Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

On 2/23/2022 at 4:30 PM, Dean97 said:

He plays in the Netherlands now which is a better league than the Polish. He should’ve gotten more chances at Olympiakos as the current RB isn’t good enough. If players like Rota, Mavrias and Bakakis got chances then why not give Masouras a chance. As he is better than all of them in my opinion. We also have other untried players like Kitsiou and Kotsiras. 

Kotsiras should have got a chance to play at RB for the Ethniki but the clown JVS wanted to go with the players you stated. JVS sabotaged us in the wcup qualifiers with his foolish call ups and playing players out of their natural positions. At least under Poyet we will not watch Tsimikas playing at CB. 

Let’s assume that everyone is back and available this is what I hope Poyet would do. He likes the 4-3-3. So I hope he picks something like this:

Vlachodimos 

Masouras Manolas Mavropanos Tsimikas

Galanopoulos 

Fortounis Alexandropoulos 

Masouras Giakoumakis Tzolis 

• Like it 3

I'd swap Alexandropoulos to be DM, with Galanopoulos to be CM. Would Poyet play 4 3 3 ? He will fall into line like all the others and play safety first with a 4 2 3 1. That would mean Kourbelis, Bouchalakis Zeca and Siopis come into the frame again. The fear will always be for this team, to never have only one DM. They always want two of them.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

16 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Let’s assume that everyone is back and available this is what I hope Poyet would do. He likes the 4-3-3. So I hope he picks something like this:

Vlachodimos 

Masouras Manolas Mavropanos Tsimikas

Galanopoulos 

Fortounis Alexandropoulos 

Masouras Giakoumakis Tzolis 

Great lineup if everyone is fit. 

• 2 weeks later...
Thoughts -
• Happy to see what Nikolaou can bring to the defense 😊
• Tzavellas, Stafylidis back - oh god 😩Tzav’s club form has been poor, Staf… 🤢
• Rota, please keep calm in the box 😳 (good in attack)
• Kourfalidis 😮👍
• Vrousai, proven nothing at NT level 😏 would rather give the chance to Albanis, Lamprou or even Fetfatzidis
• Decent attacking options, keen to see how Poyet uses them 🙂 Would like to see Alexandropoulos get game time at this level

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 1

Michailidis unfortunately suffered a serious knee injury over the weekend and will be out until October/November. 

As for Lyratzis and Tsingaras it seems odd he didn't select them, although there is some speculation that he left them out as the under 21's have important qualifiers. 

Kyriakopoulos deserves a call-up, become a locked in starter at Sassuolo this season. He's having a terrific year. 

Interesting to see only one traditional right-back in the squad, I wonder if he's considering using Vrousai at right back potentially given he did recently have a decent game for Olympiakos there and has played there in the past. Also don't quote me but I think Stafylidis may have spent some of this season playing right back for Bochum, so that maybe another option Poyet is considering. 

Overall there is nothing inspiring about those call-ups, I was looking forward to Lyratzis/Tsingaras. A few strange options as per every ethinki squad but let's see what Poyet's game plan and tactics look like. 

Edited by paokarag4

Would’ve liked to have seen Lamprou, I’ve always rated him. Thank you Alphonse 👍 someone else who thinks Fetfatzidis can still offer something. 

Would’ve liked to have a mostly different squad but what can you do. I hope he realises who deserves to be there and who doesn’t. Happy to see Kourfalidis in the team. I would like to see what he offers.

• Like it 2

I would say 90% of the squad is as expected.

Somewhat surprising is the omission of Giannoulis. Is he injured? I know he's not a starter at Norwich. He's brought in Kyriakopoulos, Nicolaou, Zota and Stafylidis and kept Goutas but has left out Manolas, Siovas and Soc. Kyriakopoulos and Nicolaou are regulars for their clubs in Italy and deserve the call up.

The big surprise is the introduction of 19yo Kourfalidis who I have never heard of before. Here's what his coach thinks of him

"According to Matsari, the Greek is a modern midfielder who combines athletic skills with technical training and maturity, while spreading his leadership qualities on the grass without hesitating to either fall with force in battle whenever needed or to attack. Elements that pushed Cagliari to proceed with the early renewal of his contract, which expired in the summer of 2023, until June 2026." 🙂

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, kbxk508 said:

I would say 90% of the squad is as expected.

Somewhat surprising is the omission of Giannoulis. Is he injured? I know he's not a starter at Norwich. He's brought in Kyriakopoulos, Nicolaou, Zota and Stafylidis and kept Goutas but has left out Manolas, Siovas and Soc. Kyriakopoulos and Nicolaou are regulars for their clubs in Italy and deserve the call up.

The big surprise is the introduction of 19yo Kourfalidis who I have never heard of before. Here's what his coach thinks of him

"According to Matsari, the Greek is a modern midfielder who combines athletic skills with technical training and maturity, while spreading his leadership qualities on the grass without hesitating to either fall with force in battle whenever needed or to attack. Elements that pushed Cagliari to proceed with the early renewal of his contract, which expired in the summer of 2023, until June 2026." 🙂

Regarding Manolas, Soivas Korubelis the plan was to call them up but they have a busy schedule so he left them sit out of the friendlies but plans to have them for the Nations League games in June.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:36 AM, J1078 said:

Regarding Manolas, Soivas Korubelis the plan was to call them up but they have a busy schedule so he left them sit out of the friendlies but plans to have them for the Nations League games in June.

I vaguely remember another coach doing the same thing and that didn't exactly pan out for him.....I don't see any major difference in the call ups either. Mavropanos has played 2 of his last 3 starts at Stuttgart at RB so I wonder if he is being looked at for this position. I think Saliakas would have been another option at RB as I find Rota underwhelming at times. I'm glad Lyratzis got he call up but I think he would be starting for sure for the U21 where as he might just be a spectator during the friendlies and Saliakas has been arguably the best Greek RB over the course of the year. Strange to see only 1 defensive mid. in the callups....I think this will be a good change in the overall set up of the team,

• Like it 2

If he does bring up Manolas and Sokratis for important games and Lyratzis after the big U21 games, then I think the team is actually pretty exciting.

Vlachodimos              - Paschalakis is proving to be no slouch

Lyratzis Manolas Sokratis Tsimikas           - Kyrakopoulos potentially

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME WE HAD THIS SOLID OF A BACK 4 AND KEEPER????? Exciting stufff

Our midfield is poop tho. 

Giannoulis, Pavlidis, DOuvikas, and Tziolis up front is very exciting too we just need something, anything in our midfield

• Like it 3

On 3/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, Ellada2004 said:

Reports from England state George Baldock is very close to obtaining his Greek citizenship. Also Olympiakos are looking at a potential deal to bring him in as well. 

Giorgos Mpordokoglou, bravo re maik! 

A front three of

Masouras  Giakoumakis Tzolis/Limnios is pretty 'excitement' too.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2

On 3/21/2022 at 6:03 AM, Dean97 said:

If we see a midfield of Bouchalakis, Bakasetas and Siopis then it’s pointless. Might aswell mix it up, give Alexandropoulos 2 full 90 minute games. Give some time to Kourfalidis too.

Alexandropoulos better get lots of playing time. Fortounis should be back in the fold for NL games.

• Like it 2