Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

• 2 weeks later...

I have been quiet lately on these forums, I guess I should give some input. I like Koulierakis from PAOK he seems to have it all at the age of 18. I feel Konstantelias is talented especially on the ball but has a lot to improve such as putting on more muscle and finishing. I don’t know why Koulierakis doesn’t get game time for the senior team. It wouldn’t hurt to see him in friendlies. The EPO and coach should be smarter to give these types of players game time. It would help with there development and help them improve. Also get a better contract in a better league. All I want is for our players to improve.

I’m tired of saying the same things that’s why I haven’t been on. I’m also tired of seeing the same things when it comes to the league and national team. That’s why I haven’t been on these forums and I feel like I’m almost giving up. Why do we have to see the same old players get called up for? Why can’t we change it around especially in friendlies? I know the answer it’s because no one wants Greece to progress in football and they are more out for the money. It’s tiring. 

Theres no reason why countries who have a less population than us produce more players and make the tournaments and we don’t. Examples are like Croatia and Portugal. There’s need to some sort of structure and plan in place. Someone has to care for the betterment of football in Greece. We haven’t got many players playing in the top 5 leagues and we should. We have some exciting young players coming through but even they need improving and with time they will. I believe the national team needs more these young players in the team mixed in with players that play at the highest level. 

There’s also not many Greeks playing the league itself. Only PAOK seem to be giving chances to Greeks. 

Also how many times do we have to see Bouchalakis and Kourbelis in the midfield. It doesn’t work. I have to give some praise to Bakasetas though, I have been very critical with him he’s actually been scoring goals and assisting for Greece and that’s all we can ask for. He’s still isn’t our best footballer but if he can score the goals and assist I’m not complaining. 

I talk like this because I really want the best for Greek football and the national team I just wish the higher ups did too. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

We haven’t seen players like Samaris and Tachtsidis for ages. So what has Bouchalakis and Kourbelis done so special to play all the time? I’m not saying the first 2 are better but it’s not like the other 2 are much better either. 

I don’t like to limit our options as everyone should be in contention. Especially if your good enough and can make a positive difference to the team. But in our case something isn’t working since we aren’t making tournaments and our next group for euro qualifiers will be more difficult unfortunately. It’s time to trust our younger players. 

We’ve given citizenship to Vasiliadis. And we have not seen him once. We have Greek German players that should get citizenship just to expand our options. I understand national teams coaches pick players based on form and matches played but in our case this method doesn’t work. We should try different methods and see what works. Like for example players who are 27 with and not playing in the top 5 leagues should not be called up with a few exceptions like Vlachodimos. Then give young players who are 18-24 more chances to play. The thing is we need to change things around and give everyone a chance because we could find out that some players are better than others. Doing the same thing isn’t working. We need to go the next level.

• Like it 2

I think it starts with the Super League in general.  They tend to favor starting foreign/older players. The youth development of the league  is the main reason why the national team does not excel.  The national team is not the place for development - they should already be developed by the time they get there.  

Portugal has access to Brazilian players. Belgium and Croatia are better examples of countries we should try to emulate in terms of youth development. A few years back, Belgium did a study and found in order to be exceptional at something, in this case football, you need to devote x number of hours a week to your craft.  They installed that model throughout their youth development programs and what you got is their "golden" generation.  They might not have won any tourneys, but they have produced some exceptional players.

• Like it 3

11 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

I think it starts with the Super League in general.  They tend to favor starting foreign/older players. The youth development of the league  is the main reason why the national team does not excel.  The national team is not the place for development - they should already be developed by the time they get there.  

Portugal has access to Brazilian players. Belgium and Croatia are better examples of countries we should try to emulate in terms of youth development. A few years back, Belgium did a study and found in order to be exceptional at something, in this case football, you need to devote x number of hours a week to your craft.  They installed that model throughout their youth development programs and what you got is their "golden" generation.  They might not have won any tourneys, but they have produced some exceptional players.

I have to agree with most things you said. I just think with Greece it’s different, most players don’t develop or improve over time. I agree the national team is not a place to develop players but at the same time some seem to have more talent than those who are more experienced. A good combination is what we should look for. But I think it’s better to give players a chance when they are inform or have some momentum. Some young players like Koulierakis and Konstantelias have momentum and are playing well. Might aswell give them a chance to get used to international football as they have the talent and are the future. I also think it’s more about what someone can offer over someone else. In the end though the best of the best should playing.

