Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Ninis was a great talent. I will always remember that goal beautiful goal he scored vs Israel in the 2012 Euro qualifier that gave us the win. 
He’s just way to inconsistent in the last number of years to get a call up.

From a technical ability not many are as good, he is very good with support play and one of the more creative Greeks but again, all academic, as I said, unless he becomes a consistent starter and sets the world on fire it simply won’t happen. 

Edited by Alphonse

8 hours ago, PaokCT said:

I agree with you but what good things has he shown this year ? I can’t say I watch his games but people can’t see one good game in 5 years and say this guy is national team material. He’s played 6 games for Volos and only started 1. There’s roughly 20 Greeks i would chose over him in the middle of the field. 

Hopefully he starts gaining momentum. I know he’s been without a club for a while and is hitting 31, but he still offers something after the few games I’ve seen him play. He has a lot to do still to get a call up but what have Bouchalakis/Kourbelis/Zeca done so special for us? We need an 8 who is technical and someone who can spray nice passes with vision. Who can do it the way he can? Your not going to get that from our current CMs. 

We should be desperate to find someone who can offer these things...if not him or Mantalos then who is it going to be?

Galanopoulos hasn’t got enough vision I think to properly dominate the 8 position. He’s only slightly more technical and creative than Zeca and Kourbelis in my opinion...

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

I guess Vrousai will be almost always called up in the next 3 or so years. He began recently to play regularly for Olympiacos - like Bouchalakis or Masouras, he will get a call up if he will be available. Cant he play in an AM position? Is he only a winger?

TL;DR: Galanopoulos and the likes are only possibilities but Vrousai is a probability now.

10 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Galanopoulos hasn’t got enough vision I think to properly dominate the 8 position. He’s only slightly more technical and creative than Zeca and Kourbelis in my opinion...

That's what i said few days earlier but people disagreed vastly with that statement.

9 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Vrousai Limnios Masouras that would be at least three options for the winger position in the NT.

Tzolis and Fountas too.

Tasos Donis is the one I like the most but his career has been in a downfall lately. Hopefully he can be back on track, we don't have many other options.

• Like it 1

If anyone is watching Aek today and in the past few weeks, would understand that Svarnas' level is somewhere between bench and rotation player in Panetolikos, but either someone is beyond retarded to choose him over Manolas and Siovas, or there's something else going on with certain Aek players being called up in the team to raise up their stocks (like Bakakis or previously Barkas to name some)

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Boxou said:

Tzolis and Fountas too.

Tasos Donis is the one I like the most but his career has been in a downfall lately. Hopefully he can be back on track, we don't have many other options.

I would love to see Donis back in the fold. Hopefully he gets back in good form.

2 hours ago, Boxou said:

If anyone is watching Aek today and in the past few weeks, would understand that Svarnas' level is somewhere between bench and rotation player in Panetolikos, but either someone is beyond retarded to choose him over Manolas and Siovas, or there's something else going on with certain Aek players being called up in the team to raise up their stocks (like Bakakis or previously Barkas to name some)

Watched that game it was an ugly performance from AEK. Svarnas miffed on his attempted clearance and  Leicester Under volleyed it for a goal. Not a good night for Svarnas.

I’n all honesty in order for us to have a chance at 2nd in this group JVS has to call up Manolas and Siovas and then you have a back line of them with Hatz and Tsimikas. You need to bench Bakasetas and have Fortounis in the middle and the wingers should be Tziolis, Liminos, Masouras and Fountas.  I would also like to see Donis he has good one on one speed and quick feet. As far as our Midfield its an Issue and so is the striker position.  Pavlidis hasn’t showed me anything.  

• Like it 2

16 hours ago, J1078 said:

I’n all honesty in order for us to have a chance at 2nd in this group JVS has to call up Manolas and Siovas and then you have a back line of them with Hatz and Tsimikas. You need to bench Bakasetas and have Fortounis in the middle and the wingers should be Tziolis, Liminos, Masouras and Fountas.  I would also like to see Donis he has good one on one speed and quick feet. As far as our Midfield its an Issue and so is the striker position.  Pavlidis hasn’t showed me anything.  

Fat Phil agrees

• Like it 1

21 hours ago, J1078 said:

If JVS can just work things out with Manolas that would be huge! He will shut down and smother the opposition. Siovas should have known better to open his yap like that knowing how JVS runs things. It would be great to have Siovas back too and even Sokratis for his experience and leadership but unfortunately I think he’s done as long as JVS is coaching.

