Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I didn’t know where to post this so I’ll do it here. I don’t wanna hear we lack in the attack anymore. Our midfield is horrendous and thus stifles our attack and puts our defenses in poor positions. Look at Man U this year for example yes ton of other issues but they have great attacking options and not great but definitely not horrid defensive options and a goalie performing great ( doesn’t all that sound familiar) . Results? Horrible season that would have been far worse without Ronaldo pulling hatricks out hid behind. We don’t have a Ronaldo and even if we did Man U still stunk this year. Today, May 11, 2022 we may have witnessed the most prolific scoring by Greeks abroad in our history. Giakoumakis scored 1, Pavlidis scored a brace, Douvikas scored 1, and Limnios scored a brace also. Without midfield without the heart of the team we are nothing. Not to mention Tziolis and maybe Pelkas (ehh). We shouldn’t be referring to a weakness in attacking selections when discussing our team cuz it’s just not true at the moment. 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, kolokotronis99tripoli said:

I didn’t know where to post this so I’ll do it here. I don’t wanna hear we lack in the attack anymore. Our midfield is horrendous and thus stifles our attack and puts our defenses in poor positions. Look at Man U this year for example yes ton of other issues but they have great attacking options and not great but definitely not horrid defensive options and a goalie performing great ( doesn’t all that sound familiar) . Results? Horrible season that would have been far worse without Ronaldo pulling hatricks out hid behind. We don’t have a Ronaldo and even if we did Man U still stunk this year. Today, May 11, 2022 we may have witnessed the most prolific scoring by Greeks abroad in our history. Giakoumakis scored 1, Pavlidis scored a brace, Douvikas scored 1, and Limnios scored a brace also. Without midfield without the heart of the team we are nothing. Not to mention Tziolis and maybe Pelkas (ehh). We shouldn’t be referring to a weakness in attacking selections when discussing our team cuz it’s just not true at the moment. 

Midfield has always been the issue. Ever since Karagounis left the team we’ve gone downhill. He was a big part to our success over the years. Yes we just scraped over the line most of the time but it was because of Karagounis and his leadership, passion, hardwork and also talent that got us over the line. Ofcourse we had better CBs playing back then too than we have now. But I agree with you our midfield is horrendous. We possibly might have the best attack going right now with the players you mentioned, scoring and being in form. If you add Masouras to that list who is always decent for Greece we have plenty of options.

We need to fix our midfield as soon as possible. Also we need to find the right RB also by trying all those options I mentioned in the previous post I made. 

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, kolokotronis99tripoli said:

Watching ESPN right now and they randomly have RB Leipzig playing against Bielefeld and see a guy playing in the midfield our biggest lacking spot name Sebastian Vasiliadis… does he want to play for the German National team or what is the deal? Cuz if not we are stupid not to have him in our starting 11???

He’s already 25 not a whole lot of upside there. Just steady. 

• Like it 2

8 hours ago, kolokotronis99tripoli said:

Watching ESPN right now and they randomly have RB Leipzig playing against Bielefeld and see a guy playing in the midfield our biggest lacking spot name Sebastian Vasiliadis… does he want to play for the German National team or what is the deal? Cuz if not we are stupid not to have him in our starting 11???

How did he play? 

Players called up for the Nation league games starting next month.. I guess we can now comfortably say Manolas and Siovas are done from the NT..

GOALKEEPERS

VLACH

PASCH

ATHANASIADIS

DIOUDIS

DEFENDERS

TZAVELLAS

HATZIDIAKOS

MAVROPANOS

GOUTAS

KOTSIRAS

ROTA

TSIMIKAS

GIANNOULIS

MIDFIELDERS

ALEXANDROPOULOS

KOURBELIS

BOUCH

SIOPIS

PAPANIKOLAU

BAKASETAS

MATNALOS

CHATZIGIOVANIS

LIMINOS

MASOURAS

ATTACKERS

PAVLIDIS

DOUVIKAS

GIAKOUMAKIS

FOUNTAS

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

43 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Players called up for the Nation league games starting next month.. I guess we can now comfortably say Manolas and Siovas are done from the NT..

GOALKEEPERS

VLACH

PASCH

ATHANASIADIS

DIOUDIS

DEFENDERS

TZAVELLAS

HATZIDIAKOS

MAVROPANOS

GOUTAS

KOTSIRAS

ROTA

TSIMIKAS

GIANNOULIS

MIDFIELDERS

ALEXANDROPOULOS

KOURBELIS

BOUCH

SIOPIS

PAPANIKOLAU

BAKASETAS

MATNALOS

CHATZIGIOVANIS

LIMINOS

MASOURAS

ATTACKERS

PAVLIDIS

DOUVIKAS

GIAKOUMAKIS

FOUNTAS

No Lyratzis is upsetting. Other than that and the obvious Manolas/Siovas omission, pretty standard stuff.

• Like it 2

Disappointing call ups once again. What’s the point of following the team if your going to get the same standard crap… No Tzolis and Fortounis means we will have no creativity in the midfield and the attack again. Only positive for me is the inclusion of Fountas as he should start but I feel like he won’t see much game time if any. I guess Manolas, Siovas and Sokratis are no longer part of the plans so unfortunately that means we see more of Tzavellas.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 3

Tzolis has been stealing money from Norwich all year. He doesn’t deserve to be called up. Paok absolutely robbed Norwich. Will he be good one day? Maybe. I hope so. But right now he’s terrible. He can’t even get on the field on the worst team. As for the call ups, if they can’t beat these teams even with their 3 rd stringers then there’s a problem. No excuse about call ups. That excuse has been used for 10 years. Turn the page. 

