Phantis Forums

Greece Qualifying Chances.....

J1078

I forgot about the playoffs if you are the third seed in your group.

Eight third seed teams qualify and I think there are nine groups. (so one team is left out)

Just looking at the Group itself it will be difficult to qualify. Hungary basically has to tie or lose to Finland and then lose to both N. Ireland and Romania.

N. Ireland and Romania has to beat or tie Finland and then Greece has to win out. Winning out includes wins over Hungary and Finland.

Any more ties for Greece and then are done.

It's possible that it could go down to the last qualifying game against Hungary at home in October.

If by some miracle they do qualify then the team will be on an upswing going into the tournament.

When the next two games are completed for all squads we'll know a lot more as to where the team stands.

It can go a couple different ways at the end of the day to control our own destiny by having the last game against Hungary count we just need to make up 3 points on Hungary because then if we win the last game against them we get third spot on head to head matches. Even though we'd be tied in points, so even if Hungary beat Finland as long as we win we are still alive. Even if Hungary beat Finland but lose to Romania and tie Northern Ireland and beat Faroe Islands that would give them 7 points before facing Greece for a total of 15points, even if we won 3 games and tied one that gives us 12 points, so if we beat Hungary the last match we would be in. A bunch of different scenarios can play out. But if we don't beat Faroe Islands it's OVER.

• Like it 1

tiebreakers are decided by head to head matchup between the two teams. So there are 5 games left. Our last game is against Hungary. We need Hungary to lose 1 game in their next 4 games. Greece needs to win their next 4 games. That sets up a matchup between them where we are down by 3 points but a win advances us to the playoff round, regardless of goal difference (similar to how we advanced in 2012).

I forgot about the playoffs if you are the third seed in your group.

Eight third seed teams qualify and I think there are nine groups. (so one team is left out)

Just looking at the Group itself it will be difficult to qualify. Hungary basically has to tie or lose to Finland and then lose to both N. Ireland and Romania.

N. Ireland and Romania has to beat or tie Finland and then Greece has to win out. Winning out includes wins over Hungary and Finland.

Any more ties for Greece and then are done.

It's possible that it could go down to the last qualifying game against Hungary at home in October.

If by some miracle they do qualify then the team will be on an upswing going into the tournament.

When the next two games are completed for all squads we'll know a lot more as to where the team stands.

Top two teams in each group make it 9x2 = 18 teams + Host France = 19 Teams then the best 3rd place team gets direct qualification so now we have 19+1 = 20 Teams and then the 8 other 3rd place teams play for the final 4 spots 20+4 = 24 

and that's how it works

• Like it 1

Haha, nice pix/gif Reaper! 

No, I don't think Greece has any chance of qualification, unless others are thrown out or serious points taken away. Also, I really don't believe we can get more points than the other 3rd finishers. Is only one team out of 9 groups that's left out?

The best would be to keep improving and not finish at the bottom of the group. Actually, this may be a good time for Markarian to introduce/develop new talent.

Who the hell picked Ranieri? This coach has made more money but not coaching! Seriously, he gets big contracts but he's fired early and gets paid for the remainder of the contract.

Markarian can be good. He coached some Latin America national squad recently. For years I wanted him to come back to PAO. I think he's too old to be coaching every week now on a league team.

tiebreakers are decided by head to head matchup between the two teams. So there are 5 games left. Our last game is against Hungary. We need Hungary to lose 1 game in their next 4 games. Greece needs to win their next 4 games. That sets up a matchup between them where we are down by 3 points but a win advances us to the playoff round, regardless of goal difference (similar to how we advanced in 2012).

Ouch that will be extremely hard the way we're playing. Romania and Northern Ireland away will be difficult, in reality we need Hungary to drop another game at minimum.

Guys to give up, yes it's hard but in June if we beat Faroe and Hungary lose or even tie against Finland all of a sudden we are 3 or 4 Points out. I still think this greek team will find away to get into the playoffs. I can totally see Hungary getting 2 ties 2 losses and one win in there last 5 and us going 4 wins one tie

Edited by J1078

Hungary are a weak squad and I have no doubt they will drop points.

However, we have N. Ireland and Romania away and I'm not sure we'll get max points out of these games.

On a separate note: Cracks have been found in the West stand of Windsor Park. As it is, the South and East stands are being renovated and are out of commission. N. Ireland will have to decide to play their games with only the North stand in use or move their home games elsewhere (possibly even to England).

Pretty depressing that we'd be able to still progress with yet another draw in there. Positive, I guess, but depressing that the system has to bend over backwards to let us through.

Greece predictions

Faore islands 0 Greece 2

Greece 1 Finland 0

Romania 1 Greece 1

Northern Ireland 0 Greece 1

Greece 2 Hungary 1

* Secure 3rd place

I think your picks are reasonable, I think somehow Greece could win in Romania since they might already qualify and bench half of there starters . 

^ I would normally agree with you but I'm pretty sure Romania would love to be the team that officially eliminates Greece from the Euro just as a pay back for us doing that to them for the World Cup.