Phantis Forums

Greece Qualifying Chances.....

J1078

Honestly after the way they've played I should have no confidence and faith that they can pull this off but for some reason I think they're going to sneak in. I deserve to get blasted from you guys for my stupid optimism.

Pretty depressing that we'd be able to still progress with yet another draw in there. Positive, I guess, but depressing that the system has to bend over backwards to let us through.

Who gives a fork re!! Come June next year it will be even MORE depressing if we're not there. It'll be heartbreaking!

You could say that.

There were warning signs but they were ignored as Attilio went on a power trip

I dealt with Attilio's worst side on the inital site, he basically used his powers to abuse and suppress me. I'm not surprised the guy is sitting in that seat all day with fk all to do.

Can't see us getting anything against N.Ireland.

By the time we play them, they may be without a home field as one of the two stands in use today has been found to have cracks.

Should the game be held in England - which is likely - the crowd will probably be split 50-50.

Besides that, NI are playing to the max of their ability and I don't know if they can keep that up.

• Like it 1

The trouble is they can score goals. We couldn't score in a brothel with a blank cheque in our hand!

I'm not questioning that we aren't the better team, we are miles better than any of the dross in this group. But unfortunately as we have an inability to score goals we are at a distinct disadvantage even against crap like N.Ireland and the Faroe Islands. Where they need one or two chances to score we need 10!

Until we can address that I can't see us sneaking away wins.  

Edited by Chris Tsamados

Chris is it possible that this said brothel doesn't accept cheques though?

Very few businesses in this day and age accept these promissory notes. For example let's say we hand over this blank cheque, we try and "score" with the lady or ladies then go on our merry way. The madam of the brothel tries to bank the cheque the next day, however it ultimately "bounces". We technically didn't pay for the service so the brothel business is out of pocket.

I'm not sure where I was going with this...you put me off with the cheque in a brothel metaphor.

^ Wtf lol, I see how that could side track you...

I agree with Chris that it seems like we need multiple chances to score and all the other teams capitalize on one or two chances which does put us at a disadvantage and that is because we are not use to dominating matches with possession we get nervous when we have the ball in an attacking situation, but let's not forget it use to be the other way around and I'm not talking about playing minnows either this goes back a long ways where Greece would get dominated and then finally after a counter or a set piece we would find a way to score, for example when we beat Russia in the Euros 1-0 they dominated us, or when we beat the Czech Republic at the Euro 2004 same thing, and there have been many examples like this. We were always the team to sit back and get dominated and then find a way to score on the few chances we've had the entire match.

• 4 weeks later...

^ Even though chances are slim we do still have a small chance, but we cannot drop anymore points pretty much all wins from here on in. if we don't get 3 points against the Islands who will park the bus and play for the tie we are finished.

• 3 weeks later...

During this Euro 2016 Qualifying campaign, Greece have lacked that fight & passion which has got them results against more technically gifted teams in the past. Past captains Theo Zagorakis, Angelos Basinas & Giorgos Karagounis made sure his men left their heart & sole on the football pitch.

Edited by Greekaroos

^ that would be ideal, I still don't want to look ahead I only want to focus on the Faroe Islands because I don't think it's going to be an easy victory, are we do for a win yes are we do to score yes, but The Faroe Islands have kept every game close, and honestly by no means is this going to be a cake walk, I'm actually worried about this game, at this point I don't think we should be looking ahead, we need to focus one game at a time and try to crawl back into this some how, but I do agree with you were it would be great to be all square after two games

• 2 weeks later...

Pash, it's not odd. I want to go to matches near the French-Belgian (about a two-hours drive) so I want to apply for tickets in the cities of Lens and Lille, whatever teams will face each other. Just to get the Euro-experience with my sons.

Later on one can apply for the preferred country.

Edited by Dutch Eagle

The reason we will not qualify, is because we play attractive football...Trying that is!!! I know it must be Santos fault because he failed to develop all the soft players, we're watching making a mockery out of this great sport. We will not qualify simply because we have no system, and the players have no work ethic, with no desire to do what it takes to qualify!!! No leaders, coaching sucks, and the players are low quality...With the exception of a few. After this nightmare is over, we will hire a real coach...Like Santos...To develop the talent we have, and play the system we can handle...If you want TI KI TAKA...Play Greece in video games and get your fix. End this nightmare please!!!!

When did Santos over achieve? Well he did take us past the group stages at his 2 major tournaments.. Some will say this was over achieving.

Our failures during this campaign have nothing to do with Santos in my opinion. Cant hold him responsible for the lack of heart, willingness to fight, we have shown. 

When did Santos over achieve?

Santos's inability to move away from players in their mid 30's is a big reason we have seen the crap we have this campaign

Rubbish. Almost all of the players well over 30 were eventually left out by Santos (Charisteas, Kafes etc. etc.). After Euro 2012 Karagounis were used mainly as a sub (he and Katsouranis rarely were on the pitch at the same time). In the World Cup there were only 6 players in the squad who were over 30 - Karagounis, Katsouranis, Salpingidis, Gekas, Vyntra, Moras. The last two didnt play at all, Gekas was used mainly because of Mitroglous lesser form after his injury, Salpingidis was in the starting 11, and Karagounis or Katsouranis too. That means only two and a half player was over thirty in the starting eleven in the WC - so much for the statement Santos played a lot of old players. Ranieri didnt understand Greek football at all and was possibly in the pocket of the owner of AEK (call-ups of Mantalos & Bakakis), he was the reason the production of the team was crap after the World Cup.

He got results for us at the expense of our future

That isnt true. His successor only should have continued his work, he didnt sacrifice the future. His starting XI and tactics should have only slightly modified and developed (just as Santos developed the Rehhagel team). Salpingidis should have been replaced by Fetfatzidis in the starting eleven, and Katsouranis should have been used as a sub after WC, that would have given a team like this: Karnezis - Torosidis, Manolas, Papastathopoulos, Holebas - Kone, Maniatis, Samaris - Fetfatzidis, Mitroglou, Samaras. (Most probably these alternations would have been effected by Santos himself if he would have stayed - remember that after Euro 2012 Karagounis and Gekas became backup players.) He gave opportunity for youngsters too (Manolas, Tzavellas, Fetfatzidis, Samaris, Christodoulopoulos, Siovas, Mitroglou, Tachtsidis).

Edited by La Mendel
  • Like it 1

Making the round of 16 at the world cup, is it not considered over achieving?

Every expert outside of Greece predicted us 3rd or 4the to finish in the division, based on our talent....We made the round of 16, how is that not over achieving? And lost in penalty kicks, in a game that all the world experts called Costa Rica goal keeper brilliant....And the MVP of the match...Greece outplayed a team, that had no problem beating Italy.

Put this threw your heads....When this nightmare is over...You will see our brand of soccer come back...The one and the only one....Built tough with pride...And I cannot wait until this garbage we're witnessing comes to a end!!!!

You are right in every way but one. Practically we had already our brand of soccer back against Hungary. The team played fairly well (after the Ranieri affair), if only Klaus would have been able to find the net.