Konstantelias pulled off a man of the match performance recently against Atromitos. He’s skilful and quick and would be useful. PAOK seem like to be the only team wanting to produce Greek players. 

Also interestingly Bouchalakis hasn’t played much football lately as the Korean midfielder Hwang has taken his place and rightfully so. Kourbelis also seems like a rotational player these days. It hard to keep an eye on the league when there are so many foreigners playing but I’d rather keep an eye on the Greeks and see how they are doing. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

On 12/29/2022 at 7:14 PM, Dean97 said:

I have been quiet lately on these forums, I guess I should give some input. I like Koulierakis from PAOK he seems to have it all at the age of 18. I feel Konstantelias is talented especially on the ball but has a lot to improve such as putting on more muscle and finishing. I don’t know why Koulierakis doesn’t get game time for the senior team. It wouldn’t hurt to see him in friendlies. The EPO and coach should be smarter to give these types of players game time. It would help with there development and help them improve. Also get a better contract in a better league. All I want is for our players to improve.

I’m tired of saying the same things that’s why I haven’t been on. I’m also tired of seeing the same things when it comes to the league and national team. That’s why I haven’t been on these forums and I feel like I’m almost giving up. Why do we have to see the same old players get called up for? Why can’t we change it around especially in friendlies? I know the answer it’s because no one wants Greece to progress in football and they are more out for the money. It’s tiring. 

Theres no reason why countries who have a less population than us produce more players and make the tournaments and we don’t. Examples are like Croatia and Portugal. There’s need to some sort of structure and plan in place. Someone has to care for the betterment of football in Greece. We haven’t got many players playing in the top 5 leagues and we should. We have some exciting young players coming through but even they need improving and with time they will. I believe the national team needs more these young players in the team mixed in with players that play at the highest level. 

There’s also not many Greeks playing the league itself. Only PAOK seem to be giving chances to Greeks. 

Also how many times do we have to see Bouchalakis and Kourbelis in the midfield. It doesn’t work. I have to give some praise to Bakasetas though, I have been very critical with him he’s actually been scoring goals and assisting for Greece and that’s all we can ask for. He’s still isn’t our best footballer but if he can score the goals and assist I’m not complaining. 

I talk like this because I really want the best for Greek football and the national team I just wish the higher ups did too. 

Good points Dean. I personally think Greece are heading in the right direction after the NL with Poyet & the team seems to be unified. It will be a tough Euro qualification group for sure with France & Holland but I think we can battle for second spot with Holland. If we do come up short we have the NL playoff and we will qualify from there. It’s been very tough not qualifying for the last 4 tournaments but let’s not forget Greece came within a playoff for 2018 World Cup but we ran into Croatia and they were a loaded side and eventual finalists. It didn’t help that for the first leg Manolas was unjustly suspended and that gave Croatia a huge advantage. 2020 Euro qualifying we started off well but all the in fighting costed us and losing Fortounis for the last 6 matches was a huge blow also. The last World Cup we had a tough group with Spain & Sweden but we got a result in Spain and not many countries can say that. Also we beat Sweden and should have beaten them again in Sweden but we were unlucky to not score a goal or two after totally dominating them in the first half in Stockholm. As I’ve said second place should have been ours but the previous manager made way to many mistakes that campaign that costed us points. I am really looking forward to the euro qualifiers. 

• Like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 7:14 PM, Dean97 said:

I feel you man it's so frustrating. We are not maximizing our youth that are coming up. When and if they do sign for a big club outside of Greece they hardly get any playing time and the big clubs in Greece for the most part play foreigners. You cannot have a successful national team the way the current state of football is IMO. That's why every coach that comes here starts to scramble and resorts back to playing the same old names for the most part with the exception of a couple players. Until we have a better youth program and a the "big dogs" in charge start putting all resources to having a very strong football program and that means the big clubs in the Super league playing mostly Greek born players than nothing will change unfortunately. 

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Konstantelias should definitely get a call up and a cap. Has been killing it in the league and is getting a lot of publicity from teams in England, Spain and France. He has what a lot of Greek players lack, the balls to take on defenders one on one

• Like it 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

He is like nothing we have or even close to it, there is no doubt he needs to be picked, this is why I was pissed off he was not in the crap friendlies we had late last year to get integrated into the team, instead it will be the qualifiers were we wont have played with any of the Ethniki guys but never the less, he needs to be there 100%, we have needed someone like him for years now.

