believe some of the Syriza idiots still are Pro-Drachma.  Get the hell out of here with that nonsense.  

If elections were held today, SYRIZA would not go: they would be in government with a clear majority - no coalition partner required.

As for going back to a national currency, that is a legitimate alternative and one that should not be dismissed.

The thing is:

1. Far too much scaremongering has been going on concerning it

2. That is not what the people want right now.

62% of Greeks voted against austerity, and what does Tsipras do? He comes back with even more harsh austerity measures. He lost a lot of support last night from the Greek people and in his own party. Because only 145 Syriza/Anel delegates voted for it they NEED to have elections or make serious changes to the government because they lost the majority.

Greek debt crisis: Goldman Sachs could be sued for helping hide debts when it joined euro

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/greek-debt-crisis-goldman-sachs-could-be-sued-for-helping-country-hide-debts-when-it-joined-euro-10381926.html

what a waste of time that referendum was, Greeks vote no but tough s%$#!, your vote counts for nothing because your government sold you out to the troika. 

its also sold anything that can make money for Greece to creditors. Cheers Tsiparas, you should be shot. 

At least you knew where you stood with other governments, this clown was elected to make a stand against the EU. 

Now our debt will now increase, next bailout will come with more privatisation and brutal cuts.

Greek debt crisis: Goldman Sachs could be sued for helping hide debts when it joined euro

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/greek-debt-crisis-goldman-sachs-could-be-sued-for-helping-country-hide-debts-when-it-joined-euro-10381926.html

what a waste of time that referendum was, Greeks vote no but tough s%$#!, your vote counts for nothing because your government sold you out to the troika. 

its also sold anything that can make money for Greece to creditors. Cheers Tsiparas, you should be shot. 

At least you knew where you stood with other governments, this clown was elected to make a stand against the EU. 

Now our debt will now increase, next bailout will come with more privatisation and brutal cuts.

It was a waste of time but 95% of the people who voted NO wanted to stay in the Euro so nobody got sold out.  Only a few hardline 1918 Lenin communists wanted to leave to go to the drachma.  Why are you so bent up on privatization.  You obviously haven't dealt with doing anything with the Greek government in Greece and what a joke it is.  Let someone else run the regional airports.  Not some clowns who hire their whole family and do nothing but lose money.  If the last 2 weeks wasn't a wake up call to you and all the Drachma lovers, then God help you guys.  If old people waiting in lines to get 120 Euros and people going from pharmacy to pharmacy to get insulin and cancer drugs but can't find any didn't bother then the Drachma people are some twisted people.