• Like it 2

28 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Disappointing call ups once again. What’s the point of following the team if your going to get the same standard crap… No Tzolis and Fortounis means we will have no creativity in the midfield and the attack again. Only positive for me is the inclusion of Fountas as he should start but I feel like he won’t see much game time if any. I guess Manolas, Siovas and Sokratis are no longer part of the plans so unfortunately that means we see more of Tzavellas.

Ya I don’t get not calling up Tzolis & Fortounis especially vs N Ireland who like to sit back. It will be tough breaking them down. Even Italy had a tough time with them in the final wcup qualifier which ended 0-0. 

• Like it 2

Not too many changes from what we've seen in the past. Interesting that Kourbelis, Papanikolaou and Fountas have come into the squad.

Don't know much about Papanikolaou but I think he plays in a DM / CM position for Rakow who are 2nd in the Polish league and just won the cup. That's good. We need these type of players.  

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 2

5 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Tzolis has been stealing money from Norwich all year. He doesn’t deserve to be called up. Paok absolutely robbed Norwich. Will he be good one day? Maybe. I hope so. But right now he’s terrible. He can’t even get on the field on the worst team. As for the call ups, if they can’t beat these teams even with their 3 rd stringers then there’s a problem. No excuse about call ups. That excuse has been used for 10 years. Turn the page. 

That’s not fair to Tziolis. He played in one cup game before he got hurt and scored a brace and had a few assists. Not saying he is the Greek Messi but it’s pretty obvious he wasn’t given a fair shot at Norwich. They give him 2 min cameos at the end of matches, maybe it’s his attitude in training but there is no excuse you don’t play ur young kid when ur already relegated to at least see what you have in him. 

• Like it 3

9 hours ago, kolokotronis99tripoli said:

That’s not fair to Tziolis. He played in one cup game before he got hurt and scored a brace and had a few assists. Not saying he is the Greek Messi but it’s pretty obvious he wasn’t given a fair shot at Norwich. They give him 2 min cameos at the end of matches, maybe it’s his attitude in training but there is no excuse you don’t play ur young kid when ur already relegated to at least see what you have in him. 

I’ve watched a lot of the English league for years. Although you could be right, I would assume he has to earn his playing time. If he was good enough, the owner would have been putting pressure on the coach to play him considering he spent all this money on him. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see this kid cutting it in the best league in the world. 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

I’ve watched a lot of the English league for years. Although you could be right, I would assume he has to earn his playing time. If he was good enough, the owner would have been putting pressure on the coach to play him considering he spent all this money on him. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see this kid cutting it in the best league in the world. 

I just hope now that they’re relegated he gets to play in the championship and show what he’s got 

• Like it 2

Honestly I was hoping with a new coaching change we would have seen Manolas or at least Siovas back along with Fortounis who can create space and open up defences. Even if he’s at 70% ready he’s still our best option. For me I don’t think we will see much of a difference with this team that we seen in the past.. I hope I’m wrong but I see they same thing playing over and over again with this team. 

• Like it 3

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

Honestly I was hoping with a new coaching change we would have seen Manolas or at least Siovas back along with Fortounis who can create space and open up defences. Even if he’s at 70% ready he’s still our best option. For me I don’t think we will see much of a difference with this team that we seen in the past.. I hope I’m wrong but I see they same thing playing over and over again with this team. 

Fortounis has the vision to carve up opposing defences unlike no other player at our disposal. We are not going to see Bakasetas giving nice through balls to our strikers that’s for sure. Also no Tzolis? We saw his quality when he came on in the wcup qualifier vs Sweden and gave them fits and Greece won 2-1. He hasn’t been playing at Norwich but the coaches Farke and Dean Smith don’t know wtf they were doing and I’m glad to see them get relegated. 

• Like it 2

Tzolis is just 20. Has enormous potential, but the reality is when given the chances at Norwich, his performances weren't good enough. 

He needs to be managed well, and in hindsight would have been better to go a different league where he could get more playing time, and develop his game. But when PL comes knocking, and the signing fee is lucrative for a 19 y.o., it's a life changing opportunity and you can't say No. Saying that, we don't know what is going behind the scenes, if he's happy or not. Probably not, as he is not getting much opportunity to play with a club that's relegated. I am certain, that Norwich believed they had a gem and that the price they were picking him up for was a bargain.

If you look at Liverpool, they bought Tzimikas for a similar price (I think it was a bit more, 12-13k) and he has been there for nearly 2 years, and while not a regualr starter, getting more game time now, he's defenitely improved, definitely happy and enjoying his time at Liverpool, and I would say his market value has gone up, or is expected to go up over the summer break.

• Like it 1

I’ve seen Tzolis play some games in the EPL when he’s been given a chance and he didn’t put a foot wrong. He played nice passes and got into goal scoring situations and gave his teammates good opportunities to score. He also tracked back a lot too. It’s not his fault. Norwich are just crap. We got a player like Tzolis who is still young and full of potential and really is a rare player to have for Greece. In my opinion he’s our best winger/attacker. Just like Alexandropoulos is our best CM in my opinion. Fortounis on his day is our best CAM. I agree with @J1078 Fortounis is still our best CAM even at 70%.

The call ups are all wrong. This is the same team that JVS picked. They are choosing the same failed players again. Nothing will change. We have Nikolaou who is always playing in the Serie A but they rather go with Tzavellas who is not even wanted at his club. Vasiliadis plays Bundesliga every week but never gets a chance. Manolas and Siovas are ignored again. They are not picking the best players…

• Like it 4