• Like it 1

21 hours ago, J1078 said:

Pavlidis has disappointed after his first few appearances last Euro qualifying. Maybe he can be used as a sub if needed. Also no more Koulouris he drives me crazy. I still can’t believe how he missed that sitter in Italy. 

• Like it 2

What’s happened to Donis? 

Also Pavlidis to me needs more time. There’s something there with him. He does well in the Netherlands. It doesn’t help when you have a very limited player like Bakasetas behind him. That position is very important in helping the team in scoring and creating. Need someone with skill, some pace and intelligence. 

I don’t know why he plays him. Especially when you got 2 other midfielders who aren’t great passers of the ball and who I think are only ball winners and not ball technicians. On top of that every other player is playing out of position like Fortounis at LW and Hatzidiakos at RB. Mavrias  who is also very average to bad. He isn’t the solution. So we are shooting ourselves in the foot in terms of trying to score goals. 

We are not giving ourselves the best chance to score in my opinion. Yes we are attacking way more than before and we are keeping the ball but when it comes to the final third we aren’t executing effectively. 

If we play actual inform wingers (Tzolis) with a better CAM (Fortounis) then there is a higher chance that we can score goals. 

Lastly our biggest problem I think is that we don’t have good enough depth. What I’ve noticed also in the past and currently with this team is that we always have the better players on the bench. We play players who are limited to start off with instead of starting with our best players. I think that’s because we don’t have a strong enough talent pool and by starting our best players our bench would be much weaker so by bringing on a weaker player wouldn’t make sense if your trying to improve the team. 

For example starting Fortounis and Tzolis and then subbing them off for less talented players like Bakasetas and say Mantalos wouldn’t improve us or help us win the game. If that makes any sense...

See if we had strong enough depth and consistency in our talent pool then who we sub in or out wouldn’t be make such a difference.

Pavlidis is finding form again, lets hope he is firing next March as well.

Bakasetas is Not a no.10 he is a more physical hold the opposition off the ball kind of second striker or a no.9

Its not even Baka's fault that JVS and his assistants don't see this as being the case and they play him in the more creative role of the no.10. 

May as well not start Baka or play him as a striker, he has energy and won't just sit up front catching a cold either.

Edited by ausgreek

I’d rather start Mantalos or Pelkas at 10. If that’s not working then bring Fortounis on to do some damage. The opposition would be more tired as the game goes on and Fortounis would have a good amount of energy for 60 or so minutes to do some damage. Maybe Fortounis shouldn’t start. He doesn’t run enough and looks lazy at times. He is easy to mark out of a game as he isn’t that fast (as seen in the game against Porto.) Think about it, he is our star player and teams know that. Bringing him on off the bench maybe the right approach. Especially against better opposition. Against teams like Georgia he should start.

In any case Bakasetas shouldn’t be starting let alone be in the team. That’s just my opinion. We have 3 more talented, faster and skilful CAMs and yet JVS decides to play our slowest and most unskillful CAM. I may be harsh about Bakasetas, but too many times I’ve seen him destroy our momentum in attack because of his uncoordinated and slow style he brings. He is very limited. The only positive in my opinion is his left foot shot. Even then, most of the time is off target. 

Others like Bakakis, Mavrias, Kourbelis, Stafylidis, Tzavellas, Svarnas and Bouchalakis aren’t good enough and won’t take us far in a tournament either. I hope JVS knows this.

Suggested lineup against Spain:

if we really want to go for in this qualification campaign we really need JVS and Manolas to solve their problems as he is our best defender and is no doubt needed against the experienced attack of Spain. That being said him and Mavropanos could make for a deadly duo; with Dinos impressing in Germany. 

Vlachodimos

Bakakis Manolas Mavropano Tsimikas

Zeca Bouchalakis   
                        Fortounis  

Limnios           Pavlidis                Tzolis 

Also the possibility of Baldock being called up for that RB spot. 
Though the likelihood of JVS and Manolas sorting things out  between them is very unlikely due to the big ego’s of both individuals, it would benefit the Ethniki, and further improve our qualification chances.

We have a lot of time until the qualifiers start, which is on March 25.

considering we have Baldock and the coch monitoring the fact that Retsos and Mavropanos have been playing relatively consistently in Germany and France, I would love to see Siovas and Manolas back.  This would give us a solid defence to at least look competitive. 

• Like it 2