You all have been asking for it and it seems it will be happening, Konstantelias will be called up to the senior squad for the Euro Qualifier v Gibraltar. 

Κωνσταντέλιας: Ο Γκουστάβο Πογέτ έχει τρελαθεί με το "παιδί-θαύμα" του ΠΑΟΚ και τον καλεί για πρώτη φορά στην Ανδρών

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Γιώργος Αθανασιάδης, Αλέξανδρος Πασχαλάκης, Οδυσσέας Βλαχοδήμος, Τζορτζ Μπάλντοκ, Δημήτρης Γιαννούλης, Λάζαρος Ρότα, Κώστας Τσιμίκας, Παντελής Χατζηδιάκος, Κωνσταντίνος Κουλιεράκης, Κωνσταντίνος Μαυροπάνος, Παναγιώτης Ρέτσος, Γιώργος Τζαβέλλας, Τάσος Μπακασέτας, Ανδρέας Μπουχαλάκης, Δημήτρης Κουρμπέλης, Πέτρος Μάνταλος, Γιάννης Παπανικολάου, Μανώλης Σιώπης, Τάσος Χατζηγιοβάνης, Κώστας Φορτούνης, Γιάννης Κωνσταντέλιας, Δημήτρης Λημνιός, Γιώργος Μασούρας, Δημήτρης Πέλκας, Γιώργος Γιακουμάκης, Φώτης Ιωαννίδης, Βαγγέλης Παυλίδης.

Edited by PaokCT
  • Like it 2

We've come a long way from having no strikers to now having too many to call up! Douvikas misses out despite being in solid form for Utrecht. I have no complaints with the 3 strikers who have been called up, but Douvikas can consider himself unlucky. 

Limnios must be called up more to support and give his teammates a mental boost. He hasn't played for Koln yet since returning from his knee injury but he has had some minutes for their youth team. 

A little surprised Retsos has been called up, he's been very average for Olympiako this year. Not sure why Poyet doesn't like Nikolaou, called him up a year ago for his first matches in charge and he hasn't been seen since. Despite being a starter in Serie A for close to 2 years.

I can see the logic with the Tzavellas call-up (he wants a 'senior' center back in the squad) even if I don't agree with it. 

An inform Fortounis can only do good for the Ethniki, if he and Konstantelias get on the pitch together we are going to see some magic. 

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

3 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

We've come a long way from having no strikers to now having too many to call up! Douvikas misses out despite being in solid form for Utrecht. I have no complaints with the 3 strikers who have been called up, but Douvikas can consider himself unlucky. 

Limnios must be called up more to support and give his teammates a mental boost. He hasn't played for Koln yet since returning from his knee injury but he has had some minutes for their youth team. 

A little surprised Retsos has been called up, he's been very average for Olympiako this year. Not sure why Poyet doesn't like Nikolaou, called him up a year ago for his first matches in charge and he hasn't been seen since. Despite being a starter in Serie A for close to 2 years.

I can see the logic with the Tzavellas call-up (he wants a 'senior' center back in the squad) even if I don't agree with it. 

An inform Fortounis can only do good for the Ethniki, if he and Konstantelias get on the pitch together we are going to see some magic. 

Good call ups. Good points. The NT now has some solid strikers to call up on. Can’t wait to see Fortounis back in the fold and hopefully playing alongside the super talented Konstantellias. 

Regarding the call ups, I’m not totally satisfied with them. 

I don’t think players like Papanikolaou, Rota are ready to play for Greece. Tzavellas doesn’t need to be there as he’s old and we have better. Nikolaou plays Serie A every week and deserves a call up. Lykogiannis and Kyriakopoulos play in the league too every week and Lykogiannis scored and Kyriakopoulos got 2 assists recently. 

Players like Tzolis and Alexandropoulos can help this team massively in my opinion. Tzolis was fantastic recently for Norwich and Alexandropoulos is our best CM in my opinion. He should be there instead of Papanikolaou. Bouchalakis, Retsos and Chatzigiovannis haven’t played enough to justify a call up. Although I do think Retsos is good player.

What I liked was the inclusion of Fortounis and Konstantelias. Two players that can win you a game. Kotsiras should be there and Douvikas is top scorer for the Dutch league and should’ve been included for sure. 

• Like it 2